PDA

View Full Version : The art of black and white enlarging - David Vestal

Domingo
11th December 2013, 08:00 AM
Hello all.

For Christmas, I'm thinking about to buy for myself the "The art of black and white enlarging" by David Vestal. Currently I own "The Photographer's Master Printing Course", by Tim Rudman, "Gradient light" and "Creative elements", both by Eddie Ephraums and "Black and White photographic printing workshop", by Larry Bartlett.

Do you think "The art of black and white enlarging" could give me some knowledge not contained in the other books?

John King
11th December 2013, 09:17 AM
These books if they are similar to others by the same authors are superb and can give you great assistance advising you what to do (apart from the entertainment value of reading them). However no matter what is printed anywhere, the best way to improve your printing is by getting into the darkroom and doing it yourself and using the tips from the books

Dave Hall
11th December 2013, 04:03 PM
The books are all good...but as John King says....there is NOTHING like getting into the darkroom - and doing some learning by experience

Domingo
17th December 2013, 06:51 PM
Thanks to both of you for your opinions.

You are surely right that I should invest my money buying more paper and practising in the darkroom.

Again, thanks.

Reinhold
23rd January 2014, 10:18 PM
They say "practice makes perfect".
It's also a good idea to "learn from the knowledge of others".

David Vestal was one of those Titans of the technique and technology of photography during the '70's ~ '90's.
His advise regarding the art of printing was secondary to his insight into the technology of analog photography.

Don't buy the book to learn how to compose and print prize winning photographs. He doesn't teach art.
Buy the book to learn how to refine the technology and process of photography. He knows photographic chemistry.

Reinhold
www.classicBWphoto.com

Keith Tapscott.
23rd February 2014, 09:09 AM
I have never read any of David Vestal's books, but I have heard that he was a good printer.

Richard Gould
23rd February 2014, 09:32 AM
The books you already own will surely tell you everything you could possibly need to know about the art of printing, the best way to learn more is to practice what you have learnt from the books, spend your money on more film,paper and chemicals and get into the darkroom
Richard