PDA

View Full Version : New Colour Film with IR appearance

vincent
16th May 2013, 01:34 PM
I came across this site this morning which I thought was interesting for lovers of IR.
http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&ved=0CDMQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lomography.com%2Fmagazine%2Fn ews%2F2013%2F01%2F30%2Fintroducing-lomochrome-purple&ei=ot-UUYGcGouLhQe5qoHoBA&usg=AFQjCNFszOWHKzTq-1IsDdByg5lbVUZxZA&sig2=4omPVHZOZBRIIrHvL4WL2w&bvm=bv.46471029,d.ZG4

Terry S
16th May 2013, 10:43 PM
I saw this advertised recently too Vincent and meant to post about it but obviously forgot! :slap:

I believe that it's in short supply at the moment, as the first small run has only been produced very recently and sold out quickly.

From the pictures on the site advertising it, I must say it peaked my interest as I liked the way that the images looked.

If I remember rightly though, it's not particularly cheap... :(

Terry S

AlanJones
18th May 2013, 12:40 PM
I am keen to give it a try, well just the one roll for the novelty of it.

I don't normally use colour negative film in either 135 or 120 formats as my preference is for slides as I think the quality is better.

I have seen and downloaded Vincent's link and can say it was not quite what I expected.

Has anyone used IR colour film in the past and can reply with a result in an attachment to this thread? A few comments would be helpful to me.

JamesK
27th May 2013, 09:49 AM
I've always wanted to give colour IR a try as I'm into false-colour photography.

One of my main inspirations in this respect was Marcus Keef, (a.k.a. Keith Macmillan) who took the photographs for various classic rock album covers of the 1970s, many of which were shot using IR film.

While you can do IR on those "funny cameras" that don't use film, and, indeed, simulate it on a computer, it looks nowt' like film IR.

I'll be giving this stuff a try.

DavidH
29th May 2013, 07:16 PM
I don't know if I have missed something, but it doesn't state that the film responds to infra red. Does it just respond to the visible spectrum but has all its colours shifted to give an IR-like appearance?

marty
29th May 2013, 09:34 PM
Exactly, it's sensitive to just the visible spectrum like any conventional emulsion but with a "strange" color palette.

Cheers, M.

Peter Fitz
30th May 2013, 01:48 PM
Its not IR film, it has just been made to look similar to colour IR film and it doesn't require any filters to do this.

Terry S
31st May 2013, 08:47 AM
To quote directly from the site:

LomoChrome Purple (35mm and 120) is capable of producing stunning results just like color infrared films; but the great thing is that this is actually a regular color negative film which gives infrared results without the bother of having to use additional filters – This clever film produces these picture-perfect photos totally naturally.

It looks like a really interesting film but I'm a little worried that at the beginning at least, it's going to be like when Cokin filters first came out and EVERYTHING will be shot on it WITHOUT the thought for composition etc. We shall see...

Terry S

PS just found this site on the Lomo boards: http://www.tarquinius.de/

AaronEmmett
2nd June 2013, 04:59 AM
Cool share. This tells that you are prepared to invest a very modest sum of money in getting together the parts needed.