PDA

View Full Version : Converting a Helios 44 lens to Nikon F Mount

Steve Smith
20th February 2013, 08:58 PM
A few days ago on another forum, there was a discussion about using a Helios 44 lens on a Nikon. You can buy adaptors to fit M42 lenses to Nikons but as the Nikon register distance is 1.04mm longer than M42, it is not possible to get infinity focus (unless you use an adaptor with a lens element).

As I have three of these lenses, I decided to see if I could convert one to Nikon F mount.

I removed the existing mount/back plate and measured its thickness at 6.6mm. Then I took a Nikon F mount off of an old, broken, third party Nikon fit lens. After filing down a ridge on the back, this measured 4mm thick so I would now be 2.6mm closer than before. To get to the correct distance, I needed a spacer 1.56mm thick. I had some 1.5mm black plastic which was close enough so I made a spacer which was a bit larger diameter than the mount in order for it to act in its other capacity as a flange to stop the aperture ring from falling off.

Anyway, I proved to myself that it can be done.

http://stevesmithphoto.webs.com/DSCN0163.jpg

And then today I read that these were made in Nikon F and Pentax K mounts so I needn't have bothered!

Steve.

EdBray
20th February 2013, 09:33 PM
My question would have been Why? A poor 50mm Nikkor lens was usually better than a good Helios 58mm.

Steve Smith
21st February 2013, 05:42 AM
Why? Only because I had three of them and a broken lens with an F mount... so why not?

Steve.

John King
21st February 2013, 08:12 AM
It was a good exercise in fine engineering to be able to do that irrespective of the resulting lens/camera fitment. Nicely done. It doesn't look out of place on the F601. Would it have been possible to arrange for a lug to catch on the apperture ring?

Paulographic
21st February 2013, 08:35 AM
I once made something from black plastic plumbing tubes, Araldite and an F mount from a broken third party lens to use a five and half inch Ross Xpres with my Nikon. Just for fun.The results were good, obviously using the "sweet spot" I assumed. I reprinted some a couple of weeks ago.
The lens cost me £1 was from about the mid twenties, uncoated and in an American shutter that woked only on T. The shutter mechanism didn't seem to use an escapement and my regular camera mechanic couldn't get it going. To avoid flare I shot in studio conditions and with a stepping ring glued to the front could use a lens hood. Now in the hands of someone who likes to play with large format.
I used to do lots of things like this but nowadays it's easier to pick up something cheap and ready made.

Steve Smith
21st February 2013, 02:07 PM
Would it have been possible to arrange for a lug to catch on the apperture ring?

I could do that but the camera would not be able to close down the lens when the shutter is pressed so I made it completely manual.

I think these lenses are at their best wide open anyway.

I once made something from black plastic plumbing tubes, Araldite and an F mount from a broken third party lens to use a five and half inch Ross Xpres with my Nikon.

This has started me thinking "what else can I change to F mount?".

Steve.

John King
21st February 2013, 06:58 PM
I could do that but the camera would not be able to close down the lens when the shutter is pressed so I made it completely manual.

I think these lenses are at their best wide open anyway.

This has started me thinking "what else can I change to F mount?".
Steve.

How about a prismatic lens from a lighthouse? Nah that would be silly, there isn't a diaphagm!

JamesK
25th February 2013, 09:18 AM
I must admit my first reaction to this was "why bother", then I thought of mounting a Jupiter 8 lens on one of my Nikons to get those fantastic "Russian" colours without having to squint through the rangefinder window of a Zorki 4.