PDA

View Full Version : Footwear for landscaping

alexmuir
30th September 2013, 06:41 PM
When I am out doing landscape work, I often find myself climbing over wet and slippery rocks. I'm usually at the coast, or in and around streams and waterfalls. I am looking for better footwear for tackling this type of terrain. Hillwalking boots don't seem to have the necessary grip on wet rock. I saw some wading boots in an angling shop that looked like a possibility, but I think they are designed to go over waders, which I don't need. Does anyone have any recomendations for boots with serious grip in the soles? Alex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Lostlabours
30th September 2013, 07:10 PM
I shoot a lot on wet rocks and find good walking boots fine, the important thing is that they have good ankle support. The wading books I've seen have less grip and are a bit restrictive when you need good flexibility.

Ian

Alan Clark
30th September 2013, 07:13 PM
Fishermen wear waders with felt soles to avoid slipping on wet rocks on the river bed. You might get felt soled boots from an angling supplier.

Alan

Martin Aislabie
30th September 2013, 08:19 PM
I use standard walking boots.

I can stand around and/or carry my 20+Kg backpack all day without foot strain and get great ankle support thrown in for good measure.

The wet and slimy rocks that I encounter are usually slippery from algae growing on the surface of the rock - and there is almost nothing I can imagine you can do about what except by moving very cautiously.

I find that rocks covered in dried algae are fine in walking boots.

If you find a solution of similar levels of foot and ankle support but with improved wet grip please let us know.

Martin

Luis
30th September 2013, 08:30 PM
Felt soles works fine in the river, but wear out quickly out of it, putting this aside, felt soles are getting banned from most streams due cross contamination with invasive species which find the felt a good place to get transported from a stream to another.

Most brands are switching to rubber soles and some offer metal inserts, or even what they call river crampons, but I don't think that those will solve your problems unless you're experienced in winter mixed climbing.

I'd look for a better rubber grip soles, like the ones which Kayland vertigo uses, which always worked fine for me in the same places you describe.

alexmuir
30th September 2013, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the speedy replies. I have Zamberlan boots at the moment which are great for support and comfort, but no use on slippy rock. Other hillwalking boots I have looked at don't seem to have great potential either. From what has been said, I think I can rule out the angling products. I will look for boots with a rubbery sole. I'll let you know if I come across something useful. Alex

Adrian Twiss
3rd October 2013, 11:32 AM
I have a pair of Merrell walking shoes that have a tacky sole that does give extra grip on slippery surfaces. Be warned you have to break them in thoroughly before using them on rough ground. I failed to do this and ended up with a large blister on my heel that took nearly a month to heal fully. Merrell shoes are available from good outdoor equipment stockists.

alexmuir
3rd October 2013, 11:38 AM
Thanks, Adrian. I will look at Merrell and the Kayland boots suggested by Muihlinn. Alex