PDA

View Full Version : The Lake District

Keith Tapscott.
27th March 2014, 02:14 PM
We are thinking about booking a weeks holiday in the Lake District around September, probably around the Borrowdale area.

I'm sure I will find plenty of photo opportunities, but does anyone have any suggestions of what areas and places to visit so that I can do some planning? We will be traveling by car.

Thanks in advance.

Argentum
27th March 2014, 02:36 PM
Plan for heavy traffic. Thre's no such thing as low season in the Lakes but summmer or late summer will be busy. Take very good waterproofs. Rains a LOT in the lakes. Get to your days location early to avoid traffic and walk uphill to get away from the crowds.
Doesn't matter where you go you will find, water, rocks, drystone walls, hillside farms, sheep, rivers and woodland to photograph.
I'd say do your planning based on the walks you want to do. Get yourself one of the myriad of lakeland walking guides/books, Wainrights being the classic ones. Plan a daily walk with a days plan B in case of torrential rain and then everything will revolve around that. And for Plan B days the towns will be crawling with tourists, not that they aren't anyway.

photomi7ch
27th March 2014, 04:15 PM
With that right up I would go to Spain :D

B&W Neil
27th March 2014, 04:50 PM
Keith,

It will be busy but even so once you have parked and start walking the place gets less crowded. Take plenty of small change as you will need it for the car parks - even the NT ones now charge you! If you want to abandon the car for a day drive to Keswick and take the round robin ferry around Derwentwater hopping off and on at various stops along the way - loads of good photo opportunities to be had.

Neil.

Argentum
27th March 2014, 06:18 PM
September after the schools have gone back is Pensioner season. They move more slowly, especially when driving. Still that gives you more time to appreciate the countryside as you drive along. :D

KevinAllan
27th March 2014, 09:06 PM
Dalt Quarry near Grange-in-Borrowdale is well worth a visit and can be incorporated into a short but steep walk up Castle Crag which has photogenic opportunities on the way up, on the top, and the view from the top.

If you want to concentrate on photography rather than hill-walking I'd say the Wainwrights are not the best guides because they concentrate on listing all the routes to the top, but photographically better views can be found on lakeside and riverside walks, perhaps because there is more vegetation. Of course in the long run if you regularly visit the Lakes and walk the tops you will discover the valley walks on the way up, or on the way down when you may be too tired to lift the camera !

If you have good waterproofs, and maybe an umbrella for sheltering the camera, then even pouring rain needn't stop you from doing detail studies in the woods, of rocks, and of waterfalls.

Bill
27th March 2014, 10:00 PM
Keith,

even the NT ones now charge you!

Neil.

The NT car parks are free if you are an NT member. The confusion arises because the ones near to Rydal at White Moss were taken back by the original owners, Lowther Estates I think, and it is they who have imposed the charges.

Bill

Bill
27th March 2014, 10:02 PM
September after the schools have gone back is Pensioner season. They move more slowly, especially when driving. Still that gives you more time to appreciate the countryside as you drive along. :D

As a pensioner living near the Lake District Thanks for that. What holds us up is the visitors who drive slowly to look at the views!

Bill

Argentum
27th March 2014, 10:40 PM
As a pensioner living near the Lake District Thanks for that. What holds us up is the visitors who drive slowly to look at the views!

Bill

Your're welcome :D

Living in the South Hams of Devon I see it every year. As soon as the school hols are over the families with young children disappear and BAM!!!, there's loads of very much older holiday makers in evidence.

John King
28th March 2014, 06:52 AM
Non of these are really strenuous but will give you more photographic opportunities than you can shake a stick at.

1. Park at the lakeside car park in Keswick, they charge for this but the costs are not astronomic like some places (Ambleside for one) then walk up the side of the lake following the path which takes you sometimes away from the lake but at times almost walking in it. Some of the walk is along the lakeside road but not much. Finish your walk at one of the two cafe's at Grange. Then walk along the west side of the lake to the footpath that takes you over the end of the lake on a suspended wooden walkway almost to the Lodore Falls Hotel and get the ferry back to Keswick. About 5 miles walking in all and most of it on level(ish) ground

2. Drive to Grange and park up at the end of the bridge in the village. Get there early because it is a prime location and parking otherwise is very restricted. Walk through the village past the 2nd cafe and turn left onto the footpath heading up Borrowdale valley. Either follow the path along the river which brings you out on the road a couple of miles down from Grange and then walk to Seatoller. Return via the reverse route.

OR

My preferred route take the right fork on the same footpath out of Grange and start the gentle climb up the path past Castle Crag and along the old sheep trail, again to Seatoller. This is a bit of a rough road at times and good walking boots are recommended to stop the stony surface hurting your feet. There may be a bit of scrambling to do, depending if the path has been damaged during the winter.

There is a good cafe in Seathwaite and you will be ready for their huge pots of tea. Walk back to Grange via the low road described in the early part of the walk No 2. About 6 miles all the way.

(Seatoller at one time had the reputation of being the wettest part of the UK, how true that is I don't know)

B&W Neil
28th March 2014, 07:56 AM
The NT car parks are free if you are an NT member. The confusion arises because the ones near to Rydal at White Moss were taken back by the original owners, Lowther Estates I think, and it is they who have imposed the charges.

Bill

The Derwentwater NT car parks were charging NT members the last time I visited - albeit at a slightly reduced rate but as life long NT member it still grated!

Neil.

paulc
28th March 2014, 11:00 AM
Watch out for the car parks run by the Lake District park authority - They have climbed in to bed with Parking Eye (ex-wheel clamping cowboys) and now operate ANPR cameras at many of the LDNPA car parks (http://www.lakedistrict.gov.uk/visiting/planyourvisit/travelandtransport/carparks).

Back to topic - Whilst not Borrowdale, Castlerigg stone circle is a short drive from Keswick. If you can get there before the tourists, a few rocks are lying around waiting to be photographed.

Bill
28th March 2014, 03:06 PM
The Derwentwater NT car parks were charging NT members the last time I visited - albeit at a slightly reduced rate but as life long NT member it still grated!

Neil.

Thanks for the warning Neil. I will have a look next time I am there.

Bill

GoodOldNorm
28th March 2014, 04:46 PM
If you fancy a day out Wasdale head is superb as is Buttermere, Ordanance Survey (AA walks maps places to see) do a very informative book. This book (used) on Amazon is 1 pence + P&P.

Argentum
28th March 2014, 04:48 PM
A drive to the top of Hardknott pass is a once in a lifetime experience.

Argentum
28th March 2014, 05:21 PM
Traffic, car park fess or rain, don't let us put you off. It's a fantastic place to visit any time of the year if you like the great outdoors.

B&W Neil
28th March 2014, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the warning Neil. I will have a look next time I am there.

Bill

Bill,

That was the case when I last visited - especially with the NT CPs that have a Derwentwater frontage. I did try remonstrating but I still had to pay :eek: Mind this seems to be a spreading menace as the same now applies to some of the Dartmoor NP car parks that used to be free :confused:

Neil.

Mike O'Pray
28th March 2014, 06:53 PM
Bill,

That was the case when I last visited - especially with the NT CPs that have a Derwentwater frontage. I did try remonstrating but I still had to pay :eek: Mind this seems to be a spreading menace as the same now applies to some of the Dartmoor NP car parks that used to be free :confused:

Neil.

I hadn't realised this either as a NT member. I wonder what NT's answer would be if asked to justify this? Can it be the popularity of the view? On that basis of supply and demand it seems to me that we are then only a short step away from charging for the most popular properties at say Bank Holidays or say charging for the most spectacular views from Castle Drago :D

Might be worth a question at the AGM?

Mike

Keith Tapscott.
29th March 2014, 07:31 AM
Thanks for all the replies. We are both NT members, so parking fees shouldn't be too much of a problem and I will be aware of aggressive pensioners, particularly those wielding dangerous pro-grade DSLR's. :D

Castlerigg Stone Circle looks interesting. I believe there is also a disused slate quarry around there as well, but the name escapes me.

RH Designs
29th March 2014, 08:52 AM
The LDNPA car parks are a pain. They have machines which are supposed to take card payments but so far out of the three car parks I've been to recently (Glenridding and Grasmere areas) all three of them didn't work. Take plenty of £1 coins if you're planning to use them because they're not cheap.

Borrowdale is lovely but it's also reputedly the wettest place in England ... :)

B&W Neil
29th March 2014, 09:35 AM
I hadn't realised this either as a NT member. I wonder what NT's answer would be if asked to justify this? Can it be the popularity of the view? On that basis of supply and demand it seems to me that we are then only a short step away from charging for the most popular properties at say Bank Holidays or say charging for the most spectacular views from Castle Drago :D

Might be worth a question at the AGM?

Mike

Mike,

No thanks - I would rather be out making images :)

Neil.

photomi7ch
29th March 2014, 10:31 AM
The LDNPA car parks are a pain. They have machines which are supposed to take card payments but so far out of the three car parks I've been to recently (Glenridding and Grasmere areas) all three of them didn't work. Take plenty of £1 coins if you're planning to use them because they're not cheap.

Borrowdale is lovely but it's also reputedly the wettest place in England ... :)

I second what Richards has said. Parking in the lakes is a major expense. I tend to stay very close to where I want to walk and take pictures. So I can leave the car behind.

John King
30th March 2014, 05:05 PM

Neil.

I have just returned from Borrowdale valley today and made a point of checking with one of the wardens on their car parks and they definitely DO NOT charge National Trust members for parking. So if they were charging then they were 'on the take'. The only ones who have to pay are non members. Even NON member motorcyclists don't have to pay.

Argentum
30th March 2014, 05:22 PM
All these car parks must surely have a legal responsibility to have signage telling customers when and what they have to pay or not.

Mike O'Pray
30th March 2014, 05:23 PM
That has restored my faith in the NT, John, which I had always regarded as a pretty "up-front" body which held integrity in high esteem.

Certainly I have never experienced any attempt to charge at its Cornish car parks some of which command very good views indeed

Mike

John King
30th March 2014, 07:10 PM
All these car parks must surely have a legal responsibility to have signage telling customers when and what they have to pay or not.

All the 'pay' car parks are equipped with ticket machines with the price for each vehicle displayed on or next to the machine. Some are all day for a set charge, some are per hour or longer. You just have to check.

Some car parks do not have a charge, but have an 'honesty' box. Grange village has one of these but only has about space for 4 vehicles.
There is, as I was told, no charges for motorcycles EXCEPT at a place in Hebden Bridge, West Yorkshire where the charge is a flat £1, however the warden could not give a reason why that should be..

I was on a bike today so didn't have to pay anyway.

B&W Neil
31st March 2014, 09:43 AM
I have just returned from Borrowdale valley today and made a point of checking with one of the wardens on their car parks and they definitely DO NOT charge National Trust members for parking. So if they were charging then they were 'on the take'. The only ones who have to pay are non members. Even NON member motorcyclists don't have to pay.

I suspect they tried it on and had too many complaints and resignations - then got sensible again. Anyway good news to hear and long may this continue.

Neil.

B&W Neil
31st March 2014, 09:46 AM
That has restored my faith in the NT, John, which I had always regarded as a pretty "up-front" body which held integrity in high esteem.

Certainly I have never experienced any attempt to charge at its Cornish car parks some of which command very good views indeed

Mike

Mike,

We like to attract folks - not send them away ;)

Neil.

Tony Marlow
31st March 2014, 06:28 PM
We like to attract folks - not send them away

Neil I thought you were trying to get a Unilateral Declaration of Independence for Cornwall, set up border controls and tax the tourists up to the hilt to finance your exchequer? Power to the people.

Tony

Argentum
31st March 2014, 08:02 PM
Neil I thought you were trying to get a Unilateral Declaration of Independence for Cornwall, set up border controls and tax the tourists up to the hilt to finance your exchequer? Power to the people.

Tony

Do they have posters with the acronym for that placed at the borders :D

B&W Neil
31st March 2014, 10:09 PM
Tony / Argentum

Don't mock as it exists :cool:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornish_National_Liberation_Army

But getting back to the OPP about visiting the Lake District and the annoyance of getting caught for car parking charges, which seems to be the norm nearly everywhere you go these days. The Lake District is a fantastic place to visit with and well worth putting up with parting with a few pounds for a car parking. I would recommend it to everyone cark park charges or not.

Neil.

RH Designs
1st April 2014, 08:51 AM
It's not the charges that are the problem, it's being unable to pay them (thereby risking a fine) because the machines don't work properly!

B&W Neil
1st April 2014, 09:30 AM
It's not the charges that are the problem, it's being unable to pay them (thereby risking a fine) because the machines don't work properly!

Richard,

I agree that would be worrying - especially if you came back and found your vehicle had been clamped :(

Neil.

paulc
1st April 2014, 09:51 AM
especially if you came back and found your vehicle had been clamped :(

Wheel clamping is illegal and should be reported to the police - The only exception is when a High Court Enforcement Officer is clamping to enforce a court order.

If you get a Parking Charge Notice for an "infringement" parking on private land, it is not a fine, just a demand for money from an ex-wheel-clamper - There is little, if any legal basis for the invoice and can be successfully challenged.

A Penalty Charge Notice issued in accordance with the relevant Road Traffic Act or appropriate bylaw should never be ignored.

RH Designs
1st April 2014, 12:01 PM
In the Glenridding car park there's a National Park Centre so when I couldn't get the machine to work I called in there. The lady at the desk rolled her eyes and got out a book of pre-printed tickets, saying it happened all the time :rolleyes:. Seems like they need to have a word with the parking meter manufacturer ...

Part of the problem with areas like the Lakes is the lack of any alternative to the car. Many Lakes roads are not bus-friendly. Here in the Yorkshire Dales the Dalesbus initiative is getting better established though they still have a tendency to not run on Sundays, and in any case are geared up for bussing people in from the nearby towns and cities in the morning and taking them home at night. This doesn't really help the residents! I cannot practically get to the Lakes by public transport, the best I can do is a Settle-Carlisle train to Carlisle and then either round the Cumbrian coast or back down the main line to Kendal via Oxenholme - which would take the best part of a day :).

But we digress! Here's a handy web page about public transport in and around Keswick, including the Honister Rambler which serves Grange and Borrowdale:

http://www.keswick.org/visitor-information/getting-to-keswick/transport-in-keswick/

Argentum
1st April 2014, 12:51 PM
It should be difficult to get to. Makes it all the more worthwhile when you do. I think they should ban cars from National parks altogether(except for people with permits). You drive to car parks on edge then walk or bus to where you want to be. Then its by foot or bus from then on. That would solve the traffic problem.

Tony Marlow
1st April 2014, 01:10 PM
I think they should ban cars from National parks altogether

What about the elderly and the infirm? Sounds like another bout of age discrimination, we already get it from the NHS. No doubt you would have us all put down at the age of 65, bring back the gas chambers?

Tony

Argentum
1st April 2014, 01:41 PM
Ahem....

except for people with permits

Argentum
1st April 2014, 01:56 PM
What about the elderly and the infirm? Sounds like another bout of age discrimination, we already get it from the NHS. No doubt you would have us all put down at the age of 65, bring back the gas chambers?

Tony

Good idea, the world is already vastly over populated to an un-sustainable level.

Did you know that England is one of the most populated countries in the world. 400 people per square kilometer. Spread them all out equally and they would be only 50 meters apart. Thats approx 0.6 acre per person in England. A cow needs between 1 and 2 acres to survive without additional feed (additional feed means more land used elsewhere). Once you start taking all the land away that our agricultural animals need(livestock 10M, Pigs 5M, Sheep 33M), all the uninhabitable land (land that you can't make a living from without very large acreage(lakedistrict)) then that 0.6 acres per person becomes a lot smaller.
India and China have a lower population density than we do. Only a handful of countries are more densly populated than we are and nearly all of them are much smaller countries. We have the highest population density in the West with the exception of the Netherlands which we are about to overtake and it's rising at pace. It's already un-sustainable. What are you going to do about it? I'd guess nothing or pay for some research that gives the answer you want hear (even if its wrong) and carry on regardless.

p.s. It would solve the pension problem too :D

Tony Marlow
1st April 2014, 04:19 PM
What are you going to do about it?

Well Argentum, you seem to have all the answers to everything you better get yourselve elected to Parliament and then you can resolve it all yourself.

Tony

Argentum
1st April 2014, 05:25 PM
Well Argentum, you seem to have all the answers to everything you better get yourselve elected to Parliament and then you can resolve it all yourself.

Tony

And thats the problem, the politicians know it and our political system being so adversarial that any party attempting to address the problem by disuading people from breeding would be commiting political suicide. The opposition, who ever they were, would think they had won the lottery. This is of course based on the assumption that the poplous (that's us), wouldn't like being told to stop breeding or be taxed heavily for for doing so. The net result being there would probably be massive civil unrest. Or to put it in simple terms, the greenest thing about those wanting to save the planet (or our country) is the bit the bit behind their ears. As long as the population continues to rise, which it will regardless of what the UN would have you believe, the situation will just get worse. Your parking fees will get higher and higher as land becomes more and more scarce per head. Tell people they should walk and they'll complain. Tell people their food is going to cost more and they'll complain. People will become poorer and poorer. And what do they do when they can't afford to go out? They stay in and breed which is exactly whats happening now with the current baby boom and what has caused all the problems in the first place. Over consumption caused by over population and no politicians are prepared to address the problem. They mess about trying to alleviate a few of the symptoms which is the usual short term solution so they can avoid the root problem.

Rant over.

Tony Marlow
1st April 2014, 07:34 PM
And thats the problem,

Aye, we're all DOOOOOOOMED I tell ya, DOOOOOOOMED.

Tony

Argentum
1st April 2014, 11:01 PM
Aye, we're all DOOOOOOOMED I tell ya, DOOOOOOOMED.

Tony

That's the other problem, people don't take it seriously. The word NIMBY comes to mind or people just don't percieve it as a problem as long as they can buy food in the supermarket and go on holiday they just don't care. They'll tell you they're doing their bit to save the planet by taking their empties to the bottle bank and talking the talk but when it actually comes to walking the walk and doing or not doing something that has a real negative impact on their desired lifestype it's another matter all together.

RichardWarom
2nd April 2014, 05:52 AM
I logged onto FADU but seem to have been transported to a different forum of political ranting, how did a request for good places to go in the lake district end up like this, even if the responses are in jest they are not appropriate. Lets please return to what we are about as a forum.
Richard

Argentum
2nd April 2014, 07:32 AM
april fools day is over. Normal service resumed.

B&W Neil
2nd April 2014, 08:35 AM
I hope Keith is taking note of all this excellent advice on places to make images in the Lake District :rolleyes:

Neil.

paulc
2nd April 2014, 09:15 AM
I'm also keeping notes as I will be heading up that way in June for a couple of weeks.

John King
2nd April 2014, 12:45 PM
I'm also keeping notes as I will be heading up that way in June for a couple of weeks.

If you are heading up the Borrowdale Valley expect severe delays if it is busy. There are major roadworks on the east side near the Watendlath turning due to repairs to the road that slipped into the lake. Traffic lights are in use. I was passed there on Sunday and it looks as if the works will still be inn progress for a good while yet.

paulc
2nd April 2014, 01:11 PM
If you are heading up the Borrowdale Valley expect severe delays if it is busy.

If I'm in Borrowdale, road traffic will be of little concern - I'll probably come over from Esk Hause and then cut across Castlerigg Fell to the stone circle avoiding the roads where I can.

Keith Tapscott.
6th April 2014, 06:20 AM
We have booked our holiday cottage in the Lake District and are looking forward to it.
Thanks everyone for the advice and I will read through this thread again before we make our journey there in September. :) :)

Keith Tapscott.
6th April 2014, 06:21 AM
Tony / Argentum

Don't mock as it exists :cool:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornish_National_Liberation_Army

Neil.I never heard of this before. LOL :D

Argentum
24th April 2014, 03:37 AM

Tony

OMG it's happening :eek:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-27132035

B&W Neil
24th April 2014, 06:27 AM
OMG it's happening :eek:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-27132035

Long overdue IMHO. I shall start learning Cornish :)

Neil

Tony Marlow
24th April 2014, 08:20 PM
Long overdue IMHO. I shall start learning Cornish

Neil, you are a renegade, Your name is on the list. You had better flee when we send in the gunboat. http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/images/smilies/wagfinger.gif

Tony

Argentum
24th April 2014, 09:32 PM
should chop off cornwall and push it out into mid altlantic since they want to be insular. Come to think of it we could do the same with wales and scotland too :D

Mike O'Pray
24th April 2014, 11:01 PM
Long overdue IMHO. I shall start learning Cornish :)

Neil

I wish you well. It is a difficult language as those of us who watched Jamaica Inn this last few days will testify:D

Mike

Mike O'Pray
24th April 2014, 11:08 PM
should chop off cornwall and push it out into mid altlantic since they want to be insular. Come to think of it we could do the same with wales and scotland too :D

Ah yes, local is best. I too can well remember the Tooting Liberation Front and the Che Guevara beret. :D

Mike

B&W Neil
25th April 2014, 07:34 AM
I thought this thread was supposed to be about the Lake District :rolleyes:

Neil.

paulc
25th April 2014, 10:12 AM
I thought this thread was supposed to be about the Lake District :rolleyes:

In an attempt to get it back on track....

Would anyone care to comment on maps of the area ?

I have a set of OS Explorer maps (OL4-7, 1:25000 scale) and constantly find that the area I want invariably requires three of the maps. Recently found the AA do a map of the Central Lakes (http://shop.theaa.com/store/aa-walker-s-maps/2-central-lake-district-aa-walker-s-map-series) in a 1:25000 scale. Doesn't quite cover the far eastern & western fells so I'll still need a thin strip from the Explorer series to cover High Street from end to end...

Found a couple of stone circles up on the fells that may be worth shooting. Being a fair distance from any road, there shouldn't be many tourists getting in the way.

John King
25th April 2014, 10:26 AM
The 1/25000 maps of the Lakes are ideal and hold a terrific amount of detail, but I find them too cumbersome to use every time I head out.

I have taken to planning where I am going then scanning that particular section of the maps, even enlarging them via the computer before printing them to A4 size. If they get wet - so be it. Much cheaper than having to replace a whole map sheet.

RH Designs
25th April 2014, 12:20 PM
I use Tracklogs (http://tracklogs.co.uk/) digital mapping to plan a route, upload it to a GPS (so I don't get lost!), and print out a customised map. It uses the 1:25000 OS map but you can print out at more or less any scale you want. The standard OS paper maps are a bit unwieldy in a Cumbrian gale ...

Paulc - I sympathise, where I live is right in a corner of all three of the Yorkshire Dales Explorer maps :).

TonyMiller
25th April 2014, 02:19 PM
We run a B&B and our area - Wrelton in North Yorkshire - is on the edge of a couple of walking maps so I had one custom made making us the centre of the map. Useful service by the OS.

https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/shop/custom-made-maps.html

Tony

In an attempt to get it back on track....

Would anyone care to comment on maps of the area ?

I have a set of OS Explorer maps (OL4-7, 1:25000 scale) and constantly find that the area I want invariably requires three of the maps. Recently found the AA do a map of the Central Lakes (http://shop.theaa.com/store/aa-walker-s-maps/2-central-lake-district-aa-walker-s-map-series) in a 1:25000 scale. Doesn't quite cover the far eastern & western fells so I'll still need a thin strip from the Explorer series to cover High Street from end to end...

Found a couple of stone circles up on the fells that may be worth shooting. Being a fair distance from any road, there shouldn't be many tourists getting in the way.

Tony Marlow
25th April 2014, 02:40 PM
Those links are very useful for AA Maps and Tracklogs as I think the Ordanance Survey are now stopping the printing of their 1:50,000 series which follows the stopping a little while ago of the printing of their 1;250,000 series. It seems there is no let up in the quest to turn us all into electronic robots.
Thanks for the links.
Tony

Barry
25th April 2014, 02:50 PM
It is very important to always carry a 1:25000 map in your pack even if you have a GPS, batteries fail. Common sense really.

Argentum
25th April 2014, 02:56 PM
It is very important to always carry a 1:25000 map in your pack even if you have a GPS, batteries fail. Common sense really.

Not a lot of use if you are in a fog white out, don't know where you are or how to use a map and compass. That's the problem relying on GPS, when it goes wrong you probably can't find your position on a map so its safer to use a map from the start.

On three occasions I have been in a walking group with other people doing map reading who claimed they knew what they were doing. On three occasions they got lost and I had to sort them out.

It's amazing how many people just don't understand maps and how to use a compass.

Hell, they can't even find an airliner with satelite tracking, monitored echo soundings and all the highend military kit including submarines. Doesn't say much for modern technology does it. Film Rules OK

RH Designs
26th April 2014, 08:28 AM
As I said, I always print out a map of my route as well as using the GPS. The latter has never gone wrong on me yet but I've still needed to refer to the map on occasions when there is some doubt - about which side of a stone wall the path goes for example.

paulc
7th June 2014, 03:28 PM
Castlerigg Stone Circle looks interesting. I believe there is also a disused slate quarry around there as well, but the name escapes me.

Plenty of slate mines in the Borrowdale area - Honister Slate Mine (http://www.honister-slate-mine.co.uk/) is probably the best known. The one you're probably thinking of is the Threlkeld Quarry (http://www.threlkeldquarryandminingmuseum.co.uk/) which is now a museum complete with a narrow gauge railway.

Don't know how fit and active you are, but judging by the maps, Dock Tarn might be worth a visit - Going in from Watendlath, you'd go over Ashness Bridge, pass by Surprise View, and end up on the shores of Watendlath Tarn. The trail up to Dock Tarn would take in another packhorse bridge and cascading water along Bowdergate Gill.

About a mile east of Dock Tarn is Blea Tarn - If the weather is good, it looks like it may offer some worthy photographic opportunities. Should I make it back, I'll let you know.

DaveP
8th June 2014, 07:34 AM
Plenty of slate mines in the Borrowdale area - Honister Slate Mine (http://www.honister-slate-mine.co.uk/) is probably the best known. The one you're probably thinking of is the Threlkeld Quarry (http://www.threlkeldquarryandminingmuseum.co.uk/) which is now a museum complete with a narrow gauge railway.

There's quite a well known photogenic slate quarry in borrowdale too, only about 15mins drive from castlerigg, Dalt Quarry it's called.

paulc
28th June 2014, 10:35 PM
My preferred route take the right fork on the same footpath out of Grange and start the gentle climb up the path past Castle Crag and along the old sheep trail, again to Seatoller.

If you take the trail round the west of Castle Crag with the intention of climbing it, don't be tempted to scramble up the first two spoil slopes. There is a small path to the right on both which is a much safer route. On the third and final spoil slope, there is a narrow path that zigzags up it - Watch your footing as it can be a little exciting, especially when coming down.

A couple of snaps to whet your appetite:

Keith Tapscott.
18th September 2014, 10:30 AM
We are off to the lake district this coming Saturday.
A non-photographic question, does anyone know where the nearest supermarket is?

We will be leaving the motorway at junction 40.

Cheers.

Argentum
18th September 2014, 11:09 AM
Birmingham :D

Argentum
18th September 2014, 12:08 PM
there is a Sainsburys and Morrisons in Penrith. None of the major supermarkets in Keswick by the look of it but there is a Spar in Keswick.

check out the supermarket websites, they all have store locator pages where you can find address, map and opening times.

paulc
18th September 2014, 12:21 PM
Booths (http://www.booths.co.uk/) is the main supermarket chain in Cumbria. They have a store in Penrith, but the Keswick store is probably easier to access and is one of their larger outlets.

Sid Dongre
18th September 2014, 01:23 PM
There's also a re-furbished Co-op in Keswick, just round the corner from Booth's/Bust Station, on the way to the Pencil Museum.

Keith Tapscott.
18th September 2014, 02:38 PM
there is a Sainsburys and Morrisons in Penrith. None of the major supermarkets in Keswick by the look of it but there is a Spar in Keswick.

check out the supermarket websites, they all have store locator pages where you can find address, map and opening times.Either Sainsbury's or Morrison's will do, so we will get the groceries on the way to the cottage. No Wi-Fi at the cottage though. :(

Cheers and thanks all. :)

The cameras and films are packed already. :D

Argentum
18th September 2014, 03:34 PM
looks like weather might be decent for early part of week but in the Lake District you can have 4 seasons in the space of an hour:)

JimW
19th September 2014, 03:17 PM
Worked in kendal for kentmere (the printing arm of the company, not the photographic side) for two weeks. it rained solidly for 12 days.....

Keith Tapscott.
4th October 2014, 06:14 PM
We have just got back. There are quite a few rolls to process when I eventually get around to it.