PDA

View Full Version : Interesting reading

Argentum
1st December 2012, 07:17 PM
For those who want to sell prints online the following makes for interesting reading.

The link is from page 5 of 6. All 6 are worth reading but this link has some pertinent statistics from a very busy website.

http://www.terragalleria.com/blog/2011/11/02/my-internet-based-photography-business/

now how many visits does your website get a year?

RichardWarom
2nd December 2012, 05:50 AM
Thanks for posting this, it is an interesting and well balanced article from someone who knows what he can and cannot be and can and cannot do. He also has a realistic expectation of results. I dont have a website currently but plan to setting one up next year.
Richard

Argentum
2nd December 2012, 08:59 AM
The real point about this is that it takes him 21,000 visits to sell a print. Now that figure is a very high number of visits to make a single sale and I'm sure it could be improved upon. i.e. A much better conversion rate could be achieved for some people. But even so you still need a very high number of visits to make a sale. Most people would be doing well to get 100 visits a day or 36500 a year which is a long way short of 6 million.
In short you need a very large website (lot of images) and a lot of text to make it work and most people just never get to that starting point with their website. We can dream though...

Mike O'Pray
2nd December 2012, 03:37 PM
The alternative is to drive through N Mexico late one afternoon in the 1940s :D

pentaxuser

Argentum
2nd December 2012, 04:23 PM
The alternative is to drive through N Mexico late one afternoon in the 1940s :D

pentaxuser

either that or learn how to overprint a sky:eek:

someone got disqualified for doing that.

AaronEmmett
29th April 2013, 12:08 PM
either that or learn how to overprint a sky:eek:

someone got disqualified for doing that.

Who is that someone?? ;)