PDA

View Full Version : Washing big prints

Mike Meal
8th March 2009, 11:36 AM
I have a space on my wall which is crying out for a nice 16x20 print.
I have three 16x20 trays for chemicals so the only thing that is stopping me at the moment is finding a good method to wash the print?
Has anyone got any suggestions?

Rob Archer
8th March 2009, 02:43 PM
I've done very few FB prints that big, but when I did I just used another big tray in the darkroom sink (fortunately big enough) with a hose attached to the tap and made sure the water circulated well. The print is still on my wall and hasn't deteriorated at all in 12 years. The other option would be to use RC paper and wash it in the bath with a shower head.

Rob

Mike Meal
8th March 2009, 03:10 PM
Thanks Rob I had a feeling it would be something simple like that. I was going to use RC for it anyway and I'II try it in the shower tray (maybe putting some dowling rods underneath to lift it up a tad)and see how it goes.

Dave miller
8th March 2009, 04:16 PM
Thanks Rob I had a feeling it would be something simple like that. I was going to use RC for it anyway and I'II try it in the shower tray (maybe putting some dowling rods underneath to lift it up a tad)and see how it goes.

No need to put anything under it, just turn the print over a few times during the wash process.

Bob
8th March 2009, 04:31 PM
For fibre, a 10 minute wash followed by 10 mins in hypo-clear and a further 10 minute wash will do you. Alternately, fill, soak and dump the tray with a single print in it 4 times over an hour after the hypo clear/washaid.

RC will wash in a minute or so. No chemicals can soak in to the back - it's plastic coated so the chems just rinse off the surface.

photomi7ch
9th March 2009, 05:36 PM
I had the same problerm. I made a tray drilled holes about half way up one side and the other side drilled a hole so I could attach a hose that then went to the tap. I used it to wash some fiber print worked well.