PDA

View Full Version : Bromoil exhibition

Brian Iddon
19th January 2013, 09:19 PM
The Bromoil Circle of Great Britain are holding an exhibition of current members work and images drawn from the circles archive at the Fotospace Gallery,Rothes Halls,Genrothes.Fife from 20th Feb to 16th May. On the 28th April we are holding a Bromoil workshop under the instruction of Kenneth Hill FRPS (£25.00),places available.

Also we have just produced a new booklet 'An Introduction to Bromoil' Chapters on new working methods,new materials etc (£6.50 inc P&P)

Mike O'Pray
20th January 2013, 12:02 AM
At £25 the workshop sounds like good value, Brian. Pity Glenrothes is so far to the North of me. You might get a certain Mr G Brown on the workshop. He could almost walk there :D

Mike

petemcarthur
20th January 2013, 10:22 AM
Really quite interested in the exhibition and workshop. Can you let us know more details of how to get a place on the workshop?

Pete

Terry S
21st January 2013, 12:34 PM
It would be great if this exhibition could go on tour, as only having read about Bromoils, I have yet to see one in the flesh. :(

Being at the other end of the country, the Beecroft Gallery in Southend (http://www.southendmuseums.co.uk/) is a great little local gallery near me, if I could make the first suggestion of where it could go on tour, just in case any one connected with it is reading this forum. ;)

Terry S

petemcarthur
28th April 2013, 07:53 PM
Just back from this workshop , very interesting and informative. I think I may now have RSI :-)

Terry S
29th April 2013, 08:37 AM
Just back from this workshop , very interesting and informative.

Be great to see some of your results in the gallery Pete... :)

Terry S

petemcarthur
29th April 2013, 01:28 PM
I'd be happy to scan the print I did but we were provided with the print (matrix) so it's not really my work, all it did was jab it with a brush with some ink. My wrist is still sore! I do intend to try it on one of my prints when I can find a suitable paper, the
Bromoil people are all still using Kentmere document from many years ago.

Terry S
29th April 2013, 03:40 PM
I'd be happy to scan the print I did but we were provided with the print (matrix) so it's not really my work, all it did was jab it with a brush with some ink. Bromoil people are all still using Kentmere document from many years ago.

Fair enough Pete and I'm sure in this process a scan would no where near give you a proper copy of what one can see in the hand?

Did they not recommend any more modern / easily got paper to use rather than the Kentmere Document?

I've read a lot about the process and always wanted to give it a try but you do make it seem like really hard work! ;)

Terry S

petemcarthur
29th April 2013, 04:26 PM
I have to say that I have mild arthritis in my hands and wrist so while I was suffering, the rest of the workshop were fine. Interestingly the person with the best result was a painter & decorator, the stippling action was second nature to him. The bromoil circle do a booklet that is well a few quid and it gives instructions for Ilford Multigrade Matt (i assume it is MG IV) and Ilford MG Art 300 although one of the participant had tried MG Art 300 without much luck. Apparently one of the Slavich papers worked well, but a new batch of the same paper didn't work at all. There is some hope that if enough people prod Ilford the may do a run of the Kentmere, I won't hold my breath!

I don't think a scan could remotely duplicate the look of the Bromoil. Until yesterday I had never seen one in the flesh but was quite astounded by the look of some of the prints, very delicate and detailed.

Terry S
29th April 2013, 04:52 PM
Thanks again Pete for your reply.

I have read bits in various books that I have but might invest in the booklet the Bromoil Society produce.

It's something else to go on my list of things photographic that I would like to try = when I get the time! ;)

In the mean time I will keep an eye out for the ever elusive Bromoil exhibition close-ish to me, so I can see one in the flesh.

Terry S

Brian Iddon
12th May 2013, 02:01 PM
I have this exhibition intact,and I am looking for a venue for it for early next year. Any suggestions re gallery space would be appreciated.

Terry S
12th May 2013, 02:12 PM
It would be great if this exhibition could go on tour, as only having read about Bromoils, I have yet to see one in the flesh. :(

Being at the other end of the country, the Beecroft Gallery in Southend (http://www.southendmuseums.co.uk/) is a great little local gallery near me, if I could make the first suggestion of where it could go on tour, just in case any one connected with it is reading this forum. ;)

Terry S

Hi Brian,

Can I republish my earlier comment and suggest one of my local galleries, which are very up for showing photographic work, especially something a little different. I have a project about 'Essex Tea Dances' (regrettably digital, even though I put forward a film based project, which will now be shown in my local library) being considered for next years diary of events and I'm sure the Bromoil project would be of interest = to me at least, as I would love to see it! :D

If this sounds of interest to you Brian, let me know and I will sort out the persons email to make contact with, who deals with this side of things and PM it to you.

Terry S.

Brian Iddon
13th May 2013, 08:21 PM
Hi Terry,

Please let me have a contact email address and I will look into it,although I was hoping for somewhere more central.

BRIAN

Terry S
14th May 2013, 10:23 AM
Okay, understandable Brian but it is a good exhibition site and from that who knows?...

I'm PM you the guys email address directly after making a cuppa tea as it's way past 11am!!! :)

Terry S