PDA

View Full Version : Ilford Warmtone RC Pearl 8x10 100 sheets

Mike O'Pray
20th April 2009, 10:38 PM
Just a heads -up as they say. There a Buy It Now price of £38 on the above from Sheffieldphotocentre. New stock it says. This seems much cheaper than any I have seen recently. Roy's Photographic which I think is RKPhotographic( am I right?) is asking £53!

Bad as WT RC is price wise WT FB seem to have gone into orbit. It's a king's ransom as they used to say in Robin Hood. Not that any of you are old enough to remember. :)

Even then you had to import a Scotsman to help Robin. He was called Archie Duncan with his stout quarterstaff and even stouter Glaswegian accent :D:

Mike

Trevor Crone
21st April 2009, 07:53 AM
Thank's for that Mike, it is nice paper. I'm going to produce some 8x10 work prints on it today. I do use it quite a bit.

If these prices continue to rise like this I think its salt printing for me:)

Mike O'Pray
21st April 2009, 06:06 PM
There is something going seriously awry with B&W paper prices. It seems to fly in the face of what I understand the economics of recession to be about. I cannot and no doubt will not be able to get to the bottom of why the increase.

Just about every raw material I can think of, should have decreased in price in this recession but it's had no effect on paper prices - except the opposite to that which you'd expect.

In a recession they say to buy gold. As useless a metal as it is, it is everyone's safe haven in a recession. To that maxim maybe they should add B&W paper. 10,000 packs of various sizes bought say 18 months ago and stored properly then released gradually on e-bay would make you the George Soros of the analogue materials stock market :D:

Mike

Bob
21st April 2009, 06:12 PM
Most of the raw materials Ilford/Harman/Kentmere use have to be imported and Sterling has fallen relative to all other main currencies in the last year - I think you have at least one major reason there.

Mind you, in the previous two years when Sterling was riding high against the same major currencies, prices still went up...

Trevor Crone
21st April 2009, 06:27 PM
I can't wait for Tesco's to start stocking b/w photographic paper:D

Richard Gould
21st April 2009, 06:31 PM
I wish anyone over here would stock b/w paper over here in any quanity, Jessops do now stock a small quanity of ilford mg, but no fb or wt Richard

S Raff
22nd April 2009, 07:12 PM
Do you have a link for that Mike? cant find the paper on the site?

Mike O'Pray
22nd April 2009, 10:34 PM
Sorry Stephen I now realise I hadn't actually mentioned e-bay but it is an e-bay item. Item no. 260394678169 It's on page 3 of the paper section under photography. The seller is Sheffieldphotocentre. This seems to be a power seller which is why it uses a B.I.N. price no doubt.

Mike

S Raff
23rd April 2009, 07:37 AM
Thank you Mike, not used this paper yet but having just got back from the Highlands and having a handful of negatives I think this could be the ticket.

Stephen

Mike O'Pray
23rd April 2009, 06:15 PM
Stephen I did get some once on e-bay and found that its warmth even in WT dev was very subtle. In fact I wondered if I was doing something wrong as I thought initially that there was no difference in the WT prints and some MGIV prints I had done earlier. In fact there is but you really have to look at two together initially to see the difference.

Having said that, I think that if WT prints become your norm then switching back to MG will reveal a difference that is more obvious. In other words the switch to WT is more difficult to detect than going back to MG, if that makes sense.

It's an OK paper. Pity about the price difference. One e-bay seller wants a few pennies less than £68 for a box of 100 WT RC 10x8 sheets :eek:

Mike.

S Raff
23rd April 2009, 09:17 PM
Thanks for that Mike, gives food for thought. I have only just started my journey in printing my own negatives (a couple of months or so) and I feel a little like a sponge at the moment wanting to soak up every technique, trick or tip in hope of producing a respectable print. I do recognize the need to settle down and get to grips with perhaps a set selection of chemicals and paper and then learn how to vary those to produce the final look I desire.

Okay in danger of heading completely of topic so I quit it there.
Stephen