PDA

View Full Version : New Lomography lens design project

Terry S
27th July 2013, 01:11 PM
This is quite interesting but as usual it's only for Nikon and Canon bodies :( but who knows, if it becomes popular enough they may well do it in Pentax mount?...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lomography/the-lomography-petzval-portrait-lens?utm_campaign=nl_petzval_kickstarter_launch_uk&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter

Terry S

skellum
27th July 2013, 01:16 PM
For the price of a film camera these days, get the lens, buy a Canikon body and just leave it on that lens.
There's a lot of Petzval stuff on the LFF. Maybe it's just me, but some of the swirly Bokeh just looks too much- it begins to overwhelm the subject.

MartyNL
27th July 2013, 04:39 PM
Give me a real Petzval lens any day!

Paulographic
27th July 2013, 10:12 PM
Give me a real Petzval lens any day!

Like this ?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/95373729@N06/9264786505/

FrankToronto
28th July 2013, 02:25 AM
from what I have read (and it is hard to find the information on their site)
the lens will cost $500 US probably shipping extra. If you are patient you can find a real Petzval for a lot less. I purchased one on Ebay for $75 US plus shipping several years ago. I don't believe the seller really knew what it was. Opened up the lens and the markings on the side of the glass were "Darlot". But even if it isn't a Darlot you can get one for less than $500. Just my opinion, don't mean to rain on their parade but doesn't seem like good value to me….

MartyNL
28th July 2013, 09:25 AM
Firstly thanks for posting the thread Terry.

Like this ?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/95373729@N06/9264786505/

You're making me drool!:)

from what I have read (and it is hard to find the information on their site)
the lens will cost $500 US probably shipping extra. If you are patient you can find a real Petzval for a lot less. I purchased one on Ebay for $75 US plus shipping several years ago. I don't believe the seller really knew what it was. Opened up the lens and the markings on the side of the glass were "Darlot". But even if it isn't a Darlot you can get one for less than $500. Just my opinion, don't mean to rain on their parade but doesn't seem like good value to me….

I agree Frank.
I have a small range of lenses including many old magic lantern and projection lenses all for well under €50 so hopefully there's something in amongst them that will give me a Petzval look.

BTW Looking at the lens diagrams, neither appear to be anything like a true Petzval design.:confused:

Here's one of my old lenses,

Terry S
28th July 2013, 11:26 AM
To be honest, I'd never heard of the lens name before so just posted for others to read, but it's interesting to hear others comments.

They do seem to get away with charging ridiculous prices for things on their site. Looking around for the same items one can find most at a lot lower price. I can only put it down to good advertising and a brand that they have created that people are willing to buy into, whatever the cost, just like any other brand out there.

Terry S