PDA

View Full Version : CPE 2 & lift

neilp
22nd March 2014, 03:36 PM
I have been given a CPE 2 with lift - it looks new. But it has a 2840 print drum. This has the magnet attachment, but the lift is driven by a cog (I have been looking for manuals etc on the web). I assume that this is why it looks like its never been used - that someone bought it without the correct tanks. Can someone confirm exactly which drums I need - I want to develop film. Also how does the drum work in terms of drainage and being lighttight?

thanks
Neil

EdBray
22nd March 2014, 04:06 PM
The 2840 drum just needs a lid fitting cog to work with the lift (like this) (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-JOBO-1505-Cog-for-use-with-JOBO-tank-on-Lift-Processor-/321336389698?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ad1243042) and you don't then need either the magnet or the red rubber lid. Personally I would remove the magnet when you fit the cog as it will just put more strain on the motor to leave it in position.

Bob
23rd March 2014, 06:19 PM
There is a web-based manual on the Jobo USA website: http://www.jobo.com/jobo_service_analog/us_analog/instructions/instructions_manual_cpe-2_plus_00.htm. It has info on using the lift with cogged drum lids.

Cheers, Bob.

neilp
23rd March 2014, 08:41 PM
Thanks for your responses - I can see a bit a bit of internet shopping looming. Missing bung for the inlet/ outlet nozzle and the cog lid. Still not sure looking at Ed's ebay link how tank is airtight

EdBray
23rd March 2014, 08:59 PM
Thanks for your responses - I can see a bit a bit of internet shopping looming. Missing bung for the inlet/ outlet nozzle and the cog lid. Still not sure looking at Ed's ebay link how tank is airtight

It isn't, it's not meant to be, you only use the amount of chemicals stated, not fill the tank up. Typically the amount is less than you would expect.

Mike O'Pray
23rd March 2014, 11:28 PM
Neil, you might want to try and down load the Jobo manuals that show the print drum. You may already know this but the print drum is quite different from the film tank. The latter allows the liquid to flow straight into the reel, works instantly and relies on you to instantly place on the rotary processor so the limited amount of liquid then form a shallow bath into which the film constantly revolves.

The print drum has a cup holder under the lid so the print developer remains in the cup and makes no contact with the print paper until the drum is laid on its side and attached to the processor when it flows out of the cup and into the lower drum. However the process is essentially the same. The drum on its side has a much reduced quantity of liquid that forms a shallow bath into which the paper constantly rotates so both film and print processing is very economical

I could try and explain how the cup works to keep the print paper light-tight and do it very badly. If you look at the constituent parts of a print drum then it will be clear how it works but as I said it may be that the manuals have illustrations that make it clear

Mike

RichardWarom
24th March 2014, 06:08 AM
Neil
Have a look at Firstcall website under film processing as they still sell quite a lot of Jobo bits and pieces like cogs and tanks etc I have bought these items from them in the past and prices are not out of reach.
best of luck
Richard