PDA

View Full Version : Print Developer Temperature ?

vincent
26th February 2009, 08:19 PM
Why are we asked to include the dev. temperature. I always thought that as long as it was around 20 deg. there is no need to take any interest. Now if I noticed that it was simmering or ice was forming on the surface I might stop and think about it. Maybe I'm not fussy enough?

Dave miller
26th February 2009, 08:37 PM
Because some develop at much higher temperatures, and it may be of general interest. The actual information provided is a matter for the poster.

Rob Archer
27th February 2009, 08:45 PM
Because some develop at much higher temperatures, and it may be of general interest. The actual information provided is a matter for the poster.

I sometimes use Fotospeed WT10 warmtone developer at about 24DegC, which does give a slightly warmer tine. It also reduces the development time to about 3 minutes if I'm using it at 1+29. At 20DegC it takes up to 8-10 mins for a print to be fully developed.

Otherwise I develop at around 20DegC, although I don't worry too much about accuracy - consistency during a session is more important to me.

Rob

Richard Gould
27th February 2009, 09:24 PM
I am not to fusssy about devolper temp, I try to keep it between 17 to 20, but I certainly don't check all the time ,I would normally keep my darkroom ambient temp around the 18 ton20 mark and find that keeps the dev temp about right Richard

photomi7ch
28th February 2009, 12:50 PM
My dev tank has a stat set to the right temp no matter how cold my darkroom gets

Richard Gould
28th February 2009, 08:13 PM
I should say that I am not too fussy about print devolper temp, as long as it is around the 18 to 20 mark, which is what I try to keep my darkroom at, I am happy, but I am fussy about film devolper tempture, I nearly always use rodinal or apho9, and keep to 20 degrees as closely as possible, certainly to within a half degree. Richard.

Martin Aislabie
1st March 2009, 11:52 AM
I have noticed my standard print developer activity drops off noticeably when the dev temp drops below 17C

I aim to keep it in the 18 to 19C mark - which is a comfortable temp for me to work in and still keep the developer active

Martin