PDA

View Full Version : Digipod

cliveh
18th August 2013, 09:45 PM
Thought the following may interest some -

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/digipod

Mike O'Pray
18th August 2013, 11:33 PM
This turns a film camera into a digital one so I fail to see what relevance it has to FADU but in even saying this I am now doing what I suspect the item was placed here to do, namely to generate a discussion which only has relevance to non FADU matters.

I place my comments here simply to alert others as to what the item refers to. That ends my contribution to this thread.

Mike

Miha
19th August 2013, 06:31 AM
There was an early attempt in 1998 to convert a film camera - google silicon film. And there is Leica DMR...

DaveP
19th August 2013, 06:52 AM
If we can see past the knee-jerk reaction to something with "digi" in the name I don't think this is irrelevant to FADU users at all. In the long run, if successful and developed to is logical full-ish frame conclusion it would certainly lead to an increase in people buying film cameras, which might actually lead to more people having a go t film, if they have to own a film camera then why not?

RH Designs
19th August 2013, 08:30 AM
This strikes me as pointless since there are plenty of affordable DSLRs out there now. It would be like converting a turntable to play CDs. It could be done, but what's the point? There would of necessity be so many compromises that the result is unlikely to be competitive with a DSLR designed specifically for the purpose.

As for the name, at first glance I thought this would be some sort of tripod for digital cameras!

peterlg
19th August 2013, 09:16 AM
Oh, no! not again
peter

DaveP
19th August 2013, 10:10 AM
This strikes me as pointless since there are plenty of affordable DSLRs out there now.

No DSLR I've ever used or seen matches the user experience of any of the classic 1970s all manual SLRs though. If someone could give me some kind of digital insert or replaceable back for say a Nikon FE/FM or an OM4Ti I'd take it, even if it cost more than a DSLR. Plus you could put film through it too, what's not to like? It'll probably never happen though, it would take a big name like Nikon or Olympus to get behind it to make it fly.

Terry S
19th August 2013, 11:50 AM
Hmmm... I'm in two minds about this.

As said, it was tried in the past and never got anywhere, as there are so many different cameras with different dimensions of film chamber.

A 35mm film fits snugly into each of the various cameras, so one would have thought it would be easy, but it's obviously not. If it was I think one of the bigger manufacturers would have produced something by now.

I will follow with interest though.

Terry S

RH Designs
19th August 2013, 12:11 PM
I'd love to see him pitch it on "Dragons' Den" ...

Terry S
19th August 2013, 01:03 PM
I agree Richard.

Having just watched the programme this morning over breakfast, I can almost imagine Duncan's first and only remarks...

'It's ridikalous... absolutely ridikalous. I'm out!'

For people who don't understand the above, either watch the programme or don't worry about it. :D

Terry S

RH Designs
19th August 2013, 02:05 PM
I think Peter Jones would have the best opinions, having just relaunched the remains of Jessops :).

Alan Clark
19th August 2013, 06:30 PM
Didn't this idea first appear in the A.P. a good few years ago and turn out to be a hoax?

Alan

cliveh
19th August 2013, 06:54 PM
If we can see past the knee-jerk reaction to something with "digi" in the name I don't think this is irrelevant to FADU users at all. In the long run, if successful and developed to is logical full-ish frame conclusion it would certainly lead to an increase in people buying film cameras, which might actually lead to more people having a go t film, if they have to own a film camera then why not?

Thanks for thinking out the box.

Terry S
20th August 2013, 09:23 AM
Didn't this idea first appear in the A.P. a good few years ago and turn out to be a hoax?

Alan

Looking up the idea, yes there was one German company that designed a web-page and sent out the information to loads of publications etc. A lot of them and their readers only got to read it AFTER 01 April, so thought that the item was real!

The company now have a disclaimer on their website to let everyone know that it was in fact a hoax:

http://www.re35.net/

Terry S

Terry S
20th August 2013, 09:26 AM
Originally Posted by DaveP

Originally posted by cliveh

Thanks for thinking out the box.

I totally agree with both quotes above. It could be a very useful tool, if / when it finally arrives at a cost that is acceptable to the masses.

Do we not use scanners and computers = both totally non-analogue to help us with this site?

Terry S

John King
20th August 2013, 10:07 AM
Do we ban swear words? If so 'Digi' and it's derivatives should be included.

RH Designs
20th August 2013, 11:29 AM
Digital may be a swear word in your world John but kindly live and let live. It's exactly that sort of comment that leads to the inevitable rants that we try to avoid here.

Terry S
20th August 2013, 11:32 AM
Digital may be a swear word in your world John but kindly live and let live. It's exactly that sort of comment that leads to the inevitable rants that we try to avoid here.

Totally agree with you Richard.

Live and let live. :D

Terry S

Richard Gould
20th August 2013, 02:00 PM

Agree fully,Richard, as it says in the rules of Fadu, we are not anti digital, but pro film and darkroom, I choose to use film, but thats my choice and I have nothing against digital and it is not a swear word to me, each to his or her own
Richard

JamesK
20th August 2013, 11:47 PM
Where's the market for this?

Those who've "gone digital" will have digital cameras, while those who haven't will use film by choice.

Those who use both will have both types of camera.

I've seen an old photo of a Nikon F90 with a prototype Kodak digital back: what happened to this?

This would have been a good idea at the start of the "digital revolution" had sensors then been up to 35mm standards, but, at best, this is now an idea who's time has gone.

Eriktheviking
21st August 2013, 08:45 AM
I've been reading this with interest as a digital photographer who has given up that side to use film exclusively. In reality its not going to happen with 33 days left to raise the finance its only at £6k+ of the £199000 he wants to raise, :( very much a white elephant and not worth the consideration especially as the sensor he talks of in his video is no better than that in mobile phones which we all have for free with our phones. :rolleyes:

Erik

RH Designs
21st August 2013, 10:01 AM
The quality of the "sample photo" on the web site is very poor too. I'll stick with film in my OM-4 and use my OM-D for digital - I can use my old Zuikos on that if I feel the need. The look and feel (and build quality) of both bodies is very similar.

cliveh
21st August 2013, 08:13 PM
Ye of little faith. I saw a news item recently that said digital cameras will soon be obsolete because the quality of phone images is getting really good. Just think of the millions of film cameras out there with superb function and looks. Not to mention the nuances of lens variation just waiting for a product like this.

Michael
21st August 2013, 08:31 PM
So next we'll have someone wanting our money to market a device that turns obsolete digital cameras into 'phones?

big paul
21st August 2013, 11:56 PM
bloody hell I thought that my calendar was running fast again just for a second it was like April fools day all over again ,what will they think of next ,the mind boggles .....

www.essexcockney.com

RH Designs
22nd August 2013, 08:25 AM
Clive - this will never be a mass market product precisely because phone cameras are so good. The mass market is abandoning the digital compact for the same reason. It abandoned the compact film camera years ago because of the cost and inconvenience of getting film developed and printed. Getting a digital electronic device to market is very expensive and requires either a mass market or a premium price to be viable. This will never be more than a compromise.

It's like putting wheels on a horse to make it go faster instead of buying a car.

Michael - Samsung already markets a digital compact camera with a built-in phone :D

cliveh
26th August 2013, 07:10 PM
Clive - this will never be a mass market product precisely because phone cameras are so good. The mass market is abandoning the digital compact for the same reason. It abandoned the compact film camera years ago because of the cost and inconvenience of getting film developed and printed. Getting a digital electronic device to market is very expensive and requires either a mass market or a premium price to be viable. This will never be more than a compromise.

It's like putting wheels on a horse to make it go faster instead of buying a car.

Michael - Samsung already markets a digital compact camera with a built-in phone :D

Richard, with all due respect, I beg to differ. It still needs more refinement and I don't think the removal of the pressure plate is a good idea. However, if this was developed to be the same physical size as a film cassette with leader, then I think it has huge potential. There is a retro market of millions of cameras out there just waiting for this.

JamesK
5th September 2013, 11:24 PM
Have a look at this:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/08/20/faded-dream-blogger-looks-back-at-the-failure-of-the-silicon-film-project

There's nothing new under the sun.....................

GoodOldNorm
6th September 2013, 08:12 AM
IMHO it would make more sense to make an affordable universal digi back for medium format cameras, the present offerings are way too expensive.

RH Designs
6th September 2013, 12:15 PM
They're expensive because of the size of the sensor. Making even a 645-size sensor is difficult and expensive and there wouldn't be the economies of scale of a full-frame 35mm sensor for instance.

The small sensor size, lack of an LCD screen, limited battery capacity and the need to open the camera back to make any adjustments (there's no coupling of the camera body's controls to the Digipod) are huge disadvantages. If you don't remove the pressure plate the sensor and its mount would have to be as thin as film, and even if it were possible I can't see that being very robust.

Keep your film cameras for film, you get a brand new clean and efficient sensor for every frame :).

I can only assume that those who really want a Digipod have never used a modern DSLR in earnest.

DaveP
7th September 2013, 08:52 AM
I can only assume that those who really want a Digipod have never used a modern DSLR in earnest.

Or hipsters, and lets face it, that is a huge market.

RH Designs
7th September 2013, 12:15 PM
Maybe this is what we've been waiting for:

http://petapixel.com/2013/09/05/hasselnuts-adapter-turns-iphone-medium-format-digital-back/

The best of both worlds, and with this one you do get an LCD display :D

Or maybe you'd prefer the Nikon approach

http://petapixel.com/2012/12/17/nikon-patent-shows-a-back-for-turning-film-slrs-into-digital-cameras/

That one at least has the credibility of a major camera manufacturer!