PDA

View Full Version : are amazon taking the wee wee

big paul
30th May 2014, 11:07 PM
amazon has been granted exclusive us patent for photographing against a white background .......with certain caveat's

www.essexcockney.com

Rob Hale
31st May 2014, 04:40 AM
Hi Paul,

Who has or thinks they have granted Amazon this patent ?

Regards

Rob

Argentum
31st May 2014, 04:48 AM
http://www.theregister.co.uk/Print/2014/05/09/amazon_granted_patent_for_taking_photos_against_a_ white_background/

only in america as they say...

and we all know what amazon can do

So any seller listing a product on amazon for sale with a white background has to pay amazon for the photo since its breached amazons patent. And probably pay for every "impression" the photo makes to potential buyers. i.e. they're proabably going to screw their sellers for advertising.

Ian Marsh
31st May 2014, 07:27 AM
Look for plenty of "its not white, its a really really light grey" type arguments ;)

photomi7ch
31st May 2014, 07:39 AM
Look for plenty of "its not white, its a really really light grey" type arguments ;)

:):):):)

Steve Smith
31st May 2014, 08:02 AM
It would only need one challenge from someone who has used the technique before and the patent would be rendered invalid.

If Amazon were to pursue anyone for a patent infringement, it would be laughed out of court.

Steve.

JOReynolds
31st May 2014, 09:31 AM
It would only need one challenge from someone who has used the technique before and the patent would be rendered invalid. If Amazon were to pursue anyone for a patent infringement, it would be laughed out of court.
Steve.
You're quite right, Steve. Although US and European patent law varies, the phrase 'Prior Art' is often used, meaning that the novelty claimed has been used before. One cannot patent the wheel, for instance, and not because it has already been patented.
Amazon are not to blame for this cock-up - they simply exploit a weakness. I have two cousins working quite independently in Intellectual Property law and both complain of the apparent lack of professionalism among staff at the US Patent Office - they seem to show a lack of knowledge in their supposed area of expertise. And, in this case, a lack of common sense.

Argentum
31st May 2014, 10:25 AM
they are not patenting anything which is theirs to patent. Not their idea. They aren't photographers. It's a simple attempt at trying to claim ownership of something that can't possibly be theirs. Of course its their fault. They instigated it, probably in the knowledge that the US patent office will patent anything.
Hopefully it'll be chucked out by all other countries if they try to take out a worldwide patent.

Keith Cocker
31st May 2014, 10:32 AM
Amazon ALWAYS attempt to take the "wee wee". Its not easy these days but I try to avoid using them.

TonyMiller
31st May 2014, 03:00 PM
Same here - can't stand the way they run any part of their business. Where possible I buy direct from the manufacturer/ publisher these days - even if it costs me a bit more.

Amazon ALWAYS attempt to take the "wee wee". Its not easy these days but I try to avoid using them.