PDA

View Full Version : Loading film holder when traveling by plane

Jacques
16th March 2013, 11:26 PM
Hi everyone,
In september I intend to take the plane to travel inside Canada (I live in Canada). I will bring with me my 5x4 and I was wondering if it is ok to load the film holders before I leave and keep them with me in my carry-on baggage. I know I can buy a changing tent and load the holders later but changing tents are not cheap and I don't travel very often by plane.
Thank you
Jacques

Barry
17th March 2013, 09:48 AM
Jacques, there is no difference between keeping your film in it's original packaging or in film holders from the point of view of luggage scanning. It is imperative however that you keep it in your hand luggage and not in the hold. This is most important if you are transferring between flights as your hold baggage may be subjected to multiple scans.

Lostlabours
17th March 2013, 10:40 AM
I travel with the film holders empty while flying as DDS are bulky and best in checked luggage while a few boxes of film are easy to slip in a pocket or a carry-on bag.

Even with carry on multiple flights can mean numerous scans, some airports scan on arrival as well as departure,.

Ian

Barry
17th March 2013, 12:48 PM
I have not had any issues with carry on baggage after multiple scans. But you should be aware that transfer hold luggage is subject to high energy scans at many major airports.

Jacques
17th March 2013, 01:30 PM
Thank you for your responses and according to Air Canada policies I can ask the screener to conduct a hand inspection.
Thank you
Jacques

Jon Butler
17th March 2013, 01:39 PM
Like Ian my empty film holders go in my suitcase and the film in my rucksack with me in the cabin.
Never had a problem with multiple scans with HP5/FP4.
I travel for 3 or 4 months a year in Greece and load the dark slides in the
bathrooms at night, most of them don't have windows so its easy to black out.
I do find though traveling with even a 5x4 does require a strict film management regime.

J.

Kaouthia
17th March 2013, 01:42 PM
according to Air Canada policies I can ask the screener to conduct a hand inspection.
It's like that in the USA, too. Not so much in the UK though. :(

But, I had some 35mm rolls of FP4+ and HP5+ go through the scanner half a dozen times during a trip last year before I realised I could have them hand checked. No negative effects.

After I realised the TSA would hand check it, it was kinda funny the first time one TSA lady said to me "You know, you don't really need to have these hand checked as long as you're not pushing this HP5 past ISO800".

vanannan
17th March 2013, 03:05 PM
I heard a story about a photographer who was using a changing bag in a public place, he had the bag on his lap under his coat for extra protection, as he was fumbling around unloading film a woman approached him and slapped him across the face:D

Jacques
20th March 2013, 11:16 PM
Thank you everybody