PDA

View Full Version : Lifespan of Multigrade paper

vincent
8th March 2009, 08:54 PM
What would you think the lifespan of a box of multigrade paper (FB or RC) be. Take it that the paper has not been stored under any special coditions. I leave mine in the darkroom.
And how would you know that it was gone off?

I have noticed recently that the image takes at least 2 mins to appear in the dev.

kennethcooke
8th March 2009, 09:41 PM
What would you think the lifespan of a box of multigrade paper (FB or RC) be. Take it that the paper has not been stored under any special coditions. I leave mine in the darkroom.
And how would you know that it was gone off?

I have noticed recently that the image takes at least 2 mins to appear in the dev.

2 mins sounds a bit long Vincent. With M/grade dev and fresh paper stock I am getting an image after 20 secs dev complete in 1 min as recommended by Ilford but I have read of people using very old paper stock and getting perfect results, albeit with extended dev time but I cannot give you chapter and verse. How old is you paper stock Vincent?

Dave miller
9th March 2009, 07:22 AM
Life span under ambient temperature conditions? I haven't notice any deterioration or change in development time over several years storage. Using colder developer will extend times. Using Agfa Neutol I expect development of R/C paper to be complete in 1 minute at 20c, fibre ranges from 1.5 to 4 minutes depending on the make / type of emulsion.

photomi7ch
9th March 2009, 10:14 AM
I have a pack of Ilford multigrade MG44M 12x16 that must be at least 20 years old. I found it stored in the loft when I was having a clear out 4 years ago.

I did a test print and it printed to my surprise a bit flat but ha it printed.

Daud
9th March 2009, 11:41 AM
I had been using MG 111. Stored in a fridge and only taken out the night before a print session: although a slight drop in contrast (easy to compensate for) no problems, with some of it at least 10 years old.
Image appeared at about 30 secs then 1 min for RC and around 2 for FB in Dektol.

I did have some Kodak paper that was well gone in about 3 to 4 years – but then again it could have been due the odd high temp when my AC failed. This is why I now keep all paper in the fridge.

David.

Richard Gould
9th March 2009, 01:54 PM
I've used mg paper both fb and rc tghat has been stored in the darkroom for well over two years without any noticiable deteriotion, still devolping to compoletion in around 1 minute for rc or 3 for fb, just make sure the dev temp is between 18-20 and you should have no problems Richard

Martin Aislabie
9th March 2009, 10:06 PM
I have just finished off some MG RC & WT RC which was about 8 or 9yrs old – it got “lost” at the back of one of my cupboards :o

Stored in my darkroom.

Worked fine - couldn't tell it from fresh stock.

With RC I get the image popping up after about 10sec and reached finality well before 60 sec.

FB Paper is slower to show (15 to 20sec) and takes longer to reach finality (3 or 4 mins)

I had some 30yd old Agfa fixed grade FB paper and recently used it for a laugh, a bit slower to first show and to achieve a good black took about 3 mins
The base fog was a little high too (but only slightly)
But the tones the paper produced were fabulous - it makes out current non cadmium papers look rather sad in comparison - it’s rather sad to be reminded of what we have lost :(

Martin

Hughes
18th April 2014, 06:27 PM
Hi Vincent, Ilford advise 2 years after this expect a loss of high light detail. Some mid-pack leaves will still give acceptable results after 4yrs. I also just store in the darkroom. But then chemical fumes with degrade all photographic materials over time. So if the jobs worth doing it worth starting afresh.
Regards Hughes

Argentum
18th April 2014, 08:15 PM
I just noticed that this topic is 5 years old so I expect it's been sorted by now.

KevinAllan
18th April 2014, 09:18 PM
I was given a large batch of old paper, totalling perhaps 500 sheets, together with a complete darkroom setup. I don't know old the paper is but I doubt if it's less than 10 years old. Most of the packs have printed satisfactorily and have served me well through a learning phase. I'd have to print the same neg side-by-side with new and old paper to be able to describe any difference.

None of the packs, from a variety of manufacturers, have any use-by-dates displayed.

Jeff Sheff
19th April 2014, 07:46 AM
So is the consensus that keeping film and paper in a cool place, such as a fridge is the best option? I was thinking about this myself and was looking at the 'beer cooler' type fridge, such as the Stella Artois type. Does a anyone use one of this type?

Xpres
19th April 2014, 08:38 AM
Not in a fridge, but somewhere at a consistent temperature and humidity.
I've got paper dating back over a hundred years and find it quite resilient on the whole. Fogging from various radiation sources would seem to be more of an issue, but if lucky it's usually useable for fun.
For fine work though you need the consistency and reliability of fresh paper.

Mike O'Pray
19th April 2014, 10:59 AM
It is interesting the turn this thread has taken. It had always been my understanding that fridge temperatures beat room temperatures for both film and paper even where the room temp was consistent and moderate(20C max)

Further to that I had always thought that the consensus for very long term storage of both was that freezer temp(-17C) was even better but needed the precaution of keeping condensation at bay by placing the film and paper in ziplock bags with dessicant wraps.

I should stress that I only keep some film in the fridge but no paper and keep neither in a freezer and unless you intend to buy paper and film for many years ahead it may be overkill.

So the real question is: What in scientific terms does a very low freezer temp actually do to the ingredients of film and paper that is scientifically proven to extend life beyond what fridge or moderate room temp can do?

Any scientists out there?

Mike

Tony Marlow
19th April 2014, 01:56 PM
For what it's worth Ilford store their emulsions in cool rooms not below freezing but definitely top coat temperature.
Tony

Mike O'Pray
19th April 2014, 05:48 PM
Yes, good point Tony.

Mike

Martin Aislabie
20th April 2014, 08:08 PM
So is the consensus that keeping film and paper in a cool place, such as a fridge is the best option? I was thinking about this myself and was looking at the 'beer cooler' type fridge, such as the Stella Artois type. Does a anyone use one of this type?

Quite a few places keep colour film in display cabinet type fridges - an upright fridge with a double glazed front door - to avoid any issues with colour cast as the film ages/degrades

Personally, I keep all my reserves of film and paper in a deep freeze.

They can be had for not a lot of money brand new and even less 2nd hand - if you read your local classifieds.

Paper or film I am using or just about to use comes out of the freezer and then stays out.

Martin