PDA

View Full Version : E6 Major Mess

CambsIan
9th June 2014, 09:14 PM
Hi Guys,

Just developed 3 rolls of E6 and dropped a major clanger, it would appear that all three films are contaminated with lime scale.

It looks like the water that I used to either mix the stabilizer or the rinse water was contaminated with small flakes of lime scale which have now stuck in the emulsion.

Is there any way that I can remove these flecks ?

Maybe Give them another rinse ?

The slides developed really well, and if they did not have these blasted flecks ingrained in them I would be happy with the results.

Anybody got any ideas ?

Ian

Lostlabours
9th June 2014, 10:14 PM
Needs some thought there's a few simple chemicals which will dissolve lime scale, like acetic acid but it hay effect the colour dyes.

I've noticed that the water in my new house is particularly bad, a plumber I've used in the past told me that the bore hole that serves the area is particularly hard and causes a lot of issues. My old house and my mothers half a mile away use a different source.

Your problem is the deposits dried into the emulsion so may not simply wash off.

Ian

RonanP
10th June 2014, 07:38 PM
I would have thought that it would be worth rinsing the film and then stabilising. You could even try 'sponging' the film, gently wiping the emulsion with wet cotton wool.

Brian

CambsIan
14th June 2014, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the replies, have tried another rinse and stabilise, has removed some of the flakes, but not all, 'fraid to say another one to chalk up to experience.

Have now got a Paterson filter funnel, so hopefully that should help in the future.

Ian

hectorpaljr
20th July 2014, 03:00 PM
I would re-wet rinse again, on the spiral . Give them a good rinse. (use wetting agent)
Do not use any acid of any sort and do not try wiping.
Filtering the water is a good idea for the future , but are you sure it was not precipitation in one of the chemicals rather than the water.?
We used to artificially harden the water for E3 and E6 processing when I was in Birmingham , so I'm surprised to hear of limescale deposits