PDA

View Full Version : Genesis - Salgado

EddieB
11th August 2013, 04:40 PM
While in York for a holiday recently with my lovely wife and her mother we paid a visit to Harrogate. While they wandered in and out of every shop in the town (or that's how it seemed to me) I called in to Waterstones for a browse.

They had a copy of Salgado's Genesis (published by Taschen) still in the plastic wrapper - untouched by human hand (well, almost). I asked the assistant if she would remove the plastic so I could view the contents - I know they don't mind, but I always like to ask first.

After a fairly lengthy viewing, it was an easy decision to buy - not so easy on the wallet though; at £44 it meant I couldn't criticise my wife for whatever she was going to turn up with!

I know there's been some discussion re' this book on a few posts previously - especially re' some of the printed images being double page spreads, and therefore printed across the spine of the book. However, even though there are a number of these, it's easy to view the photographs without breaking the binding or losing the "spirit" of the picture. There are also a number of fold-out spreads, which present a number of photographs as a sequence or a collection of portraits etc. Overall it's been beautifully done.

The standard of the content is every bit as high as I would expect from Mr Salgado and, in my opinion, is well worth the price of the book.

I'm a huge admirer of this photographer and his works. There's enough in this book to keep me coming back for a long time to come. Whilst the main content - the images - is left without text (I assume to let the viewer contemplate the offering), there is a booklet included as a separate document which lists information about each photograph. Very useful, since it's possible to reference this while viewing without using up valuable page space with text. Print quality is excellent!

At over 500 pages it's a weighty tome - definitely wasn't possible to hide from my wife and smuggle it back to the car!

Definitely recommended...

Stoo Batchelor
11th August 2013, 05:18 PM
While in York for a holiday recently with my lovely wife and her mother we paid a visit to Harrogate. While they wandered in and out of every shop in the town (or that's how it seemed to me) I called in to Waterstones for a browse.

They had a copy of Salgado's Genesis (published by Taschen) still in the plastic wrapper - untouched by human hand (well, almost). I asked the assistant if she would remove the plastic so I could view the contents - I know they don't mind, but I always like to ask first.

After a fairly lengthy viewing, it was an easy decision to buy - not so easy on the wallet though; at £44 it meant I couldn't criticise my wife for whatever she was going to turn up with!

I know there's been some discussion re' this book on a few posts previously - especially re' some of the printed images being double page spreads, and therefore printed across the spine of the book. However, even though there are a number of these, it's easy to view the photographs without breaking the binding or losing the "spirit" of the picture. There are also a number of fold-out spreads, which present a number of photographs as a sequence or a collection of portraits etc. Overall it's been beautifully done.

The standard of the content is every bit as high as I would expect from Mr Salgado and, in my opinion, is well worth the price of the book.

I'm a huge admirer of this photographer and his works. There's enough in this book to keep me coming back for a long time to come. Whilst the main content - the images - is left without text (I assume to let the viewer contemplate the offering), there is a booklet included as a separate document which lists information about each photograph. Very useful, since it's possible to reference this while viewing without using up valuable page space with text. Print quality is excellent!

At over 500 pages it's a weighty tome - definitely wasn't possible to hide from my wife and smuggle it back to the car!

Definitely recommended...

Hi Eddie

Thanks for the recommendation. I think that at £44 I still feel that is quite reasonable. If I recall, I remember paying £60 for his book 'Migrations'. I hope to pick up a copy of this book when I visit the exhibition next weekend.

Thanks again

Stoo

B&W Neil
11th August 2013, 05:30 PM
Eddie,

I was looking this book only last week at a friend's house and I agree it is a fantastic publication. It is on my list to acquire ASAP:)

Neil.

EddieB
11th August 2013, 07:22 PM
Stoo and Neil

I think Mr Salgado must spend his life with a camera glued to his eye when he's working. I'd love to know his "hit-rate" on print / don't print pictures.

I can honestly say I don't think there's a bad shot in the whole book.

In fairness, he does give credit to his printer. At some point in the life of the project he changed to digital (I don't know what kit he used or is using). There's a description of the work they did to get the equivalent quality to film - which I think says it all, really.

Well worth the price, in my opinion.

DougHowk
12th August 2013, 01:37 AM
I have my copy displayed on a lectern so that I can leave it open to a selected image. There are so many good images in the book that it will take me a long time to absorb them all. And the purchase supports a worthy cause.

JohnArt
12th August 2013, 12:42 PM
It's available from speedyhen.com for £29.69! - free delivery.

John

Terry S
12th August 2013, 01:19 PM
I've just read some interesting interviews with the man on the internet and to be honest, he seems to really like digital (especially for low light portrait work).

He also makes some other interesting comments, so the articles are worth reading:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/photography/9945900/Sebastiao-Salgado-A-Gods-eye-view-of-the-planet-interview.html

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/interviews/salgado_genesis.do?page=3

http://www.ilford.com/en/community/ilford-masters/sebastiao-salgado/interview/

Terry S

EddieB
12th August 2013, 05:57 PM
John

Well spotted - that's great value!

EddieB
12th August 2013, 05:58 PM
Terry

Thanks for the links - that'll keep me going for a cuppa or two tonight!

EdBray
12th August 2013, 08:27 PM
I got mine from Amazon for < £29 including delivery.

photomi7ch
15th August 2013, 08:04 AM
Foyles also do it for a reduced price if you order on line.