PDA

View Full Version : Thornton Pickard Portrait Puck

SarahP
7th April 2013, 04:57 PM
Hello

My furniture restorer Dad has found one of these in a chest of drawers he bought. It's all in working order, but the paint inside is flaking in a couple of places.
If anyone has any suggestions for cleaning up I'd be delighted S would like to put a roll of film through out of curiosity. ( any thoughts on best film to use also much appreciated- I was going to use HP5+ as that's what I use in 35mm and am a complete newbie processor)

Basically anything anyone knows at all about the camera please do share!

Many thanks
Sarah

Lostlabours
7th April 2013, 05:21 PM
I usually spray paint where paint has flaked off if possible but if not have a matt acrylic paint that works well. Normally I use one I can only buy in Turkey however I found a Uk brand last week. Docraft (TM) Artiste - all purpose Acrylic paint- Noir -, it dries to a finish that matches, I've just used it to restore a Rolleiflex Automat lens hood as well as some internal wear in the cameras back.

I should have some adverts for the camera, it'll be a day or so before I'll get a chance to look. I'm in the middle of restoring 3 Thornton Pickard cameras, 2reflex & a wood & brass field camera. So have fun, I'd try FP4 or HP5.

Ian

Mike O'Pray
7th April 2013, 05:33 PM
I'd endorse Ian's recommendations on film. Depending on light conditions HP5+ might be better unless we get strong sunshine in the next few days as it is quite a bit faster than FP4+

I'd go with Ilford's developing times and processing regime as well until you are in a position to establish a film test for your own personal film speed but don't worry about this for now.

Best of luck

Mike

Lostlabours
7th April 2013, 06:50 PM
2nd thoughts Ilfor'd backing papers and the numbering are almost impossible to read through the red window at the back.

Far etter to use Tmax 100 or 400 or Fomapan 200 or 400. I put a roll of HP5 in my Ensign 820 about a month ago and I need to take it out and re-roll it, I just can't make out the numbering, and I had the same problem with a Zeiss Ikonta and Delta 100. Others have the same problem with Ilford roll films.

Ian

Paulographic
7th April 2013, 08:43 PM
2nd thoughts Ilfor'd backing papers and the numbering are almost impossible to read through the red window at the back.

Far etter to use Tmax 100 or 400 or Fomapan 200 or 400. I put a roll of HP5 in my Ensign 820 about a month ago and I need to take it out and re-roll it, I just can't make out the numbering, and I had the same problem with a Zeiss Ikonta and Delta 100. Others have the same problem with Ilford roll films.

Ian

I agree, Ilford's grey film numbers are difficult to read, I only use their film in folders with frame counters, Balda for example. Kodak bold black against yellow is much easier, Fuji too.

Richard Gould
8th April 2013, 05:17 AM
As with others here I found ilfords numbers on the backing paper very hard to read though the red window cameras, I use Fomapan 400, rated at 200 to 320, numbers are white against a black background, very easy to see,
Richard

SarahP
9th April 2013, 06:58 PM
Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply -

I'll give Fomapan 400 a go as its relatively cheap and then I'm not wasting too much if it all goes horribly wrong !!

Sarah