PDA

View Full Version : Polaroid backs for Bronica SQ

alexmuir
30th December 2013, 03:17 PM
I have bought an NPC Polaroid back for my Bronica SQ aM. I had heard that the Fuji instant film could be used. Does anyone know if that's correct? If so, which film, and is it still available? Many thanks, Alex.

Steve Smith
30th December 2013, 04:52 PM
You need the Fujifilm FP100 (colour) or FP3000 (black and white). I don't think there is an ISO 100 black and white version any more.

Steve.

alexmuir
30th December 2013, 06:20 PM
Thanks, Steve. I only bought it to try out instant film. The back was quite cheap and in great condition. I will look for some of these films to try out.
Alex

Steve Smith
31st December 2013, 09:01 AM
Some on offer here.

http://www.mathersoflancashire.co.uk/prodDetail.html?intProductID=1484&intCategoryID=151

Just expired (12/13) but about half the normal price.

Steve.

JOReynolds
31st December 2013, 02:43 PM
Any experience with the equivalent back for 500C/M Hasselblad? Once the print is peeled, is there a negative?

alexmuir
31st December 2013, 05:35 PM
I don't know much about this yet as I've never used instant film before. The back I have, however, is made by NPC to fit the Bronica. It appears to be well made and fits straight on to my camera. It came with instructions which show that it can be adjusted for a better fit if necessary. The camera functions with it fitted. I assume they made one for the Hasselblad as well. I have seen them advertised for other cameras. I have ordered some of the colour print film to try. I can post some info when it arrives.
Alex

Paulographic
1st January 2014, 10:42 AM
I had a Polaroid back for my SQ but sold it on when I found out the cost of feeding it.

CambsIan
5th January 2014, 05:51 PM
I have a polaroid back for my RB67, and a Polaroid film pack ready to go in. I have read somewhere that the film pack is fractionally thicker than the original, so the first shot may be a bit tight to get out, but after that all should be well.

Have not used it yet, so can not comment from first hand experiance.

Not sure if this helps or hinders.

Ian

alexmuir
5th January 2014, 06:28 PM
My film should arrive in the next few days. I will keep in mind that it may be a tight fit. The back I have is made by NPC. I don't know why it would have been preferable to the original Bronica item. Perhaps it was a cheaper alternative? I had no interest in this type of equipment at the time it was originally on sale, although I did read lots of photo mags and books. I don't recall seeing any NPC products advertised.
Alex

CambsIan
5th January 2014, 07:37 PM
Hi Alex,

Been looking about for some help on this, came across this on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAC2tEQEgFI

I think the bit that will be of use for you starts at about 11 min 50sec.

Hope this helps, think I might watch it a few more times yet.

Ian

alexmuir
8th January 2014, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the link to the video, Ian. My first film arrived yesterday. It loaded without any problem into the NPC back (once I realised I had to remove the empty holder from the last film!). I only made one picture last night using flash. Sadly, it was too dark due to under exposure. I understand that, like transparencies, exposure is critical. I assume that small discrepancies can make a big difference to the end result. I will expose some more frames tonight. It will be useful to gauge the effectiveness of the flash set-up I use when doing family pictures at home. I like the surface on the prints. I may use this film more than I had originally intended.
Alex

CambsIan
25th January 2014, 08:38 PM
Hi Alex,

Finally got round to having a go at the Polaroid back. Here are the scans of the test pictures, test5 and test6 were the fifth and sixth attempts and are scans straight from the polaroid. Test5a and test6a are the same shots just cropped as I would have done had I been printing them.

Not too bad for a quick shoot set up on the dining room table. Colours seem a bit washed out, but the look of them seems true to what I remember Polaroid pictures looking like.

See what you think

Ian

JohnArt
26th January 2014, 12:30 PM
I use this film and have found that a little tungsten front or side light warms up the shots and takes out the blue cast which can otherwise appear in the 'whites' on indoor/studio work.
John

alexmuir
26th January 2014, 03:13 PM
Hi, Ian. Thanks for the examples. I have loaded mine up and tried a few shots. It has been quite useful for allowing me to evaluate flash shots in my home. I have been using my Vivitar 283 in bounce mode. Using the auto settings, I could only get the ok light to come on at the longest range which gives f2.8 for 100asa. I don't have a Bronica 2.8 lens. I use the 150 f4 or the 50 f3.5. I have switched to manual and had good results, tested first with the Polaroid. Most of our lighting is tungsten and I agree with John that it gives a pleasant warmth.
There was a seller on eBay last week offering 5 packs of outdated Fuji colour instant for around £40. I took a chance and bought some. I haven't tried it yet, but I expect it will be ok. Time will tell!
Alex

CambsIan
26th January 2014, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the pointer on the tungsten light, will have to include that in my next trial.

These were shot using a 90mm f3.8 at f8 and 1/4 second, under "daylight" lamps. Just the room light, a desk lamp, and camera just sat on table.

If ever we get some dry weather, might even try it outside. :shock:

Ian