PDA

View Full Version : Changing bags

Carl V
24th May 2012, 08:32 PM
Good evening,

At this moment in time, I'm not able to use my darkroom (which is actually part of my garage joined to the kitchen), so I was looking at purchasing a large changing bag - that way at least I could still carry on processing film in the daylight.

I do have a small bag, but I would like one which can possibly accommodate a Jobo 1540 tank (which can process 4 films together), and the largest I can find is the Paterson version which I think is around 28 inches all round. I was wondering if anyone knew of a larger version, if indeed there are any, or in your experience do you think the size of the Paterson bag may be enough?

Many thanks.

Regards,
Carl.

Richard Gould
24th May 2012, 08:43 PM
Carl, I think Patterson is possibly the only one currently available, but I can't see a problem loading a 1540 tank, 28 inches is quite a big size, think around 2 feet square, you should be able to get everything inside and have room to work.
Richard

Argentum
24th May 2012, 09:01 PM
fuji used to supply one which was used in a lot of labs. I luckily got one second hand a while back. Its huge and is big enough for several tanks including 8x10 (and possibly bigger). Basically it has a solid base which folds in half when its packed so it doesn't take space when not in use. That opens up and has 4 posts which the cube shaped bag is suspended from at each top corner. Two sleeves for getting your hands in there and a big zip for loading it. If you can find one its the best out there.
I think they were made in china as I used to have a link to a chinese supplier but the link no longer works. They may still be being made somewhere if you search the chinese photo sites.

here's one http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310393573826+&item=310393573826

Argentum
24th May 2012, 09:04 PM
failing that lookup photoflex changing bag. I also have one of these but I don't think it is very durable long term.

Carl V
24th May 2012, 09:07 PM
Thanks Richard for your reply. Thinking about it again, yes I think you're right. It does look as though the Paterson bag should be sufficient for my needs. Once I have the films loaded into the tank, I can do the rest in the garage as normal with any luck.

Cheers.

Carl V
24th May 2012, 09:11 PM
failing that lookup photoflex changing bag. I also have one of these but I don't think it is very durable long term.

Thanks for that Argentum. It wouldn't have to be too durable really as hopefully this is just a short term problem, so I'll certainly have a look at the Photoflex as well as Paterson's version. I appreciate your suggestion.

Just noticed your link to the Fuji bag, thank you again for that. That's certainly huge - never seen one like that before. I've seen darkroom 'tents' (I think that's what they're called) that you can accommodate yourself inside, but I'd be struggling to find room for it unfortunately.

Argentum
24th May 2012, 09:31 PM
Thanks for that Argentum. It wouldn't have to be too durable really as hopefully this is just a short term problem, so I'll certainly have a look at the Photoflex as well as Paterson's version. I appreciate your suggestion.

Just noticed your link to the Fuji bag, thank you again for that. That's certainly huge - never seen one like that before. I've seen darkroom 'tents' (I think that's what they're called) that you can accommodate yourself inside, but I'd be struggling to find room for it unfortunately.

It looks bigger than it is in that photo but they are quite sizeable. Really for a busy lab but having used one in a lab I worked in I can say it was brilliant as you could lay out several tanks for loading in one go which is why I bought one. I got lucky and found one from LCE.

MartyNL
24th May 2012, 11:02 PM
Just noticed your link to the Fuji bag, thank you again for that. That's certainly huge - never seen one like that before.

Hi Carl,
I have one of the Fuji darkbox fdb-12's that you're quite welcome to use until you've got your darkroom up and running. Although you would have to pay for the cost of "one-way" postage from the Netherlands to the UK.

I have family in Chester so you wouldn't have to post it back when you're finished with it which is a bonus!

The dimensions as you've seen are L=31" x W=26" x H=24". As you can imagine, all tents get a bit warm inside when used on hot Summer days. It's sturdy and simple to use, takes about 30seconds to set-up and it really doesn't take up too much space.

If you're interested I can look into the cost of postage?

RichardWarom
25th May 2012, 04:04 AM
Calumet do a flat packed popup dark bag that is I believe a good price I have one and it is more that large enough to take jobo tanks as that is what I have used it for up to 4x5. it is very durable and easy to store.
regards
Richard

RichardWarom
25th May 2012, 04:07 AM
Carl
I have just had a look on the Calumet site they still do it and its in stock at £44.95 plus delivery.
regards
Richard

MPerson
25th May 2012, 05:40 AM
Over the years I have bought three different sized bags from Roger Luo (based in UK). He sells heavy duty, double walled, cotton duck bags and the beauty is they do not get your hands damp/sweaty, no static build up and you can throw them in the wash. The largest bag I have is 2ft x 3ft and use it for respooling 400ft reels of Double-X on to 100ft cores for my daylight loaders. Cost me £20.

Roger sells on the auction site (http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/roger_luo).

DaveP
25th May 2012, 09:48 AM
Calumet do a flat packed popup dark bag that is I believe a good price I have one and it is more that large enough to take jobo tanks as that is what I have used it for up to 4x5. it is very durable and easy to store.
regards
Richard

I have one of these, they are genius pieces of kit, great value.

Carl V
25th May 2012, 01:18 PM
Hi Carl,
I have one of the Fuji darkbox fdb-12's that you're quite welcome to use until you've got your darkroom up and running.

Marty, that's very kind of you and I do appreciate your offer. As it happens, this morning I was speaking to a guy who used to attend my local photography club about this and it turns out he still has an old changing bag from years ago which he puts to use every now and again.

The dimensions appear to be the same as the Paterson's bag and has offered to let me try it out to see if it's adequate (I have a feeling it probably will be), in which case I'll order a Paterson bag. If not, I'll take another look at the other recommendations mentioned.

Richard, thanks for mentioning the one on the Calumet site. It looks similar to the one Argentum mentioned last night, so this could be an alternative if the one I'm borrowing doesn't suit.

Can I also thank everyone else who have come up with recommendations for me - that's greatly appreciated. I never realised there were so many varieties of changing bags to be honest.

Dave miller
25th May 2012, 01:42 PM
May I point out in case you hadn't considered the point that a changing tent is much easier to work in than a Bag because the fabric does not lay on your hands and whatever you are trying to work on.

CornishPaul
25th May 2012, 02:57 PM
If you settle on the Paterson bag, be quick as Paterson are out of stock of these at the moment and will not be getting anymore until August.

Argentum
25th May 2012, 03:30 PM
I think dave is correct, a changing tent makes life easier, especially with sheet film, but if its only roll film and a temporary measure then I guesss a bag is good enough.

Carl V
25th May 2012, 04:07 PM
I think dave is correct, a changing tent makes life easier, especially with sheet film, but if its only roll film and a temporary measure then I guesss a bag is good enough.

Sorry, I should have mentioned at the beginning - it's all 35mm film, so I'd have the 1540 tank with 4 spirals to load. I'd agree with you with regards to the tent, it's certainly more practical.

I was just looking at the one at Nova Darkroom just for curiosity but with the dimensions they quote, I think I'd be struggling to accommodate it at the moment in all honesty. Mind you, it would fit into the corner of my living room if I got rid of the television, but somehow I doubt my other half would be very agreeable. :D

Dave miller
25th May 2012, 05:47 PM
Sorry, I should have mentioned at the beginning - it's all 35mm film, so I'd have the 1540 tank with 4 spirals to load. I'd agree with you with regards to the tent, it's certainly more practical.

I was just looking at the one at Nova Darkroom just for curiosity but with the dimensions they quote, I think I'd be struggling to accommodate it at the moment in all honesty. Mind you, it would fit into the corner of my living room if I got rid of the television, but somehow I doubt my other half would be very agreeable. :D

I was thinking of this sort of thing (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Harrison-Pup-Film-Changing-Tent-/180885147892?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a1d9850f4), they are quite small, table top units.

Carl V
25th May 2012, 07:25 PM
I was thinking of this sort of thing (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Harrison-Pup-Film-Changing-Tent-/180885147892?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a1d9850f4), they are quite small, table top units.

I hadn't heard of the Harrison changing tent - yes, this looks ideal and at least I could use it anywhere. Having said that, the work bench in my garage can still be used and after looking at the dimensions on another website, it could be accommodated quite easily. Thanks for that Dave.

Alan Sleator
25th May 2012, 08:02 PM
Try Harrison. I have a Harrison Pup, which is fine for 5 x 4 , however, I believe there is a bigger version which might fit your needs. They are set up with flexible, tensioned, crossed supports, much in the same way that modern tents are erected. The design keeps the material away from both film and processing tanks/ film holders.

Bill
25th May 2012, 08:10 PM
.....however, I believe there is a bigger version which might fit your needs.

It is called the Harrison Jumbo but at full price is £258 from Teamwork.
See http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Harrison-Jumbo-Film-Changing-Tent-Brand-New-/251034858142?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3a72d7f29e#ht_500wt_689

Argentum
25th May 2012, 08:25 PM
The photoflex also folds completely flat, in a couple of seconds. You don't have to assemble it like the harrison tents. It just springs open like those lastolite reflectors.

Carl V
25th May 2012, 08:45 PM
Try Harrison. I have a Harrison Pup, which is fine for 5 x 4 , however, I believe there is a bigger version which might fit your needs. They are set up with flexible, tensioned, crossed supports, much in the same way that modern tents are erected. The design keeps the material away from both film and processing tanks/ film holders.

The Jumbo version at 46 by 28 inches would definitely suit my needs and looks the business, so thanks for your recommendation Alan. What I'll do this weekend is try out the bag which was lent to me and see how I get on, but I get the feeling I'll prefer working without any of the material coming into contact with my hands whilst loading the film onto the spirals, in which case I'll go for either the Harrisons or the Photoflex.

Many thanks again gentlemen for all your help and suggestions. At least now I can begin to clear up some of the backlog of films.

Dave miller
26th May 2012, 07:02 AM
The differences on the two - apart from cost - is one of convenience, the Calumet Changing Room (http://www.calumetphoto.co.uk/eng/product/calumet_changing_room/rm1000) squashes flat when not in use whilst the Harrison Pup (http://www.teamworkphoto.com/harrison-film-changing-tent-p-12281.html) rolls up, which may be better for traveling. The price difference, when new, is considerable. I use a Pup and can confirm that it is a well made product, I have no experience of the Changing Room which looks like good value.

DaveP
26th May 2012, 07:50 AM
I find the calumet fine for travelling. Being flat when folded it fits well in the top of a normal suitcase or one of those big North Face MI6 bodybags.

paulc
26th May 2012, 07:51 AM
For a long while, I used a jumbo sized changing bag for all my film needs up to and including 5x4. I would use a cardboard box inside to keep the cloth away from my hands and the film - It worked quite well but proved to be a pain in the proverbial when traveling and I needed to reload film holders.

Purchased one of the Calumet pop-up jobbies earlier this year to use on holiday - Fairly light, simple and quick to set up with just about enough room to handle 5x4. It has a little more vertical headroom that the Harrison which can be advantageous at times. The downside is that the corners are somewhat curved which limits the amount of floor space available.

Finally acquired a Harrison Pup recently to use in the field - Not used it in anger yet, but it packs down a lot smaller than the Camulet. It has a square footprint which gives a little more space to work with multiple film holders. Being of a squashed dome construction, space at the sides is restricted, but adequate for most tasks. The Harrison is quite expensive even second hand with tatty examples sometimes costing as much as a new Calumet over on ebay*.

If you plan on traveling and use a large suitcase or need plenty of headroom, get the Calumet. For those like myself that need something that packs down small and require floorspace in a small footprint, the Harrison Pup fits the bill.

*) I see one seller in China does a Harrison knock-off in three different sizes. Might be worth a look if the Harrison prices make you wince.

MartyNL
26th May 2012, 08:05 AM
Excellent review Paul. I have both.

The Harrison is great for 4x5 and travel but a bit of a pain to put up and down quickly and frequently. For large format, I find I have enough film holders to use the tent just once or twice a day.

Therefore, I picked up the Calumet changing room especially for IR roll-film. I wanted something inexpensive and fast as the Fuji GSW 690 gobbles up film!

Carl V
26th May 2012, 05:21 PM
The differences on the two - apart from cost - is one of convenience, the Calumet Changing Room (http://www.calumetphoto.co.uk/eng/product/calumet_changing_room/rm1000) squashes flat when not in use whilst the Harrison Pup (http://www.teamworkphoto.com/harrison-film-changing-tent-p-12281.html) rolls up, which may be better for traveling. The price difference, when new, is considerable. I use a Pup and can confirm that it is a well made product, I have no experience of the Changing Room which looks like good value.

Thanks for your help Dave, I'm glad you find the Harrisons are well made as it looks as though this may be the one for me.

If you plan on traveling and use a large suitcase or need plenty of headroom, get the Calumet. For those like myself that need something that packs down small and require floorspace in a small footprint, the Harrison Pup fits the bill.

Paul, a big thank you, that's a great review of the two items and has helped me to come to a decision. It seems like the Harrison will suit me better. At the moment I'm only planning on using it at home and bearing in mind its dimensions, I have a table onto which I can use it for loading my spirals.

I have tried the bag which a friend lent to me and although I managed to muddle my way through, so to speak, found that I would have liked a little more room inside and also preferred not having the cloth over my hands whilst trying to work.

Martin Aislabie
27th May 2012, 05:22 PM
I have a regular Harrison Changing Tent - http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/harrison-original-tent.html

It rolls up to a surprisingly small space.

Mine will take X film holders and its large - a "Pup" was designed for X

Having messed around for years with changing bags loading Paterson and Jobo tanks, the Harrison Tent was a revelation.

Yes they are expensive (£228 new for a Pup) but they are huge step forward from a regular "grovel bag"

The think takes no more than about a minute to erect and about the same to put away.

Martin

Carl V
27th May 2012, 06:56 PM
Martin, that's excellent. Thank you very much for your comments.

Interestingly, I was comparing the sizes between the Harrison 'Pup' and the 'Original' and I'd say the latter would suit me better for my needs, so I'm pleased you're happy with yours. Thanks again.

Maris
28th May 2012, 01:06 AM
I used to make changing bags seem bigger by stuffing the biggest possible cardboard carton into them. With appropriate arm holes cut into the cardboard the interior space is all workable and the bag does not droop into what you are trying to do. Beer cartons work for me but I guess whisky or champagne cartons would do in a pinch.

Martin Aislabie
28th May 2012, 09:52 PM
Martin, that's excellent. Thank you very much for your comments.

Interestingly, I was comparing the sizes between the Harrison 'Pup' and the 'Original' and I'd say the latter would suit me better for my needs, so I'm pleased you're happy with yours. Thanks again.

Carl, I am very happy with mine

One of the best investments I have made

If I lost mine tomorrow, I would go out and buy a replacement without hesitation

Martin

Carl V
8th June 2012, 10:11 PM
Hello again, just to put you in the picture, I have ordered the Jumbo sized Harrison changing tent from Teamwork. I tried Robert White initially but they told me they weren't expecting any Harrison tents for a couple of weeks. I then tried Teamwork who informed me they were on special order only, but they phoned me back to let me know their suppliers have just had them in and it would be in their shop by Tuesday (full marks to Teamwork). So with any luck, I should have it by this time next week. I can honestly say I'm really looking forward to receiving it.

May I also take this opportunity to thank everybody again who have offered me suggestions and advice. You have all been very helpful indeed and I greatly appreciate it.

Regards,

Carl.

Martin Aislabie
12th June 2012, 08:43 PM
Glad you got yourself sorted out - the Jumbo size will be huge

I hope you are as happy with your Changing Tent as I am with mine.

A tip someone told me is to give your hands an extended wash in cold water to cool them down before you start, as it can get quite warm inside the changing bag with extended use

Martin