PDA

View Full Version : Home Studio recommendations

Collas
10th May 2014, 03:14 PM
I've seen the Novoflex Magic Studio set-ups - the 50 and the 80 - on the Speed Graphic site (http://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/table_top_studio/novoflex_magicstudio_50_set/15066_p.html) and was wondering if anyone has used one. Is it worth the price, or is there an alternative, not necessarily cheaper, that will do the job of shooting still lifes and product shots?

Nick

TonyMiller
10th May 2014, 03:46 PM
I haven't used that particular set-up but have used similar and they can, at some point, become quite limiting in what you can put in/ on them as far as size of object goes. For me, lighting would be where I would invest my money. Backgrounds, support tables and diffusion material can be found cheaply.

JOReynolds
10th May 2014, 04:27 PM
As suggested above, the main requirement is flexibility. I photograph 2D and 3D artwork for my family and friends. My studio table is made from Dexion Speedframe 25mm square-section tube with an upstand at the rear. It supports a transparent 6mm Perspex/Lucite top. Use offcuts to stop it from sagging. Onto this I can lay translucent gloss/matte polyester, roller-blind fabric, card or a roll of cartridge paper. This setup cost just over £160 in 2005. Since the corner joints are the same whatever the dimensions, the table can be tailored to your available space.
It allows products such as glassware, jewellery and pottery to be shot without shadow by gently adding light from below.
Because of the requirement to reproduce colour as accurately as possible, I invested in expensive lighting (in this case electronic flash) and borrowed an X-rite Color Munki to calibrate the system end-to-end. I shoot the colour digitally (because of the requirement to send images electronically) but B&W prints are made traditionally - much appreciated by my 'clients', especially the potter.

big paul
10th May 2014, 05:23 PM
collas there is a cheaper alternative ,second hand flash guns some type of trigger, cheap stands and some cardboard, umbrellas or soft boxes and a light meter that can meter flash ,all this can be used for portraits as well as objects ,and fill in flash ,unless its something that you are going to use a lot ,in that case it looks like a good setup ....

www.essexcockney.com

skellum
11th May 2014, 01:48 PM
Why conform? Why be like the rest?? Why go with shadowless, clean lighting and clutter free background when you could do this . . .
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Konica-Minolta-Maxxum-9-Dynax-9-35mm-Film-Camera-/141277181496?pt=UK_Film_Cameras&hash=item20e4c6b638