PDA

View Full Version : Just the One

Dave miller
15th September 2008, 05:38 PM
I was just musing over dinner as one does, and wondered, if asked, which single book I would suggest to a beginner interested in leaning printing. I’m quite clear which one I would recommend, but what about you. Name just one and outline you reason why you would endorse it.

Bill
19th September 2008, 12:32 PM
Hi Dave,

I will be the first to stick my head over the parapet! :)

It is actually a very good question and has taken some thinking about. There are lots of good books BUT if you are aiming at the beginner to learn about printing then the one book I would recommend is:

Creative Black and White Photography by Les McLean.

Reasons: It starts from the beginning telling how to first create a good negative without which printing becomes hard work. It leads the photographer through the process of determining personal film speed and development to suit their equipment and working methods. It then goes on to creating not only the straight print but also split grade printing, alternative processes and even that other process in the light.:p
The example images are relevant and explained.

There are lots of other books of course but none that I have or have seen that explains the process as clearly and without wandering too far from the point unlike say Thornton whose gems are partially masked by the anecdotes. Blakemore's book is similar to Les's but again can stray into anecdote. Tim Rudman's book is good but does not cover the production of the negative which I believe is a foundation to good prints.

Bill

BobRob
30th December 2008, 12:45 AM
I am fortunate enough to have the books that Bill mentioned,and would endorse his view of Les's book.

I would like to add a book that I often dip into even though iv'e had it for many years.

Creative Elelments by Eddie Ephraums not only tells the reader what to do but actually shows Eddie in action in the darkroom.Even the ''simple'' job of using a bit of card to burn a sky is made clear. If I was forced to make a choice this would be mine.

But they have all made a contribution to my enjoyment and understanding of the craft.

Bob.

Roy_H
30th December 2008, 05:00 PM
I've not seen Les McLean's book but don't for one minute doubt that it would be excellent for a new starter, judging by everything else that I've seen written by him.

My own choice, based on actually having a copy and on being a long-time admirer both of his approach and output, would probably be John Blakemore's 'Black & White Photography Workshop'. Reading it a couple of years ago I was inspired to return to the darkroom and it restored my faith in the survival on non-digital image-making.

That said, for someone starting out from scratch perhaps Eddie Ephraum's 'Creative Elements' would be more appropriate. I found it very clear and concise; much more of a beginner's 'how to' book than Blakemore's in many ways, but detailed enough to engage my interest.

The only other one I have personal knowledge of is Barry Thornton's 'Edge of Darkness'. A lot of valuable information in there but probably not one for an absolute beginner.

B&W Neil
31st December 2008, 09:27 AM
The book I found most useful was Photographic Printing, by Gene Nocon. My wife bought this for me back in 1987 to help me out when the aforementioned books, and many others, were not available. It certainly taught me a lot (f stop printing etc and lith printing) and it is still a good resource if you can find a copy. But having said that if I had to chose just one book on the subject to recommend to someone it would be Les McLean's excellent book as it covers printing so well and is very well illustrated - also the guy is still doing it :-)

Neil