PDA

View Full Version : Richard Lee in the AP.

Bill
11th January 2013, 10:26 PM
I have received notification that FADU member Richard Lee is to be showcased in the Reader Spotlight pages of the AP dated 19/1/13.

I have copied his words verbatim here:

"Dear Richard,

Just a quick email to let you know that some of your images will be used within the Reader Spotlight pages of Amateur Photographer (issue dated 19/1/13). This issue will be available to buy in the shops from Tuesday 15 January.

Kind regards,

Paula Benn
Picture Desk

Although hardly a major exhibition; I was hoping you might care to make it known on FADU that next weeks edition of AP is well-worth buying! Too early to give up my day job, maybe!

Anyway, along with my photo submissions, I did bang the drum for the cause of analogue photography so I hope that comes through loud and clear... "

If you have any questions I am sure Richard will be happy to respond.

Thanks to Richard for banging the drum for analogue and hopefully FADU.

Bill

Mike O'Pray
11th January 2013, 11:26 PM
I still browse AP most weeks in my local library but the last issue there was in November 2012. For some reason that nobody can give me there always seems to be a problem with renewing the contract with AP to supply and this isn't the first time there has been a problem with AP's renewal.

I have raised it twice to no avail. This post has made me determined to kick up another fuss on Sat or Mon. It is little wonder that local authority consumers and I suspect some members of the government cast a jaundiced eye towards the administration of local government.

Mike

MartyNL
12th January 2013, 09:13 AM
Congratulations Richard, pleased to see you and your work are getting some recognition.:)

Richard Lee
12th January 2013, 05:51 PM
Thanks again for your support, Marty. As always, first off the mark with a kind and encouraging response. The announcement is relatively small-fry for this forum I know, but the intention this year was somehow, to push my photography forward. A pleasing enough start me thinks.

Best regards,

Richard

B&W Neil
12th January 2013, 06:27 PM
Well done. Richard.

Unfortunately, I no longer take AP but it is good to hear they are still show-casing analogue photography.

Neil.

Richard Lee
13th January 2013, 05:17 PM
Unfortunately, I no longer take AP...
Neil.

Neil,

Many thanks for your comment. Perhaps you'll make an exception for the forthcoming issue... Still a far better read than 'Black + Mauve Photography' IMHO. :shock:

Regards,

Richard

alexmuir
16th January 2013, 07:49 PM
I was very impressed with the pictures published in AP. It is the kind of work I enjoy, and aspire to. I think it will also make others aware that proper film-based photography is still going strong. I like the way that film and careful darkroom work can create scenes with a mystical quality, and yet retain a truly natural feel. Similar scenes created electronically always tend to look too contrived for my taste. Well done, Richard! Alex.

vincent
17th January 2013, 11:41 AM
Congratulations Richard, I saw your work in AP. I'm sure that's a great boost for your work and website when you have it back up and running. I do like your approach to landscape photography and I'm sure that this publication will spur on your efforts to even greater heights.

photomi7ch
19th January 2013, 12:29 PM
Well done Richard :)

Richard Lee
20th January 2013, 03:20 PM
A sincere 'thank you' again, to all those who took the time to comment on my recent – if modest, achievement. As always, I am humbled by the response to my work – especially coming from my far more able peers here on FADU.

On the whole, I think AP did me proud and this, made all the more sweeter by virtue of the fact that they approached me in the first instance – rather than the reverse. I was particularly interested in Alex's thoughtful observation (above) wherein he describes computer generated images as 'looking too contrived'. Perhaps it would be too vain of me to hope that a goodly number of AP readers will be moved to consider dusting-down their old Nikon F.

In any event, this has re-ignited my enthusiasm to make more images and I'm resolved to brave the Cumbrian weather far more frequently. I've also recently joined the RPS with the sole intention of gaining a distinction. I find that setting such targets serves to increase my often flagging motivation.

My one overriding ambition however, is to find a Gallery willing to display – and hopefully, sell my work. So, if there's anyone out there in FADU land – perhaps even one of our long-established Big Guns; who might be prepared to bring their influence to bear – I'd very much like to hear from you...

Best regards,

Richard

Terry S
20th January 2013, 04:25 PM
Yes, very well done Richard on your photo spread.

As it turns out I have just cancelled a very long subscription of two photo mags that I have delivered, as I have a pile from the previous year still to be read. I just don't seem to have the time to look at them other than a VERY quick browse when they come through the letter box of late. :(

BUT, the last copy of AP that I did get was the one with your work in it. :)

Your work being published though has prompted me to sort out and send some work off to some magazines that I had thought suitable last year and then forgotten about doing so... :)

You say that you were approached by the magazine? Very interesting, since they must get so much work sent to them, which gives your work even greater validation.

Did they say why or how they found your work in the first place?

Terry S