PDA

View Full Version : Gossen Sixticolor meter

alexmuir
5th April 2014, 11:20 AM
I bought one of these recently, but am returning it as it didn't work. Does anyone have experience of using one? It works without batteries, so I assume it has a selenium or similar cell. I would like to know if the cells are prone to failure through age like selenium cell exposure meters. If so, there could be a good chance that any example may not work. That would put me off a future purchase without seeing the meter first. Any experience appreciated.
Alex

Mike O'Pray
5th April 2014, 04:36 PM
No experience Alex but my understanding is that in most cases the odds favour very old selenium celled meters being unreliable or even totally defunct and while I think I have read somewhere that the cell can be replaced/repaired the cost of so doing is large in relation to what such meters are worth

Based on what your experience has been based on this thread and another of yours I am beginning to wonder if those donkey's-years-old Westons, seemingly beloved by those who own them, are the exceptions to the rule and you just never hear from those who have duff ones so it appears that all Westons are great because you only even hear from those with positive experiences.

Maybe it is an area where you either buy new or buy from some-one you know whose reliabilty for the truth is beyond question with a no questions asked returns policy or you pay cash on collection having first checked it out against a known accurate meter.

Mike

les dix
5th April 2014, 04:51 PM
Alex,
I have had a bad run with lightmeters having bought four in a row and all of them faulty, being CdS powered. Next time I buy a lightmeter I am resigned to paying for something new or fairly new as Mike suggests.
Les