PDA

View Full Version : The art of seeing

Argentum
28th February 2012, 03:22 AM
If you didn't catch this then take a look. Well worth seeing I think.
David Hockney - A bigger picture.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01c7wmr/The_Culture_Show_2011_2012_David_Hockney_The_Art_o f_Seeing_A_Culture_Show_Special/

do you rekon you could fill that space? Gursky might take a shot at it.

Trevor Crone
28th February 2012, 07:44 AM
Thanks for this as I missed it first time round and hope to watch it in full this evening.

I have a ticket to see Hockney's current show at the RA. It's not until April. Although I like his work and recognise his contribution to 'modern art' (whatever that may be) I still think this is all painting by numbers. But then being a 'die hard' of this forum and what it represents I'm loyalty bound to say that.;) But perhaps 'real' painters, you know the type who still use paint and brushes, would say photography is and never will be fine art?

'Art', will never be pedestrian, it will forever evolve.

B&W Neil
28th February 2012, 12:08 PM
It was great and we wouldn't have missed a minute of it - may even watch it again tonight :) We thought to items on the wood and the spiralling tunnel of trees fascinating and illustrated well that even a great living artist needs to visit a location many times , and at different times of the year, to get the most out of the landscape.

I shall now stop complaining about there is nothing ever interesting on the TV :cool:

Neil.

Argentum
28th February 2012, 03:29 PM
Thanks for this as I missed it first time round and hope to watch it in full this evening.

I have a ticket to see Hockney's current show at the RA. It's not until April. Although I like his work and recognise his contribution to 'modern art' (whatever that may be) I still think this is all painting by numbers. But then being a 'die hard' of this forum and what it represents I'm loyalty bound to say that.;) But perhaps 'real' painters, you know the type who still use paint and brushes, would say photography is and never will be fine art?

You can consider it a preview of the current RA exhibition, which ends 9th April, so it's well worth watching.

Argentum
28th February 2012, 05:49 PM

Hockney used quite a bit of photography in his own work so there is a connection and he references photography quite a few times in this film. Not sure about the IPADs though.

Trevor Crone
28th February 2012, 05:56 PM
Hockney used quite a bit of photography in his own work so there is a connection and he references photography quite a few times in this film. Not sure about the IPADs though.

He has come under some criticism for using the iPAD, although it's not my thing, I admire 'artists' for using technology across all genres.

TonyMiller
28th February 2012, 08:31 PM
Just watched the show and enjoyed it very much. I liked his films using nine cameras. The change of light and seasons and the movement through the landscape was fascinating - great editing.
Also interesting was his comments about the craft of painting and the skills that can be learnt so as to express 'the poetry'.
I would think, to him, the iPad is another type of brush.

cheers, Tony

Argentum
1st March 2012, 02:22 PM
I shall now stop complaining about there is nothing ever interesting on the TV :cool:
Neil.

You should see this (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b008s9l9/Storyville_Cannibals_in_the_Andes_Stranded!/) for interesting:

photomi7ch
1st March 2012, 08:08 PM
I miissed it also. But the other half didnt :mad: could have told me it was on. Never mind it will have been repeated 100 time by the end of the week:) Thanks for the link.

Martin Aislabie
2nd March 2012, 05:44 PM
I saw it and now have down loaded it too - so I can watch it again at my leisure.

Thought his ideas about seeing and light were very pertinent

Martin

Paul Mitchell
3rd March 2012, 10:46 AM
I was born and grew up in Bridlington, the surrounding countryside, including Woldgate, was my playground as a child. I am therefore somewhat biased when it comes to extolling the virtues of that part of East Yorkshire. Quite a lot of criticism has been leveled at Hockney for his somewhat superficial depiction of this part of the world but love him or hate him there's not many living artists who can fill the RA.