PDA

View Full Version : Center filter

Jacques
25th June 2012, 06:39 PM
Hi,
Does anyone use a center filter on their wide angle lenses. I've read that when you are using ultra wide angle lenses it is better to use one. By ultra wide angle lenses does a 75mm wide angle fits the profil or they are more talking of 58mm- 65mm lenses.
Thank you Jacques

photomi7ch
25th June 2012, 06:53 PM
Jacque in relation to which format?

I use a 28mm wide angles on Nikon.

vincent
25th June 2012, 08:35 PM
Jacque I have an XPAN II panorama camera and they advice you to use a center filter when shooting colour film. I never bought one as I'm inclined to shoot only B&W film with it. The filter was quite expensive was another reason that I never bought one.

StanW
25th June 2012, 09:07 PM
The 47mm lens which I use on my 4x5 Sinar Handy certainly needs a centre filter, but the cost says NO.

DaveP
25th June 2012, 09:48 PM
General feeling with 5x4 seems to be that almost nobody uses a CF with 90mm lenses, some people do on 75/80mm, and quite a lot of people will do on 65/58mm. Of course this depends on what film you're shooting, its more of an issue with transparency film. I used a CF with my 65mm lens with slide filme, but if I can't take the 1.5 stop drop in shutter speed its certainly far from disastrous if I chose not to use it.

MartyNL
25th June 2012, 09:50 PM
Hi Jacques,
It may depend on whether you're shooting negs or chromes?
I find neg film more forgiving than chromes and especially B&W.

For 4x5 B&W I've never found that I've needed one on the 75mm and above but then they all have a good image circle.

For my 65mm it only just covers 4x5 so vignetting is much more pronounced but fine with a 6x12 roll film back.

Neil Smith
25th June 2012, 10:38 PM
I use a CF with my 65mm lens on 5x4 shooting transparencies as mentioned here, there is substantial fall of which can be unwanted on slides.

Neil

Jon Butler
26th June 2012, 08:01 AM
I've found no need to use a C/F with any of my 5x4 wide angle lenses including the 47XL.
A bit of falloff on a B&W negative is a plus too me.
J.

Jacques
26th June 2012, 12:30 PM
Thank you all for your answers. I use mostly black and white film (HP5+, FP4+) and rarely transparencies. And like a lot of you I find the price is much to high.

Martin Aislabie
28th June 2012, 11:45 AM
I have a 1.5 stop CF which I bought with my 90mm f6.8

Shooting back to back - with and without it - you can see the difference in the prints when viewed side by side.

However, I tend to burn my edges in on prints anyway - so I get at least some dodging for free if I don't use a CF.

Its not actually the Focal Length that dictates the need for a CF but the angle of view.

An overall viewing angle of 70 deg produces at 1 stop fall off in the corners, 90 deg 2 stops, 100 deg 2.5 stops, 110 deg 3.2 stops and 120 deg 4 stops

However, you use extreme viewing angles with very wide angle lenses

The Schneider 210 XL and 110 XL lenses both have CF filters available as they have a 110 deg viewing angle.

Well thats the theory bit out of the way - practically, you should save your money and only splash out on a CF when you feel you need one.

If you do buy one - try to ensure it will fit a few of your wide angle lenses - that way it feels better when paying the eye watering prices.

Most people seem to feel they can do without.

Martin :)

Jacques
28th June 2012, 06:44 PM
Thank you Martin for your comments.