PDA

View Full Version : Print Exchange Round 57

Tony Marlow
17th October 2013, 06:51 PM
It’s time to time to think about Round 57. All those who want to participate please post here and send me a PM to confirm your address.
Closing date for registering your entry is 31st October 2013. Latest date for sending your print is 30th November 2013. I am only looking for one print in a month; there is plenty of room on my spreadsheet for all your entries so no one needs to hold back.

Print Exchange Rules
To start with you will have the remainder of this month to sign up, the cut-off being the last day of the month. If you wish to be included then make a post on this thread to that effect, and at the same time send me a PM with your name, and address.
Head the PM with the title “FADU Print Exchange Round”, and add the round number
At the beginning of next month those that have given me their details will be provided with the name and address of one other member to whom you will be expected to send your print before the end of the month.

You will not be told who has been asked to send you a print, so that it remains a surprise until you receive it. When you send your print please post to that effect on this thread, but do not say to whom you have sent it. We like to maintain the element of surprise until the last moment. When you receive a print please post to that effect on this thread, you may say who it is from and comment on it if you wish.

Anyone failing to send out their print without good reason will be excluded from future events. If you run into difficulty in this respect then please let me know.
If you wish to participate then confirm your intention on this thread and also send me a PM with your name and address.

The selection process will be as random as possible, and I will try and ensure that you receive a print from a different person in each round although eventually there will be some repetition.

Rules
• Your print must have been printed from a negative exposed in a film camera
• Inkjet, digitally printed photographs, or computer manipulated images are not allowed
• Your print paper can be any size that will fit in an envelope up to A4 size
• The image may be any size or format
• Paper type and finish is your choice, as is the subject
• Alternative processes, toning or other treatments are all accepted
• It is recommended you provide some background information with your print to assist your recipient as this encourages interchange
• Don‟t forget to enclose your details and FADU name so your recipient can thank you
• You are only responsible for the cost of posting your own print
• Please ensure you dispatch your print within the round month
• You must enjoy the experience
• If you have any queries or problems -please contact me as soon as possible.
Tony

alexmuir
17th October 2013, 07:08 PM
Count me in. Thanks.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

EdBray
17th October 2013, 07:37 PM
Not well enough yet, but hope to get out with my new Rangefinder this week, so perhaps round 58.

Tony Marlow
17th October 2013, 08:36 PM
Not well enough yet, but hope to get out with my new Rangefinder this week, so perhaps round 58.

Sounds as if you are well on the way to recovery Ed. that's good news.

Tony

Derek Lincoln
17th October 2013, 08:46 PM
Count me in Tony

Derek

skellum
17th October 2013, 09:11 PM
I had to dodge Round 56- been under the cosh at work.
BUT- I'd love to be back in for 57 (that's right, I'm starting to Ketchup on things! Boom-Boom!)

ymgandy
18th October 2013, 12:39 AM
Yes please Tony

Terry S
18th October 2013, 08:06 AM
And again please.

Terry S

MikeHeller
18th October 2013, 02:14 PM
Count me in again. please.
Thanks, Mike

Rob Archer
18th October 2013, 04:37 PM
Count me in please Tony.

Paul Glover
18th October 2013, 08:22 PM
Count me in, please.

andreios
19th October 2013, 09:58 PM
With this month's contribution just hung up to dry I'd like to join for the next month as well.

Sent from Android via Tapatalk

Bill
21st October 2013, 09:47 AM
I'm in again please Tony

Bill

MarcAeonDELETED
21st October 2013, 11:35 PM
Yes please Tony.

Richard Gould
22nd October 2013, 11:25 AM
I'm up for another round, please, Tony
Richard

vincent
23rd October 2013, 07:49 PM
I'm in again, please Tony.

BobRob
24th October 2013, 10:01 AM
yes please Tony

bob robertson

andreios
25th October 2013, 03:20 PM
I sort of foresee very busy month ahead (both at work and family-wise) so I'd rather back out from next month's round.. Sorry.

Sent from Android via Tapatalk

peterlg
25th October 2013, 03:29 PM
Tony, i would like to be in again, thanks
Peter

chisel
27th October 2013, 03:32 PM
Please add me in again too!

MartyNL
28th October 2013, 07:29 PM
Yes please Tony.

Tony Marlow
30th October 2013, 12:34 PM
The list for Round 57, November, closes Friday morning, anyone who wishes to join and has not already done so please let me know by then.
Those who have joined are listed below.

alexmuir
Derek Lincoln
skellum
ymgandy
Terry S
MikeHeller
Rob Archer
Paul Glover
Bill
MarcAeon
Richard Gould
vincent
BobRob
peterlg
chisel
MartyNL

Tony

SilliP
31st October 2013, 08:24 PM
New to this forum but would love to try this thing out! Count me in for this one!

Tony Marlow
1st November 2013, 11:10 AM
The list for Round 57 is now closed. Those who have joined are listed below, if I have missed anybody then please let me know immediately. PMs will go out next week.

alexmuir
Derek Lincoln
skellum
ymgandy
Terry S
MikeHeller
Rob Archer
Paul Glover
Bill
MarcAeon
Richard Gould
vincent
BobRob
peterlg
chisel
MartyNL

Tony

Richard Gould
6th November 2013, 01:55 PM
Mine went in the post today
Richard

BobRob
7th November 2013, 01:57 PM
posted mine this morning

Bobrob.

Bill
7th November 2013, 07:45 PM
Mine went in the post today
Richard

It has arrived this lunchtime. A shot of an older lady in period costume spinning. To add to the overall effect Richard used one of his older cameras that gives an excellent old time look in keeping with the image./

Nice one Richard and another fine print for the collection.

Bill

Bob
8th November 2013, 12:10 AM
The Round 57 gallery is now open for business...

Cheers, Bob.

Richard Gould
8th November 2013, 06:30 AM
It has arrived this lunchtime. A shot of an older lady in period costume spinning. To add to the overall effect Richard used one of his older cameras that gives an excellent old time look in keeping with the image./

Nice one Richard and another fine print for the collection.

Bill

Thanks Bill, glad you like it,
Richard

MikeHeller
8th November 2013, 04:31 PM
My offering is in the post.
Mike

skellum
8th November 2013, 06:33 PM
Got my print into the post at lunchtime today.

Tony Marlow
9th November 2013, 10:27 AM
Can,t open page four

ymgandy
9th November 2013, 02:04 PM
Got my print into the post at lunchtime today.

And I received it today, less than 24hours, full marks Royal Mail. An excellent still life with juicy blacks & great depth, just the type of printing I like & I always enjoy well done still life prints. I think still life is a difficult subject & I have never done anything I have been pleased with or would even show anyone. Many thanks Skellum, a print I have enjoyed & will continue to do so. I also think there is lots to learn from it accompanied with your comprehensive letter.

Terry S
9th November 2013, 02:13 PM
Can,t open page four

Page 4 of what? This section of comments?

If so, I have no problems with it...

Terry s

skellum
9th November 2013, 02:28 PM
Wow, didn't quite expect it to get there today. As you say, Andrew, it can be hard deciding what work you want to be seen by your peers.
I joined a camera club in my teens (East Kilbride, if that rings any bells for anyone). With monthly competitions and an annual show there was a motivation to show prints, so I got used to showing work early.
I'm really liking FADU, and the exchanges here are about the only opportunity I have theses days to see real silver prints by other people.
It's also a chance to get some feedback on your own prints, although we're all so polite here the harshest criticism you tend to receive is a reserved silence when you post something not very clever!!
Cheers!

Tony Marlow
10th November 2013, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by Tony Marlow View Post
Can,t open page four

The only way I could open page 4 which had one posting on it was to add another posting.

Tony

Bill
10th November 2013, 11:30 PM
Tony,

We have had a similar discussion in the past. I only have 2 pages in this thread and have no problem. There is a setting you can change for the number of posts per page. What is yours set on? Mine is on 30. I think if you can change that it may solve the problem.

Search for a thread called 'something amiss' and it is explained in there.

Bill

Bob
11th November 2013, 02:09 AM
The only way I could open page 4 which had one posting on it was to add another posting.

Tony

The root cause of this is that the thread counts get out of sync (usually when we delete spam).

You can do what Bill suggests which will solve it in the short-term but in the longer term or Barry myself need to use a forum admin function that rebuilds the post and thread counts which I have now done so it should be fixed (until the next time)...

Cheers, Bob.

Derek Lincoln
11th November 2013, 10:00 AM
In the post this morning.
Derek

ymgandy
13th November 2013, 06:44 PM
posted mine today

Derek Lincoln
15th November 2013, 12:58 PM
posted mine today

....and received today a delightful print of a sunlit woodland scene. I will post comments once I have scanned the photograph into the Gallery for Andrew.

Derek

Terry S
15th November 2013, 02:07 PM
My effort has just been posted and it's only half way through the month. Very pleased with myself. :D

Terry S

Tony Marlow
15th November 2013, 04:16 PM
My effort has just been posted and it's only half way through the month. Very pleased with myself.

Now that you have proved you can do it Terry, there's no going back, its mid-month from now on!!!

Tony

Terry S
15th November 2013, 04:26 PM
Oh buggah!

Hopefully by next month you will have forgotten... I know that I will have! :p

Terry S

Now that you have proved you can do it Terry, there's no going back, its mid-month from now on!!!

Tony

Paul Glover
15th November 2013, 05:21 PM
posted mine this morning

Bobrob.

And received in the mail yesterday. A very nicely executed photograph taken at Furness Abbey in Cumbria. The abbey ruins stand in the middle distance, framed by a couple of trees, with a patch of flowers providing foreground interest and leading in toward the abbey. He chose to sharply focus on the flowers while letting the abbey be subtly softer, an interesting choice which I feel suited the composition quite well.

Even though it was shot on 35mm HP5+ there is little to no apparent grain (especially in the sky which received additional burning in). I can see why people swear by Pyro type developers!

vincent
15th November 2013, 08:43 PM
Posted mine this afternoon.

chisel
15th November 2013, 09:36 PM
Mine went this morning....

Fran

chisel
15th November 2013, 09:38 PM
In the post this morning.
Derek

And received here yesterday safe and sound!

A lovely print to add to the collection...

Fran

Paul Glover
19th November 2013, 07:22 PM
Mailed my print out today.

skellum
19th November 2013, 10:42 PM
Home from work tonight to find my new print waiting. From Chisel, it's a woodland study. It's dark and brooding, with just a touch of haunted forest about it. My other half took a look and asked "why haven't you taken one like that . . ."
Thanks very much Fran, happy to have it, and get it posted!

SilliP
20th November 2013, 09:10 PM
Mine went this afternoon. Better late than never :-)

alexmuir
21st November 2013, 09:25 AM
Posted this morning. Alex.

Rob Archer
21st November 2013, 08:19 PM
Just received a terrific mountain landscape from Vincent. Mine will be in the post first thing tomorrow.

MartyNL
23rd November 2013, 04:36 PM
My effort was posted this afternoon.

MarcAeonDELETED
24th November 2013, 05:16 AM
Print in the post and cracking one received. It was interesting to receive a print showing a room space nearly perfectly showing exactly, what I would like to work in as a studio setting.

alexmuir
24th November 2013, 09:49 PM
Print in the post and cracking one received. It was interesting to receive a print showing a room space nearly perfectly showing exactly, what I would like to work in as a studio setting.

Who was it from?

MarcAeonDELETED
24th November 2013, 10:07 PM
Forgive me I thought I had to have written permission in the letter to name the photographer. My mistake. The image was from Mike Heller - Named: Covered Slip, Chatham Dockyard. Printed on something strange.

Richard Gould
25th November 2013, 02:36 PM
Just received a terrific mountain landscape from Vincent. Mine will be in the post first thing tomorrow.

Arrived today, a quite beautiful photograph of patterns in the sand left by the flow of the sea, for me, as a lover of coastal photography it is a superb print, lovely tones and patterns, Many thanks Rob, one I will mount and frame
Richard

peterlg
26th November 2013, 08:57 AM
Mailed my print out today.

It arrived safely here yesterday - a gentle nod to our Scottish friends!
It is a very fine close-up of a thistle, beautifully laid out on the paper and captured with the light in front of the camera and a long range of tones. I like it indeed, and it gives me inspiration to go closer to the subject. Paul, you tell the Canon had a 50mm lens, so I assume you also had some kind of an extension tube to get the shallow DoF? Look at the upper part of the picture - a pattern of "sun spots" resulting from the extreme unsharpness of the background (what is this phenomenon called?) - you might have chosen to burn them in and get an even-toned background? I'm not sure it would have improved anything, at any rate your photo is very good.
Thank you,
Peter

Paul Glover
26th November 2013, 04:31 PM
It arrived safely here yesterday - a gentle nod to our Scottish friends!
It is a very fine close-up of a thistle, beautifully laid out on the paper and captured with the light in front of the camera and a long range of tones. I like it indeed, and it gives me inspiration to go closer to the subject. Paul, you tell the Canon had a 50mm lens, so I assume you also had some kind of an extension tube to get the shallow DoF? Look at the upper part of the picture - a pattern of "sun spots" resulting from the extreme unsharpness of the background (what is this phenomenon called?) - you might have chosen to burn them in and get an even-toned background? I'm not sure it would have improved anything, at any rate your photo is very good.
Thank you,
Peter

Thanks, and glad you liked it!

My poor memory is a little hazy but I'm thinking now I had the 50/3.5 macro out with me that day, which will go to half-lifesize by itself. I vaguely recall trying to chase an ant around the top of a stone wall at one point and failing miserably! The thistle itself was HUGE, so I could well have shot it with the 50/1.4 near the closest focus distance.

It's a straight print at a soft grade (#1). Could almost stand to be printed at grade 0, or somewhere between it and 1.

Will get it posted up in the gallery forthwith.

vincent
27th November 2013, 11:41 AM
Mine went this afternoon. Better late than never :-)

And here it is in front of me this morning. It is the smallest print that I have received since joining the Print Exchange in Round 3, but it is also one of the most beautiful ones. The tonal range, composition and print paper make this a photo a joy to behold. I hope you can post your image in the gallery and perhaps give a bit more information regarding film and paper used.

BobRob
27th November 2013, 12:38 PM
Received my print today from Mark

a well seen and very moody street image

thanks mark.

Bobrob.

SilliP
27th November 2013, 03:10 PM
Thank you Vincent. I am glad it found you. I will try and put it up in the gallery.

alexmuir
28th November 2013, 07:27 PM
Just received a stunning New Zealand landscape, expertly printed on fibre paper by MartyNL. Many thanks, and please post to the Gallery for others to enjoy. Alex

Bill
29th November 2013, 01:53 PM
My print is in the post

Bill

MartyNL
29th November 2013, 08:36 PM
Just received a stunning New Zealand landscape, expertly printed on fibre paper by MartyNL. Many thanks, and please post to the Gallery for others to enjoy. Alex

Thank you very much Alex. It's feedback like this that gives us the inspiration to go on.

peterlg
30th November 2013, 12:49 PM
Posted mine today.
Apologies for being late
Peter

MikeHeller
30th November 2013, 04:14 PM
My print is in the post

Bill

And arrived today.
A print of a photo taken in a woodland mostly of the reflection in a pond. Very much 'here be dragons' - dark and broody but, to me, not too threatening. Just the sort of place I like to walk and take photos.
Thanks, Mike

Terry S
1st December 2013, 01:21 PM
Posted this morning. Alex.

And received, thank Alex.

An interesting picture taken in a city centre = a scene which a lot of people would have walked by.

Taken on a rainy day,with the film uprated in development, it has a good range of tones. A print that is growing on me very quickly.

Many thanks Alex.

Terry S

alexmuir
2nd December 2013, 11:32 AM
Thanks, Terry. I'm glad you like it. Alex

SilliP
3rd December 2013, 07:27 PM
Posted mine today.
Apologies for being late
Peter

Received it today. Thank you Peter. A print of a ceramic pot from a museum in Germany. I love the lighting and the dark black shadows. A nice still life image.
SilliP

peterlg
4th December 2013, 04:16 PM
Received it today. Thank you Peter. A print of a ceramic pot from a museum in Germany. I love the lighting and the dark black shadows. A nice still life image.
SilliP

Thanks to you, Silvia, for your appreciation. You may have seen that it's now hanging in the gallery.
And by the way, I'm curious to see what you have sent to Vincent, can you upload?
Peter

skellum
5th December 2013, 12:49 PM
Yes Peter- on most rounds of the print exchange we have 20 to 24 participants. However, the gallery never seems to contain all the images.
Do some people not want to post their print in the gallery, or is it that they can't get them scanned??

SilliP
5th December 2013, 08:04 PM
Thanks to you, Silvia, for your appreciation. You may have seen that it's now hanging in the gallery.
And by the way, I'm curious to see what you have sent to Vincent, can you upload?
Peter

I will do my best and try and find five minutes to upload it tomorrow. Thanks for the curiosity :-)
Silvia

MarcAeonDELETED
11th December 2013, 01:33 AM
Thank you Bob. Think I scared some people on the bridge when I pulled my camera out like a gun slinger to take it,

Received my print today from Mark

a well seen and very moody street image

thanks mark.

Bobrob.

ymgandy
12th December 2013, 09:53 AM
Yes Peter- on most rounds of the print exchange we have 20 to 24 participants. However, the gallery never seems to contain all the images.
Do some people not want to post their print in the gallery, or is it that they can't get them scanned??

I take your point, it would be great to see all the prints from the round in the gallery but as yet I for one has not yet conquered the art of scanning. I do mention the fact that it would be appreciated if the person receiving the print could scan & upload on my behalf but I may also be sending it to someone who is has neither the knowledge or the equipment. Also I do not really like asking people to carry out the task on my behalf.

chisel
13th December 2013, 03:37 PM
Sorry for the long delay in getting my photo uploaded. Its finally there now!!!

Fran

skellum
13th December 2013, 08:23 PM
And well worth the wait (for everyone except me- I've got the print!)

chisel
13th December 2013, 09:59 PM
Ah, thanks for the kind words!!

Its one thats on my list to reprint, I think I need to get the trunks a little brighter without taking away from the night time feel.

Fran

Terry S
19th December 2013, 05:09 PM
Ah, thanks for the kind words!!

Its one thats on my list to reprint, I think I need to get the trunks a little brighter without taking away from the night time feel.

Fran

No need to reprint! Just try brushing on a DILUTED solution of Ferri on some of the trunks and hey presto! :)

Terry S

chisel
21st December 2013, 12:08 AM
Must pickup some of that - farmers solution?

Terry S
21st December 2013, 12:18 PM
Must pickup some of that - farmers solution?

Farmers Reducer. :)

Terry S

MartyNL
1st February 2014, 07:54 PM
My effort has just been posted and it's only half way through the month. Very pleased with myself. :D

Terry S

And arrived today, yes 2.5 months later!!!

The envelope looked worse for wear but the address was perfect so I have no idea where it's been or why it's taken so long for it to be delivered.

The photo is equally intriguing, filled with texture and almost abstract.

Thanks for the print Terry and look forward to seeing it in the gallery, better late than never!

Terry S
2nd February 2014, 04:49 PM
And arrived today, yes 2.5 months later!!!

Thanks for the print Terry and look forward to seeing it in the gallery, better late than never!

Wow, what a journey the print must have had!

Glad to hear from you though Marty, as I am in the darkroom again this week after being so busy and was going to reprint it for you.

Good to hear that you like it and I will post it in the gallery in the next few days hopefully.

Terry S

Terry S
7th February 2014, 03:16 PM
And my print to MartyNL has finally been uploaded to the gallery. :)

Terry S