PDA

View Full Version : Graded B&W papers.

Ag-Bromide
19th March 2009, 12:01 PM
Despite the advantages of VC papers which are are of very high quality and allow the printer to expose different parts of the print at different filter settings etc, I still enjoy the occasional use of graded papers.
Do you foresee in the not too distant future, graded papers being discontinued altogether?For example, production of Kentmere Kentona has ceased, but it is mentioned by Harman Technology, that three new papers have been proposed for the Kentmere Fineprint VC range of papers.

Les McLean
19th March 2009, 12:39 PM
I can see the main manufacturers of graded papers currently available making the decision to discontinue them simply on economic grounds. Reduced demand will hasten their demise for the accountants will soon notice the fall in profit margin. I know from personal involvement with Ilford/Harmn that the 6men who now own the company are passionate about trafitional black and white photography but they also have a responsibility to their employees as well as themselves and their families so they will have to listen to the number crunchers advice. I know of only a few printers who now use graded paper, probably because most of the great papers have gone so it is inevitable that they will go, and in my opinion sooner than we anticipate.

However, I believe that a small manufacturer, probably in China, will try to fill the gap.