PDA

View Full Version : Print Exchange Round 63 July 2014

Tony Marlow
16th May 2014, 08:07 PM
Round 63 will be for July, there will be no Print Exchange for June. Anyone wishing to join can register from now until 30th June and send me a PM to confirm your address.

Closing date for registering your entry is 30th June 2014. Latest date for sending your print is 31st July 2014. I am only looking for one print in a month; there is plenty of room on my spreadsheet for all your entries so no one needs to hold back.

Print Exchange Rules
To start with you will have the remainder of this month to sign up, the cut-off being the last day of the month. If you wish to be included then make a post on this thread to that effect, and at the same time send me a PM with your name, and address.
Head the PM with the title “FADU Print Exchange Round”, and add the round number
At the beginning of next month those that have given me their details will be provided with the name and address of one other member to whom you will be expected to send your print before the end of the month.

You will not be told who has been asked to send you a print, so that it remains a surprise until you receive it. When you send your print please post to that effect on this thread, but do not say to whom you have sent it. We like to maintain the element of surprise until the last moment. When you receive a print please post to that effect on this thread, you may say who it is from and comment on it if you wish.

Anyone failing to send out their print without good reason will be excluded from future events. If you run into difficulty in this respect then please let me know.
If you wish to participate then confirm your intention on this thread and also send me a PM with your name and address.

The selection process will be as random as possible, and I will try and ensure that you receive a print from a different person in each round although eventually there will be some repetition.

Rules
• Your print must have been printed from a negative exposed in a film camera
• Inkjet, digitally printed photographs, or computer manipulated images are not allowed
• Your print paper can be any size that will fit in an envelope up to A4 size
• The image may be any size or format
• Paper type and finish is your choice, as is the subject
• Alternative processes, toning or other treatments are all accepted
• It is recommended you provide some background information with your print to assist your recipient as this encourages interchange
• Don‟t forget to enclose your details and FADU name so your recipient can thank you
• You are only responsible for the cost of posting your own print
• Please ensure you dispatch your print within the round month
• You must enjoy the experience
• If you have any queries or problems -please contact me as soon as possible.
Tony

TonyMiller
16th May 2014, 08:50 PM
I'm in for another round please Tony.

alexmuir
16th May 2014, 08:54 PM
I'll have another go. Thanks again Tony.
Alex

MikeHeller
17th May 2014, 08:21 AM
Please count me in again. I thought I would miss this one as I am away for the rest of the month, hopefully internetless!
Thanks, Mike

Terry S
17th May 2014, 10:53 AM
Me again also please.

Terry S

skellum
17th May 2014, 12:08 PM
Since I've posted round 62, I'd love to be in for 63.
If I understand rightly we have until the end of July to post- nearly 10 weeks?? Ought to try for something special then.

Derek Lincoln
18th May 2014, 03:39 PM
Put me down again Tony.

Derek

Bill
18th May 2014, 09:45 PM
I'm in again please Tony.

Bill

Martin Erdner
19th May 2014, 04:03 PM
Count me in again, thanks Tony! :)

PM sent.

Paul Glover
21st May 2014, 11:25 PM
I'm finally in a position to jump back in on this one!

BobRob
23rd May 2014, 01:31 PM
yes please Tony

Bobrob.

chisel
23rd May 2014, 07:16 PM
Count me in too please!!

Tom Choate
27th May 2014, 02:37 AM
Please put me in Tony, thank you.

Domingo
27th May 2014, 06:53 AM
I'm in again, Tony, please.

Richard Gould
27th May 2014, 09:18 AM
Another round for me Please, Tony
Richard

SimonNOTTS
28th May 2014, 06:02 PM
Yes please Tony, thanks, Simon

vincent
29th May 2014, 01:29 PM
I'm in again please Tony.

Graeme
31st May 2014, 12:47 PM
Yes please.

photomi7ch
1st June 2014, 10:23 AM
I would like to be included.

Michael
7th June 2014, 09:36 AM
High time I had a try at this; so yes please.

hastingsb
8th June 2014, 08:52 PM
sign me up please Tony.
Ben

Tony Marlow
28th June 2014, 07:06 PM
The list for Round 63 closes Tuesday morning, anyone wishing to join but who has not already done so please let me know by then. Those who have joined are listed below:-

Tony Miller
alexmuir
MikeHeller
Terry S
skellum
Derek Lincoln
Bill
Martin Erdner
Paul Glover
BobRob
chisel
Domingo
Tom Choate
Richard Gould
SimonNOTTS
vincent
Graeme
photomi7ch
Michael
hastingsb

Tony

andreios
28th June 2014, 07:16 PM
After a pause, count me in again, please.

Andrej

Ian Marsh
29th June 2014, 07:45 AM
yes please Tony

ymgandy
29th June 2014, 08:53 AM
Please put me in again please.

Tony Marlow
2nd July 2014, 01:33 PM
The list for Round 63 is closed; all those who have joined are listed below. If I have missed anybody please let me know immediately. PMs will go out at the end of the week.

Tony Miller
alexmuir
MikeHeller
Terry S
skellum
Derek Lincoln
Bill
Martin Erdner
Paul Glover
BobRob
chisel
Domingo
Tom Choate
Richard Gould
SimonNOTTS
vincent
Graeme
photomi7ch
Michael
hastingsb
andreios
Ian Marsh
ymgandy

Tony

Michael
4th July 2014, 10:37 AM
Posted this morning.

Martin Erdner
4th July 2014, 01:13 PM
Sent mine today :)

TonyMiller
4th July 2014, 03:02 PM
Mine went off this afternoon to..........?

photomi7ch
7th July 2014, 06:39 AM
Mine posted later today.

Richard Gould
7th July 2014, 02:14 PM
Mine went off this afternoon to..........?

And popped though my post box today, a very nice scene of a long row of terraced cottages across a river, nicely taken and beautifully printed, another great addition to my collection, Thanks Tony
Richard

TonyMiller
7th July 2014, 02:44 PM
Cheers Richard, glad you liked it. As I forgot to scan your version I've uploaded a slightly darker version to the gallery. Thanks again!

And popped though my post box today, a very nice scene of a long row of terraced cottages across a river, nicely taken and beautifully printed, another great addition to my collection, Thanks Tony
Richard

Ian Marsh
8th July 2014, 10:49 AM
mine is now in the post

chisel
8th July 2014, 02:07 PM
Mine went today....

alexmuir
8th July 2014, 04:43 PM
Just home from work to find a very nice print of a woodland landscape from Photomi7ch. Many thanks. It is a square negative beautifully printed on warm FB paper with lots of depth and fine tones. I hope it finds it's way into the Gallery.
Alex

Tom Choate
8th July 2014, 11:39 PM
in the mail today

MikeHeller
9th July 2014, 10:14 AM
Sent mine today :)

And arrived yesterday - not one but two very different prints as Martin couldn't decide which to send. He has chosen the wrong person for making this type of decision. Give me the option of doing a) or b), I usually end of up doing neither.

One is of a street scene with three people that is a real comment on modern life, involving mobile phones and/or small digital cameras.

The other is of a pair of pumps (of the shoe variety) ?abandoned? in anonymous surroundings in a large building.

One of things that I like about this exchange is that I get prints of subjects or treatment that I wouldn't normally consider. Further, for me, the context of a photo can be as important as the content. This is so for both the prints and covering notes Martin sent.

I am, therefore, not going to make a choice (whew!!) but both will be given equal space in my growing collection.
Thanks, Mike

Richard Gould
9th July 2014, 12:03 PM
mine is in the post
Richard

vincent
9th July 2014, 12:29 PM
Posted this morning.

Hi Michael, I received your print this morning and many thanks for it and of course more thanks for the extra print that you included. To appreciate the real beauty of your main print I feel that it has to be held in the hand. I love the detail you have captured including the sunlit front wall. Your sky and clouds are also beautifully rendered. I'm very fond of Art300 myself although it can be difficult to scan at times. Never the less I hope you do post a copy of your print in the gallery. Your blue toning of the other house gives the house real impact and lifts it right out of the print.

Martin Erdner
9th July 2014, 01:06 PM
And arrived yesterday - not one but two very different prints as Martin couldn't decide which to send. He has chosen the wrong person for making this type of decision. [...]

And so it's up to me again ;)

Firstly: Many thanks Mike for you kind words and comments, here and via pm!

In the end, I will put the street scene into the exchange gallery, the calmer one will go into my fadu album. In the past exchanges I had quite often 'still life', time to give 'people' a boost...

Thanks again, Mike!

Michael
9th July 2014, 06:52 PM
Vincent, you're very kind and thank you very much. I forgot to scan your print before sending it; so I'll just upload a scan of another print made on Kentmere paper. It has a nasty dot in the sky (dust in the printing frame, oh dear) and the contrast is a bit softer than in the actual print or in yours.

This was a jump into the dark and I'm relieved that you like the print.

MikeHeller
10th July 2014, 02:52 PM
My offering is in the post.
Thanks, Mike

skellum
11th July 2014, 12:02 PM
Out in the post today.

BobRob
11th July 2014, 04:09 PM
Posted my print today

bobrob

skellum
12th July 2014, 11:01 PM
Received today, a print from Mike Heller.
This is one of the things I love about the print exchange- on a previous round I sent one to Mike. I have no idea how Tony keeps track of this stuff, but thanks!
Mike's print is a detail of a wrought iron gate, shot on Delta 100 in a Hasselblad. Simple, bitingly sharp, full of texture in the iron-work.
Mike has taken a decision to crop the 6x6 image into rectangle. Really spot on exposure, Mike- detail in the black iron and the much brighter background. The well controlled DoF separates the gate and background really well, and is a case of playing to the strengths of medium format.
The print is on kentmere RC paper.. Pretty neutral tone.

photomi7ch
13th July 2014, 06:29 PM
Mine posted later today.

Confirming Print was sent on 7th July from local post office.

photomi7ch
14th July 2014, 08:11 AM
Just home from work to find a very nice print of a woodland landscape from Photomi7ch. Many thanks. It is a square negative beautifully printed on warm FB paper with lots of depth and fine tones. I hope it finds it's way into the Gallery.
Alex

Thank you Alex, I appreciate the comment. It was specially printed, you and one other are the only ones that have a copy. It was also the last of that make of warmtone paper.

The print will be posted to the gallery once I have re-sized it to fit.

alexmuir
14th July 2014, 09:59 AM
I have posted my print this morning.
Alex

Derek Lincoln
14th July 2014, 10:19 AM
In the post this morning.

BobRob
14th July 2014, 03:54 PM
Received my print from Tom Choate today
an atmospheric view of Fraser dam in Boone county, Iowa
many thanks Tom.PM sent

bobrob

TonyMiller
15th July 2014, 04:24 PM
In the post this morning.

Received from Derek this morning. A fine print of an abandoned farmhouse in North Wales. Particularly like the framing of the working farm through the rear doorway. Works very well.

Thanks Derek.

vincent
15th July 2014, 04:48 PM
Mine went in the post this afternoon.

Michael
15th July 2014, 09:52 PM
We had postal holidays Saturday and yesterday; but BobRob's print arrived here today. It's a very well conceived image of three eggs, almost symmetrical in composition; and it works very well as either an abstract or as a study in light and graduated shadow. I hope the scan will do it justice.

Thank you, Bob

chisel
16th July 2014, 07:18 PM
mine is now in the post

And landed here safely yesterday!

Ian has sent on a headshot of a fella in medieval headdress - like a knight of old. The level of detail on the chainmail and print quality is really excellent. The print is on Kentmere VC select fine lustre - now one of my favourite papers after receiving a print on it from a previous round.

A lovely print Ian, thank you very much!

Fran

Paul Glover
19th July 2014, 02:35 PM
Received not one but two prints from Richard Gould, one of some Jersey Militia re-enactors in an "off duty" moment, the other a bonus print of some barrels of apple juice which are well on their way to becoming cider (mmmm...cider...)

Both are interesting prints which will be fine additions to my little collection!

My print offering will be going out Monday.

Richard Gould
20th July 2014, 06:17 PM
Thanks Paul, Glad you enjoyed them
Richard

Domingo
21st July 2014, 12:53 PM
Mine is today in the mail.

andreios
21st July 2014, 01:16 PM
Mine is finally ready to be posted, I hope to catch the post office still open when I get from work..

Paul Glover
21st July 2014, 06:49 PM
Mine went in the mail today.

Tom Choate
22nd July 2014, 01:26 AM
Received print today from Vincent Brady titled "Summer Days". A very nice print on glossy fibre . The wide border adds a depth to the scene. Days of my youth were brought back to my memories from the tire swing. Thank you Vincent .

Domingo
22nd July 2014, 05:14 PM
Mine went today....

and just received!

A terrrrific and dramatic print from the west coast of Ireland; both my two kids said «woooooow!!!» unisonally when saw the image. And yes, I also like very much this Kentemere Fine Lustre paper I did not know.

Thanks very much for the handwritten letter. Thanks very much for your photograph.

Ian Marsh
24th July 2014, 12:17 PM
Out in the post today.

Received yesterday, not just a print, but a package!

Skellum has beeb busy and experimenting with 3D and has sent me 4 double (stereo) images to be viewed with a 3D viewer (that was also kindly provided in the parcel) the images are sperbly printed and I would have ben delighted to receive any one of them, A real treat for me this month

Thank you

Derek Lincoln
24th July 2014, 12:54 PM
Mine is finally ready to be posted, I hope to catch the post office still open when I get from work..

And received this morning. A fine print of a cyclist taking a break. The high contrast negative has been handled very well Andrej. Thank you.

Derek

andreios
25th July 2014, 08:50 AM
And received this morning. A fine print of a cyclist taking a break. The high contrast negative has been handled very well Andrej. Thank you.

Derek

That was quick... Thanks for your kind words.
A.

Tony Marlow
27th July 2014, 07:09 AM
Just a reminder, all prints for Round 63 should be in the post by Thursday; there are still six to be sent.

Tony

skellum
27th July 2014, 11:51 AM
Would be nice to see more of these photographs in the gallery.

hastingsb
28th July 2014, 09:34 AM
Have posted mine this morning

chisel
28th July 2014, 11:13 AM
I added mine to the gallery there now - apologies for the delays!

Glad you liked it Domingo!

Fran

Bill
29th July 2014, 11:02 AM
My print is in the post.

Bill

Bill
29th July 2014, 11:06 AM
Mine is today in the mail.

Received this morning.

Domingo has put a lot of thought and research into his shot noting my past profession and looking for a suitable image. Very thoughtful attitude and one that shows he shoots specifically for the Exchange.

The shot is of children jumping into a dock from a jetty. One feature that may not have caught Domingo's attention (or maybe it did) is that a boat on the LHS has just 2 letters of the name showing and they are GO. Very suited to the activity and the shot.

Nice one Domingo and another good print for my collection.

Thanks

Bill

Domingo
29th July 2014, 05:26 PM
[...]
The shot is of children jumping into a dock from a jetty. One feature that may not have caught Domingo's attention (or maybe it did) is that a boat on the LHS has just 2 letters of the name showing and they are GO. Very suited to the activity and the shot.
[...]

Yes, the crop to show the letters «GO» was fully intentioned! Very attentive on your side.

Thanks very much for your kind words.

My photo has been uploaded to the gallery.

ymgandy
29th July 2014, 08:40 PM
Posted mine offering today.

SimonNOTTS
30th July 2014, 02:04 PM
Mine has gone today express, super fast, snail mail!

Terry S
30th July 2014, 03:41 PM
Mine went in the post today = Wednesday 30/07/14.

Terry S

alexmuir
30th July 2014, 05:36 PM
Would be nice to see more of these photographs in the gallery.

My print is now in the Gallery.

Alex.

SimonNOTTS
30th July 2014, 09:21 PM
I have posted my print this morning.
Alex

And received Alex, thank you. Apologies for the delayed reply, I've been away for a few weeks and it was a nice surprise to find something other than a bill or circular on the door matt!

The print is of a wind swept tree on the southern tip of the isle of arran. Infrared film has given it some great contrast and hopefully that translates on the computer monitor.

Thanks for sending Alex and hope you didn't think it had got lost. Simon

alexmuir
30th July 2014, 09:42 PM
Cheers, Simon. I'm glad you liked it.

Alex

Martin Erdner
31st July 2014, 12:16 PM
Posted mine offering today.

And received today!

A beautiful print on Ilford Warmtone fibre, which supports the scene nicely: House wall (including a lot of repaired plaster), empty seat, small tree, metal-grilled door, reel for the garden hose... it looks like a rural area (in Portugal), a scene for contemplation as well as enjoying the composition. I like it a lot! Thank you!

Pretty sure I will come around scanning it today and do the few editing parts (like de-dusting - flatbed scanners a dust magnets -, scaling it to the proper size for the gallery,...). Again, thank you, ymgandy, for this beautiful print!

PS: Delta 100 (35mm) developed in Prescysol - there is no grain at all. In case one can see grain on the scan, it's my fault. ;)

hastingsb
31st July 2014, 10:28 PM
My print is in the post.

Bill

Got it today after I came back from a few days camping. A nice woodland scene strangely littered with abandoned millstones. I will hang it on my wall proudly. Thanks Bill. Please do put it in the gallery

Graeme
1st August 2014, 11:05 AM
Posted mine today.

andreios
1st August 2014, 03:21 PM
Mine went in the post today = Wednesday 30/07/14.

Terry S
Arrived today - a nice lith print, although I have no idea what the subject is. :)
Thanks anyway!

ymgandy
2nd August 2014, 09:08 AM
Mine has gone today express, super fast, snail mail!

Arrived safely today. An action shot with the anticipated action frozen. I do like the intense expressions of the Matador & the total concentration of the crowd. Caught at the peak of the action. A very warm print that captures, I think, what was probably the temperature of the time. I have enjoyed your print & will continue to do so, thank you.

SimonNOTTS
2nd August 2014, 10:30 AM
Arrived safely today. An action shot with the anticipated action frozen. I do like the intense expressions of the Matador & the total concentration of the crowd. Caught at the peak of the action. A very warm print that captures, I think, what was probably the temperature of the time. I have enjoyed your print & will continue to do so, thank you.

Thanks! Glad it got there. I'll pop it in the gallery. Happy snapping! Si

Bill
2nd August 2014, 10:44 AM
Please do put it in the gallery

Thanks Ben. Image now in the gallery.

Bill

photomi7ch
3rd August 2014, 12:15 PM
Thank you Graeme, for your the wonderful portrait of your friend I like the slight graininess it has to it.
It arrived yesterday safe and sound. :)

Terry S
4th August 2014, 11:48 AM
Arrived today - a nice lith print, although I have no idea what the subject is. :)
Thanks anyway!

Thanks for the comments Andreios, but I had to laugh loudly when you said that you didn't know what the subject was... until I showed my partner who then said the same!!! And there was me thinking that I mentioned the subject in the letter to you, but just checking, I didn't! I blame the heat we're having. :)

Anyway to put you and others looking at it in the gallery out of your misery, it is a a toy gun and toy bullet that I found in the back garden when digging some soil over to grow vegetables.

As stated, I will put it in the gallery directly after sending this reply.

Terry S

Terry S
4th August 2014, 12:28 PM
My print offering will be going out Monday.

Paul's print has finally arrived, although as he sent it JUST in an envelope with no board backing, it has arrived folded and crinkled. :(

It's a real shame, as Paul stated that it was one of his favourite prints to date and I can see why.

It's one of those scenes that we all probably pass on a regular basis and it's only when the light comes together, that we realise what a great picture it would make, so luckily for Paul he had his camera with him.

The picture is very atmospheric with it's brooding clouds and has a really good range of tones.

Many thanks for the picture Paul, but PLEASE do consider putting a bit of stiff card in with future offerings.

Terry S

Graeme
7th August 2014, 06:50 AM
Have posted mine this morning

Received last week Ben, sorry for delay in responding, having a good ponder about it, stick it in the gallery. Many thanks.

Paul Glover
7th August 2014, 05:35 PM
Paul's print has finally arrived, although as he sent it JUST in an envelope with no board backing, it has arrived folded and crinkled. :(
Many thanks for the picture Paul, but PLEASE do consider putting a bit of stiff card in with future offerings.

Terry S

Ugh...lesson learned, and my apologies for the damaged goods.

Card backing or other suitable protection in place from now on. I'll go ahead and send a replacement out in the near future (wanting to try this print on some nice FB paper anyway...)

Terry S
8th August 2014, 12:04 PM
No apologies required really Paul. I just think that you have been really lucky so far with the postal service not folding your offerings.

I don't know about cost from the USA, but sending our pictures over-broad from the UK is done in weight brackets, so it costs the same both with or without a cardboard backing in the envelope.

But on the other hand it would be great to receive a new print in the future, and an FB one at that! :)

Many thanks in advance.

Terry S

Paul Glover
12th August 2014, 03:55 PM
No apologies required really Paul. I just think that you have been really lucky so far with the postal service not folding your offerings.

I don't know about cost from the USA, but sending our pictures over-broad from the UK is done in weight brackets, so it costs the same both with or without a cardboard backing in the envelope.

But on the other hand it would be great to receive a new print in the future, and an FB one at that! :)

Many thanks in advance.

Terry S

I too suspect I've been lucky and that my luck finally ran out. A few rounds ago when my mail to Vincent got delayed a couple of weeks was probably the universe politely coughing and saying "um...excuse me...hello?"!

It adds a bit to the cost here because a cardboard backed envelope is "non-machinable" (this also applies to domestic mail). But it's not a large amount extra, and saving a couple of dollars only to have the print ruined anyway, well, as the saying goes... penny wise, pound foolish.

Have some darkroom time planned out for tonight and a new 25-sheet pack of Adox MCC 110 I'm dying to try out. With some luck my plans for the evening don't go awry and I finish up with a couple of nice prints!

Terry S
27th September 2014, 10:59 AM
Hi Paul,

your second print to replace the one that got damaged in the mail has just arrived. :) It's a great print, with a full range of tones in it.

Interestingly, like you, I have recently purchased a box (of smaller format than you) of Adox paper. Mine is RC compared to your FB, but I to was very impressed with the look of my first prints with it.

Many thanks once more Paul, the second print is REALLY appreciated. :)

Terry S

Paul Glover
1st October 2014, 10:00 PM
Glad it got there intact. Took me a while to get it out, for various reasons it sat for a couple of weeks before I could even get to the post office!

The Adox paper is lovely stuff. I was surprised how closely the tonality matched my original final work print on the MGIV RC too.