PDA

View Full Version : Kodak Pocket 1A?

Alastair
23rd September 2013, 08:50 AM
I picked up this Kodak Pocket 1A camera in Brighton this weekend for £1. I initially bought it as I thought it'd probably be broken and might make a bit of decoration if nothing else, and it was only a pound. It's actually in quite reasonable condition and I'm thinking it might well work. The lens looks fairly clean, the shutter seems to work fine and the bellows are in quite good condition given its age. I can't see any holes in it at all.

Does anyone know much/anything about this camera and secondly, if so, does anyone know if I can run 120 film through it?

Cheers,

Alastair

Mike O'Pray
23rd September 2013, 01:45 PM
I am sure you will get an authorative answer from someone here as we have a lot of old camera users but if not then have a look at the Butkus site. There is a mass of instructions on most old cameras

You can even download them. He asks for a small fee which makes it good value

Mike

Richard Gould
23rd September 2013, 03:45 PM
There were 2 versions, the pocket 1 and the pocket No 1 A, they are Autographic cameras and were made from 1926 to 1931, and the pocket 1 took 120, the pocket 1A used 116 film, and they took pictures 2 1/2 by 4 1/14, It should be possible to use 120 film, the pressure plate is right for it, so I would be inclined to try and see how it goes, after all, it is only a roll of film, and these vintage cameras can produce remarkably good photographs, Good luck with it and let us know how you get on with the camera
Richard

Alastair
23rd September 2013, 05:18 PM
I think I'll grab a roll of something and try and fashion some spacers. It may well work! I did see a couple of lovely images shot with this camera on Flickr this afternoon. I should probably ask the photographer how he loaded 120 film.

Thank you!

Steve Smith
23rd September 2013, 06:02 PM
You will need to make some spacers for the film reel. Hopefully there will be a takeup reel already in there. If you are going to process your own film, no problem. Otherwise you will need to ensure that the lab will send the reel back to you.

This is the simple way: http://www.flickr.com/photos/radioripster/3968400219/

There is a more complex approach using the ends from a metal 620 spool as spacers but I can't find it at the moment.

Steve.