PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Eastbourne

Robin of Eastbourne
7th April 2009, 12:09 AM
Hello,

I'm in the process of recommissioning an old dark room at a friend's house. We cleaned it all out at the weekend and set the enlarger up and tinkered about with all the equipment (taps are working with no leaks!). We are both novices at developing and printing (in fact I have never done it at all :o, but my friend has some experience from way back) but we are both full of enthusiasm. So, over the next few weeks/months, I may be asking some very basic and/or silly questions, but I feel sure I have come to the right place!

Looking forward to sharing my experiences with you.

Robin :)

Dave miller
7th April 2009, 06:26 AM
Welcome Robin, all questions welcome.

Barry
7th April 2009, 06:29 AM
Welcome Robin, this is the right place, your questions will be welcome. Have fun.

Trevor Crone
7th April 2009, 07:04 AM
Hi Robin and welcome. This is indeed a nice forum to visit and exchange ideas, ask questions and show work.

Someone once told me, 'the only silly question is the one you don't ask':)

Enjoy that darkroom, they are enchanting places.

B&W Neil
7th April 2009, 08:06 AM
Hello Robin and a warm welcome to FADU. Well done on bringing the old darkroom back to life - what a very worthwhile project :-)

Neil.

Richard Gould
7th April 2009, 08:44 AM
Hello Robin from Jersey, and welcome to fadu. I am sure you will find this a great forum to visit and all questions are welcome and you will always find an awnser,no such thing as a silly question, we must have all asked them at some time, good luck with the darkroom, Richard

Mark Burley
7th April 2009, 08:35 PM
Hi Robin, this is the place to ask questions - you will probably surprise us all and ask us something none of us can answer!

Welcome in any case

Mike O'Pray
7th April 2009, 09:54 PM
Hi Robin and welcome. You've started off with two big bonuses. A darkroom with running water and someone to share the ups and downs with in person. Oh and just a few more people here who can add to your knowledge.

Mind you, I have found that FADU has its drawbacks. There's no bulls**t and no-one starts his advice with: "there's only one way to do this.....

Ah well you can't have everything:D:

Mike

Bob
7th April 2009, 11:15 PM
Welcome aboard Robin. Sounds like you have an ideal setup there - somewhere to print and a mate to share with - great stuff.

Ask away!

Robin of Eastbourne
7th April 2009, 11:46 PM
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome; much appreciated. The first shock was that my friend discovered the local photographic store no longer stocks chemicals :eek:. I told her we can buy by mail order so there should be no problem. I found an ad for Retro Photographic in B&W Photography (Jan edition) which is where I found details of FADU. Everything is coming together nicely and I feel greatly reassured by your kind offers of advice.

Robin

Dave miller
8th April 2009, 06:10 AM
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome; much appreciated. The first shock was that my friend discovered the local photographic store no longer stocks chemicals :eek:. I told her we can buy by mail order so there should be no problem. I found an ad for Retro Photographic in B&W Photography (Jan edition) which is where I found details of FADU. Everything is coming together nicely and I feel greatly reassured by your kind offers of advice.

Robin

We have a section hidden under the "Links" button on the tool bar above in which you can find a section headed retailers, all those listed have given good service to us.

Bill
8th April 2009, 06:46 AM
Welcome to FADU Robin.

Ask away, everybody is very helpful here.

Bill

Jack Lusted
8th April 2009, 07:32 AM
And a warm welcome from a few miles away at Robertsbridge.
The dark room completes the photographic experience. I would argue that for a true photographer the darkroom as a essential as the camera.

Enjoy

Jack

photomi7ch
13th April 2009, 03:24 PM
Hi Robin, its great to hear that an old darkroom has been saved may it serve you well. :)

Les McLean
13th April 2009, 06:08 PM
Hi Robin, welcome to FADU and enjoy The Little Darkened Room.

Andrew Bartram
13th April 2009, 08:46 PM
Welcome to the Forum Robin and I hope you enjoy the new darkroom.
I've just had a whole day in mine which is a real luxury but a real buzz.

Andrew

Kevin Caulfield
17th April 2009, 04:39 AM
Welcome to FADU from another new member.

Robin of Eastbourne
10th May 2009, 11:29 PM
The inaugural session (on Saturday) in the new darkroom was a success! I have only developed one b&w film so far, but all went reasonably well (see below). I haven't made a print yet (neg was scanned), but I can't wait. My picture seems to have a couple of lines and some dust(?) marks on it, but nonetheless, I am pleased for a first attempt. :)

Working fisherman on Eastbourne beach.

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/gallery/data/2/Film_001_9_1.jpg?66

Dave miller
11th May 2009, 06:15 AM
The inaugural session (on Saturday) in the new darkroom was a success! I have only developed one b&w film so far, but all went reasonably well (see below). I haven't made a print yet (neg was scanned), but I can't wait. My picture seems to have a couple of lines and some dust(?) marks on it, but nonetheless, I am pleased for a first attempt. :)

You have every right to be pleased, it shows excellent composition and interest. I look forward to seeing more of your work, and remember you can load your work to your own Albums or to the Critique gallery if you feel you need any comments from others here. You may also like to make use of the "Ask Les" section.

Edit: I see that you are ahead of me, and have already posted a your picture in the Help Gallery.:)

Robin of Eastbourne
11th May 2009, 10:38 AM
Thank you Dave.

I must say it was a little stressful reading over the instructions twenty or so times before we had the courage to switch the lights off to load the film! And later, all the panic and worry about keeping the temperatures correct for the developing chemicals. But when I saw my negatives I was delighted and it was quite a magical moment. I am already hooked (although I knew I would be!) and can't wait to take things further.

Robin

Mark Burley
16th May 2009, 10:30 AM
Hi Robin, welcome to FADU - looks like you'll be fine...

Peter Hogan
18th May 2009, 10:42 AM
Hello and welcome to FADU Robin...
Peter