PDA

View Full Version : Subversive advertising

Lostlabours
15th April 2014, 06:01 PM
There seem to be a lot of people using posts to advertise their businesses.

It seems rather biased as Silverprint, RK Photographic etc, the better well established companies aren't getting the same deal. A non sponsors seem to get a free hand.

Ian

Argentum
15th April 2014, 07:07 PM
that'll be the latest and greatest magic bullet then:wag:

Bob
15th April 2014, 08:06 PM
It's a fine-line to tread.

Generally, people selling the occasional bits and pieces is not a problem but if you see commercial people selling a lot of stuff continuously without putting anything back in terms of interaction on the forums etc then do let us know and we see if it is appropriate - or not.

Likewise, people are free to use a signature to draw attention to their websites etc.

Cheers, Bob.

Bob
15th April 2014, 08:14 PM
I should mention that we would of course encourage Silverprint, RK etc to make posts themselves when they have a new item or special offer etc.

Xpres
16th April 2014, 06:39 AM
As I understand it...
I think by 'subversive' Ian means joining in a thread... a discussion... with a post just to highlight a business or product rather than contribute to that thread, which I think does overstep that fine line but very rarely happens.
There is nothing subversive about starting a thread to promote an event or perhaps a new product launch as long as it stays within the rules.

Michael
16th April 2014, 10:04 AM
A thread was joined in that way recently; but the poster made it clear that the moderators had been informed beforehand. That seemed to me to be a good way of doing it.

Mike O'Pray
16th April 2014, 11:30 AM
As Bob has said it can be a fine line but there may be occasions when joining a thread with an announcement that has some relevance is acceptable even if it wasn't the raison d'etre of the thread originally.

So far FADU has been able to stop what I'd term the "wandering thread" getting out of hand.

I am thinking of threads that occur elsewhere usually under such titles as Lounge, Soapbox etc where within a dozen or so posts the photographic origins of it are lost and a few people who were once friends are then at each others throats over non photographic matters:D

Mike