PDA

View Full Version : Cambs and surrounding counties

CambsIan
22nd January 2013, 10:43 AM
Hi would there be any interest in an informal evening gathering in Cambs ?

Maybe June time (?) hopefully light nights and better weather.

Maybe in Yaxley, near Peterborough just of the A1 for ease of access ?

If enough interest, might possibly be persuaded to try to co-ordinate one.

Ian

photomi7ch
22nd January 2013, 03:28 PM
I'll second you for the job Ian. :) Id be happy to come along.

Xpres
22nd January 2013, 05:28 PM
Sound good and you have my vote... Why Yaxley?

CambsIan
22nd January 2013, 06:42 PM
Hi Xpress,

Just that it is close to the A1, there is a place there called the Farmers Arms that has a small room that can be hired for a relatively small price for 3 - 4 hours in an evening and has access to a bar, tea and coffee ( and a restaurant if anybody wants ), also has quite a bit of parking on site, and as I live in P'boro it is close enough for me to visit in person to make arrangements if this idea takes off.

The Farmers Carvery & Grill
200 Broadway
Yaxley
Peterborough
PE7 3NT

http://www.thefarmersyaxley.co.uk/

Would somewhere like this be suitable do you think ?

Ian

AlanJones
22nd January 2013, 11:37 PM
Hi Ian,

I think I am going to have to say no as Yaxley is a bit too far out for me, unless someone is offering a lift from the station and back after. Living less than a mile from central Cambridge and the station, I find I don't need a car.

Last year I attended a meet-up with FADU friends and only three of us turned up, but we still had a great evening. So it may be prudent to think about a venue where there are no room charges, just in case, but you may not know how many will turn up until the night. I tried to do a meet-up here last year, but the good pubs tend to be the smaller ones and they are the well supported 'ale' pubs. If more than five people turned up at say later than 19.30 there may not be room for them to sit together. What I did find worrying was the prospect that as Cambridge is a tourist destination was that there would be many people turning up after a days photography with a venue being crowded out by us and me the in the bad books of the pub landlord.

I have not totally given up on the idea yet.

CambsIan
23rd January 2013, 05:22 AM
Hi Alan, thanks for the thoughts. I must admit my first thought was for somewhere in the centre of P'boro, but to be honest I was at bit of a loss as to where to suggest. But as this is just an idea at this stage, plenty of time to consider where and when. So don't give up hope yet. As for a lift, I like you live and work in the city centre,but I have no driving licence, and will rely on the "good lady" to get me there, pretty sure I could persuade her to pick you up and take us both. Hopefully we will get a few more replies in due course.

Ian

RichardWarom
23rd January 2013, 06:23 AM
Hi Ian
I would certainly be interested.
Regards
Richard

Xpres
23rd January 2013, 03:15 PM
The place in Yaxley looks convenient, but it doesn't look like the cosiest of venues. If it were there, though, I'd be happy to give lifts if necessary as I'd be coming past Cambridge. Maybe somewhere in Cambridge would be better?
Are you thinking of a weekend or weekday?

CambsIan
23rd January 2013, 05:43 PM
Must admit I had not got as far as when. Venue not set either, Farmers was a possibility, but by no means the be all and end all.

I would be quite happy to look for somewhere else, what sort of thing would those interested in attending like me to look for, are there any preferences as to which day ?

If it were to move to Cambridge think I would need to pass the baton to Alan ( if he would take it ) as his local knowledge would be needed.

As said before very early days plenty of time to come up with a time and place that suits all.

Opinions from all welcome.

Ian

AlanJones
23rd January 2013, 09:08 PM
Personally, I would support meet-ups in Peterborough, Kings Lynn or Downham Market, Bishops Stortford and Ipswich. I take the view that it is interesting to meet others who share the same interest and there is the opportunity to learn. Hopefully there would be a high proportion of fresh faces in the different areas giving more depth to techniques used.

Peterborough is appealing because of its location and offers the prospects meeting fellow enthusiasts from the other East Midland counties as well as Cambs, Norfolk and Herts.

About ten years ago I did an evening course at Peterborough Regional College and used to have a beer in the bar The Great Northern Hotel while I waited for my train. There are the shopping centre car parks, and the rail station opposite. It was pretty dingy then but I expect it has been refurbished by now. It may be worth a look?

Next week I will re-visit some local pubs and try again to see if one of them would welcome a group of about six of us.

CambsIan
24th January 2013, 05:16 AM
Hi Alan, great minds think alike, I had the Great Northern in mind, but was unsure if the bar was open to non residents, will have to send them an email to see what they say.

Ian

AlanJones
24th January 2013, 10:11 AM
It might be an idea to go down and have a look at the bar though as when I was last there I can only say it was in urgent need of refurbishment.

On the plus side, the Abbot Ale was always excellent.

Enjoy.

Michael S
24th January 2013, 10:19 AM
It might be an idea to go down and have a look at the bar though...

The sacrifices we make!

CambsIan
25th January 2013, 04:15 PM
How about this as an idea, instead of an evening how about a Saturday afternoon ? Was thinking along the lines of perhaps a guided tour followed by a photo session in and around Peterborough Cathedral topped off by a pie (or something similar) and a pint somewhere.

Not sure if they do a guided tour but can certainly find out, the cost of a photo permit for inside the Cathedral is £3 at present and tripods are allowed, they normally just ask that you don't put them in the middle of the aisles etc.

What do you all think ? Any interest in the idea ? Would this suit better than an evening ? Also might be easier for others to attend an afternoon as well.

Regards
Ian

photomi7ch
25th January 2013, 04:47 PM
How about this as an idea, instead of an evening how about a Saturday afternoon ? Was thinking along the lines of perhaps a guided tour followed by a photo session in and around Peterborough Cathedral topped off by a pie (or something similar) and a pint somewhere.

Not sure if they do a guided tour but can certainly find out, the cost of a photo permit for inside the Cathedral is £3 at present and tripods are allowed, they normally just ask that you don't put them in the middle of the aisles etc.

What do you all think ? Any interest in the idea ? Would this suit better than an evening ? Also might be easier for others to attend an afternoon as well.

Regards
Ian

That sounds good to me. I have been a regular visitor to Peterbourgh but have not had the chance to look at the cathedral.

Xpres
25th January 2013, 05:26 PM
Saturday afternoon is a great idea...

CambsIan
25th January 2013, 06:40 PM
Just had a quick peek at the Cathedral Website

http://www.peterborough-cathedral.org.uk/

Looks like they do several tours, how fit do we all feel ? The Tower Tour looks a bit different

Have a wander round the website see if anything takes your fancy, all ideas welcome

AlanJones
26th January 2013, 02:32 AM
Sorry, I am going to have to cry off on the idea of a Saturday afternoon meet-up. We keep Saturday as a family day and do something every week,.

Knowing Peterborough City Centre very well, I have to say I don't think I an fit enough to endure the walking following recent surgery.

CambsIan
26th January 2013, 04:41 AM
Sorry to hear that you can't make a Saturday, if anything changes I'll let you know.

Ian

RichardWarom
26th January 2013, 04:46 AM
Hi Ian
The Cathedral idea sounds good, How far is the rail station from the Cathedral as that might be a good option for me if the times are right as trains run from Hinckley through to Peterborough, I don't fancy driving up to and trying to park in Peterborough on a Saturday.
regards
Richard

paulc
26th January 2013, 10:31 AM
About half a mile or a ten minute walk. No hills to climb, so you don't have to worry about altitude sickness.

Using google maps, the postcodes are: (Railway station) PE1 1QL to PE1 1XS (Cathedral).

CambsIan
26th January 2013, 11:06 AM
Hi Richard, as Paul says, abt a 10 min walk from station. Think there may even be a signpost that polnts the way. If not no prob can provide directions, really straight forward.

RichardWarom
26th January 2013, 12:34 PM
Thanks guys 10 min no problem not heart attack stuff will find train times.
Cheers
Richard

CambsIan
27th January 2013, 07:27 PM
Looks like this could be a go, will contact the cathedral to inquire if a small group needs to do anything in advance, or if it can all be done on the day. Will also ask what dates (if any) the Tower Tours are on in case one, more, or all of us want to go on one. I know that these have to be prebooked

Will post here once I have the reply, hope that's ok.

Ian

Bob
29th January 2013, 04:56 PM
Looking on the Cathedral website it appears they can arrange tours for small groups outside normal hours (http://www.peterborough-cathedral.org.uk/group-visits.html). Possibly worth asking if that is possible and if tripods can be used in that case?

CambsIan
29th January 2013, 08:31 PM
Just got reply from Cathedral, this is what they said

Thank you for your e-mail regarding a visit to Peterborough Cathedral.

We do run ad-hoc Cathedral Tours every day except for Sundays – they are always at 2pm, apart from a Wednesday when they are at 11am. If there are six or seven of you then it is not a problem at all just to turn up on the day and book into a tour. If your group gets any larger than that then it would be best to book a group tour via me.

We are in the process of organising the dates for the 2013 Tower Tours and they will be published soon on our website. Once published you can then book places via me – we have a limit of 13 people per tower tour. The prices for Tower Tours has changed slightly this year - £10 adults, £8 Concessions and £3 child (aged 10-18 years old). We will be taking payment in advance for tower tours this year.

I trust this will help you in the first instance, however please do contact me if you require any further information.

We look forward to welcoming your group later this year.

As regards tripods I have never had a problem using them, I have just been asked to not put them in the middle of an aisle or where people can easily tripover them.

Ian

CambsIan
5th February 2013, 06:24 PM
Hi All, still no news on any tour dates, do we want to pick a date now that suits all of us ? So that we can add it into our diaries ? Maybe even re-list the get together under something like "Peterborugh Cathedral get together on *** of *** " to see if we get any other people interested

Your thoughts please.

Ian

RichardWarom
6th February 2013, 04:47 AM
Hi Ian
I think it might be good to re-list as you suggest then if you start by choosing a date you can see what the response is and move the date if needed.
regards
Richard

Xpres
6th February 2013, 08:28 AM
Yes, just pick a date and start a new thread. The sooner in the diary the better for me.