PDA

View Full Version : Print Exchange Round 64 August

Tony Marlow
17th July 2014, 02:18 PM
It’s time to time to think about Round 64. All those who want to participate please post here and send me a PM to confirm your address.
Closing date for registering your entry is 31st July 2014. Latest date for sending your print is 31st August 2014. I am only looking for one print in a month; there is plenty of room on my spreadsheet for all your entries so no one needs to hold back.

Print Exchange Rules
To start with you will have the remainder of this month to sign up, the cut-off being the last day of the month. If you wish to be included then make a post on this thread to that effect, and at the same time send me a PM with your name, and address.
Head the PM with the title “FADU Print Exchange Round”, and add the round number
At the beginning of next month those that have given me their details will be provided with the name and address of one other member to whom you will be expected to send your print before the end of the month.

You will not be told who has been asked to send you a print, so that it remains a surprise until you receive it. When you send your print please post to that effect on this thread, but do not say to whom you have sent it. We like to maintain the element of surprise until the last moment. When you receive a print please post to that effect on this thread, you may say who it is from and comment on it if you wish.

Anyone failing to send out their print without good reason will be excluded from future events. If you run into difficulty in this respect then please let me know.
If you wish to participate then confirm your intention on this thread and also send me a PM with your name and address.

The selection process will be as random as possible, and I will try and ensure that you receive a print from a different person in each round although eventually there will be some repetition.

Rules
• Your print must have been printed from a negative exposed in a film camera
• Inkjet, digitally printed photographs, or computer manipulated images are not allowed
• Your print paper can be any size that will fit in an envelope up to A4 size
• The image may be any size or format
• Paper type and finish is your choice, as is the subject
• Alternative processes, toning or other treatments are all accepted
• It is recommended you provide some background information with your print to assist your recipient as this encourages interchange
• Don‟t forget to enclose your details and FADU name so your recipient can thank you
• You are only responsible for the cost of posting your own print
• Please ensure you dispatch your print within the round month
• You must enjoy the experience
• If you have any queries or problems -please contact me as soon as possible.
Tony

paulc
17th July 2014, 02:19 PM
Even number, I'm in.

Terry S
18th July 2014, 11:43 AM
And again please.

Terry S

alexmuir
18th July 2014, 11:49 AM
I'm in again. Thanks,

Alex

Richard Gould
18th July 2014, 01:53 PM
I'M up for another round,please Tony
Richard

TonyMiller
18th July 2014, 02:11 PM
Yes please Tony.

RichardWarom
19th July 2014, 06:17 AM
Having just finished converting part of the garage for my new darkroom I'm ready to join in again so put me on the list please Tony.
Richard

Bill
19th July 2014, 07:33 AM
I'm in again please Tony.

Bill

Paul Glover
19th July 2014, 02:37 PM
Count me in please!

photomi7ch
19th July 2014, 03:09 PM
I would like to take part again

Martin Erdner
19th July 2014, 06:06 PM
I'm in again - thanks Tony :)

Derek Lincoln
21st July 2014, 01:41 PM
Yes please Tony.

Derek

MikeHeller
23rd July 2014, 05:43 PM
Yes, please. Count me in.
Thanks, Mike

vincent
27th July 2014, 10:07 AM
I'm in again please Tony.

skellum
27th July 2014, 11:40 AM
I'd like to be in for this round too please, Tony.

chisel
27th July 2014, 02:02 PM
me too please!

BobRob
27th July 2014, 10:48 PM
yes please Tony

Bobrob.

Michael
28th July 2014, 10:04 AM
Please include me again, Tony

ymgandy
28th July 2014, 10:22 AM
Yes please Tony.

SimonNOTTS
30th July 2014, 02:26 PM
can you add me please tony, thanks, simon

Tony Marlow
31st July 2014, 08:43 AM
The list for Round 64 closes tomorrow morning, anyone wishing to join and has not already done so please let me know by then. Those who have joined are listed below. If I have missed anybody please let me know immediately.

paulc
TerryS
alexmuir
Richard Gould
Tony Miller
RichardWarom
Bill
Paul Glover
photomi7ch
Martin Erdner
Derek Lincoln
MikeHeller
skellum
vincent
chisel
BobRob
Michael
ymgandy
SimonNOTTS

Tony

Tony Marlow
1st August 2014, 11:52 AM
The list for Round 64 is now closed, those who have joined are as listed in the previous post above.

Tony

Derek Lincoln
4th August 2014, 10:14 AM
In the post today Tony.

Derek

paulc
4th August 2014, 11:15 AM
My contribution will also be heading off to distant lands this afternoon.

Michael
5th August 2014, 09:31 AM
Sent this morning. Remembered to scan this time; though I don't much like the scan.

MikeHeller
5th August 2014, 01:55 PM
My contribution will also be heading off to distant lands this afternoon.

Arrived in God's Own Country today.
A very atmospheric print of a pillar of rock in old mine workings in the Lake District taken under very difficult lighting conditions. Eerie!!
Thanks, Mike

TonyMiller
5th August 2014, 03:43 PM
Mine went off post-haste this morning!

ymgandy
7th August 2014, 08:47 AM
Sent this morning. Remembered to scan this time; though I don't much like the scan.

Received 7/8/14. A lovely contact print from a 7x5 negative onto Ilford MG Art 300 paper. Fine detail & a very pleasing rural scene along with full process facts. Thank you Michael.

Michael
7th August 2014, 01:18 PM
I'm glad you like it - will post the disappointing scan later (on kindle right now). The paper's texture defeats the scanner.

Michael
7th August 2014, 02:25 PM
Sorry - forget about my scan. Despite its being only 1.62 MB, I'm told it exceeds the filesize limit (tried twice). Anyway, the scan isn't great.

Paul Glover
7th August 2014, 05:36 PM
Sent mine off this morning (yay, no last minute rush to the post office this month!) WITH better packaging than last month's.

Michael
9th August 2014, 09:40 PM
As I can't read instructions, no wonder my first scan upload gave me problems. The scan is now in the gallery and I'm contrite.

chisel
10th August 2014, 12:05 PM
Mine went off post-haste this morning!

And landed here safely on Friday!

A really well timed shot of a woman lighting up as she walks past a closed cinema - love the contrast level in this print Tony, its just perfect.

Thanks for the lovely addition to my collection!

Fran

TonyMiller
10th August 2014, 02:01 PM
Glad you liked it Fran - uploading now to the gallery!

And landed here safely on Friday!

A really well timed shot of a woman lighting up as she walks past a closed cinema - love the contrast level in this print Tony, its just perfect.

Thanks for the lovely addition to my collection!

Fran

alexmuir
11th August 2014, 12:09 PM
Posted mine today.
Alex

ymgandy
11th August 2014, 02:10 PM
I'm glad you like it - will post the disappointing scan later (on kindle right now). The paper's texture defeats the scanner.

I think you are right, any textured paper does not seem to give a good scan, perhaps something to bear in mind for the print exchange rounds..

Paul Glover
12th August 2014, 03:58 PM
In the post today Tony.

Derek

Arrived yesterday, a very nicely executed print of an abandoned car in the south of France which as Derek put it "looked as though it was trying to get back on the road to get away".

Thanks! Another lovely print for the little collection! :)

TonyMiller
12th August 2014, 07:02 PM
Hi Alex, thanks for your excellent print which arrived today. A simple still-life study of three apples which is very nicely lit. I especially like how you used a couple of different types of apple to create variation in the composition.
The print is of exceptional quality, especially those deep blacks!

Thanks again Alex.

Posted mine today.
Alex

alexmuir
12th August 2014, 08:00 PM
Hi Alex, thanks for your excellent print which arrived today. A simple still-life study of three apples which is very nicely lit. I especially like how you used a couple of different types of apple to create variation in the composition.

The print is of exceptional quality, especially those deep blacks!

Thanks again Alex.

Thanks for your kind words, Tony. I'm glad you like the print. I will post it to the Gallery this evening.
Alex

chisel
12th August 2014, 09:11 PM
Posted mine today....

RichardWarom
13th August 2014, 12:27 PM
Mines posted today.

vincent
13th August 2014, 06:20 PM
I posted mine today.

Richard Gould
14th August 2014, 08:07 AM
Just got back from posting mine
Richard

ymgandy
14th August 2014, 08:39 AM
Posted mine offering yesterday, 13/8/14.

Martin Erdner
14th August 2014, 10:39 AM
Sent mine today :)

alexmuir
14th August 2014, 05:16 PM
Mines posted today.

And arrived safely. Many thanks Richard for a fine print of a scene from the garden of a stately home near Macclesfield. The picture is well composed with a tranquil stream leading to an ornate summer house. The print has great detail and and a full tonal range. Please post it to the Gallery.
Alex

RichardWarom
15th August 2014, 05:09 AM
Thanks for your kind comments Alex.
Richard

skellum
15th August 2014, 07:14 AM
Came yesterday, from ymgandy, a really nice print of 'Robin Hood Bay'.
Taken with a fixed lens Hexar, contre-jour and sweetly printed. There's detail in a nearly black roof, but also iin the bright sky. A very open, luminous print. A really good demonstration to those of us who keep edging up into bigger formats of just why 35mm ruled the world for a long time.
Andrew, going out to work now but I will have this in the gallery for tomorrow morning. Thanks!

ymgandy
15th August 2014, 08:53 AM
Came yesterday, from ymgandy, a really nice print of 'Robin Hood Bay'.
Taken with a fixed lens Hexar, contre-jour and sweetly printed. There's detail in a nearly black roof, but also iin the bright sky. A very open, luminous print. A really good demonstration to those of us who keep edging up into bigger formats of just why 35mm ruled the world for a long time.
Andrew, going out to work now but I will have this in the gallery for tomorrow morning. Thanks!

Thank you for your kind words. I am also surprised how quick it got to you, takes longer than than for local post. Thank you also for your offer to post in the gallery.

paulc
15th August 2014, 11:25 AM
Posted mine today....

.... in an envelope that has crossed the Irish Sea at least twice now in its lifetime :p

Thanks.

MikeHeller
15th August 2014, 11:40 AM
My offering is in the post.
Mike

Richard Gould
15th August 2014, 01:52 PM
Sent mine off this morning (yay, no last minute rush to the post office this month!) WITH better packaging than last month's.
And was waiting for me when I got home today, a very nice photo of a statue of a women releasing a dove, taken from a low angle, and nicely printed, another nice addition to my growing collection, Thanks Paul]
Richard

skellum
16th August 2014, 06:23 AM
Ymgandy's print now in the gallery. Since I scanned and posted for him it appears under my name. I wonder if one of our fine and hard working moderators could work some pixie magic to re-label it for Andrew ???

Bill
16th August 2014, 07:27 AM
Ymgandy's print now in the gallery. Since I scanned and posted for him it appears under my name. I wonder if one of our fine and hard working moderators could work some pixie magic to re-label it for Andrew ???

Owner now changed.

Bill

skellum
16th August 2014, 07:30 AM
Thank you Bill.
And so prompt!!

Bill
18th August 2014, 12:45 PM
My offering is in the post.
Mike

Not any longer, as I received it today.

A shot of some slate building ruins in Moel Tryfan Quarry near to where Mike lives. In his comprehensive notes he says it was difficult to print to get the right balance compositionally and tonally. Quite a bit of work carried out and a finish with Selenium Toner.

The result is an excellent print with a good range of various shades of grey in the slates. Well worth making the effort Mike.

Another good print for the growing collection. Please post it in the gallery for other to see.

Bill

BobRob
18th August 2014, 03:43 PM
Received a print from Martin this afternoon,An image of three simple parts each on their own of no importance but composed into an interesting & moody view.

Further enhanced by quality printing.

thank you Martin

photomi7ch
18th August 2014, 06:38 PM
Picture posted to day.

Martin Erdner
18th August 2014, 07:03 PM
Received a print from Martin this afternoon, [...]

Thank you very much for your kind words and comments here and via pm! I am really glad, that you like the print :) Thanks again!

PS: scan posted in the relevant gallery

skellum
18th August 2014, 09:29 PM
Print posted today (at last . . .)

Terry S
19th August 2014, 12:23 PM
I posted mine today.

And now received = Tuesday 19 August 2014, Vincent. Many thanks. :)

Vincent has kindly sent to me a print taken on Kodak HIE B&W Infrared film. The print has then been made on Ilford MGIV FB paper.

It is a shot of mostly foliage, with what I believe to be ornamental rhubarb plants at the front, with a good selection of various trees behind, with a lovely dark sky with a few small white clouds. A good mix of grainy tones = just what you would expect to see on a good IR print.

It brings back memories when I had a go some time ago now, with some IR film.

All I can now say is that it is well printed and was also well protected in the post by using a card backed envelope as well as two sides of a cereal packet.

A great addition to my ever expanding book of prints from the exchanges, so thanks again Vincent.

Terry S

vincent
19th August 2014, 04:53 PM
And now received = Tuesday 19 August 2014, Vincent. Many thanks. :)

Vincent has kindly sent to me a print taken on Kodak HIE B&W Infrared film. The print has then been made on Ilford MGIV FB paper.

It is a shot of mostly foliage, with what I believe to be ornamental rhubarb plants at the front, with a good selection of various trees behind, with a lovely dark sky with a few small white clouds. A good mix of grainy tones = just what you would expect to see on a good IR print.

It brings back memories when I had a go some time ago now, with some IR film.

All I can now say is that it is well printed and was also well protected in the post by using a card backed envelope as well as two sides of a cereal packet.

A great addition to my ever expanding book of prints from the exchanges, so thanks again Vincent.

Terry S

That's good to hear Terry and glad you like it. I got the idea for using the folded cereal box from another member when I open his print.

Martin Erdner
20th August 2014, 10:59 AM
Just got back from posting mine
Richard

And here there are, two lovely prints from Jersey. 'Behind Bars' features a sort of grim gnome (not sure if the statue should be one, just using it for the alliteration...) sitting behind a barred window, a hefty wall, ivy on top. But there is one point: Is he or are we (am I) behind the wall? Who is visitor, who is inmate? The grim look could be a curious one, maybe on the other side of the wall there is a sign 'Don't feed the animals'... And the idea of a zoo might be the nicest variation of all the gothic and gory possibilities ;) (yes, too many Hammer movies in my childhood...)

The second print is a still life from the Hamptone country life museum and I am especially happy about this bonus. I admire for example this print
http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/album.php?albumid=412&pictureid=3301
from Richards Hamptone series a lot and it's a great joy to have 'the real thing' in my hands. An arrangement of water jugs in the washhouse, subtle tones, available light, various forms, lines and curves to follow... Thank you, Richard!

Ah, the technical details, I guess, Richard will provide them with the gallery posting anyway, so I am trying not to babble too much: Fomapan 400 and Rodinal, I really have to try that. Of course Richard has MF on his side, while I am on 35mm... The image quality of the Ensign Autorange 220 (Ensar lens) is impressive. Pre-war edition?

Again, thank you for both prints :)

Richard Gould
20th August 2014, 12:29 PM
And here there are, two lovely prints from Jersey. 'Behind Bars' features a sort of grim gnome (not sure if the statue should be one, just using it for the alliteration...) sitting behind a barred window, a hefty wall, ivy on top. But there is one point: Is he or are we (am I) behind the wall? Who is visitor, who is inmate? The grim look could be a curious one, maybe on the other side of the wall there is a sign 'Don't feed the animals'... And the idea of a zoo might be the nicest variation of all the gothic and gory possibilities ;) (yes, too many Hammer movies in my childhood...)

The second print is a still life from the Hamptone country life museum and I am especially happy about this bonus. I admire for example this print
http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/album.php?albumid=412&pictureid=3301
from Richards Hamptone series a lot and it's a great joy to have 'the real thing' in my hands. An arrangement of water jugs in the washhouse, subtle tones, available light, various forms, lines and curves to follow... Thank you, Richard!

Ah, the technical details, I guess, Richard will provide them with the gallery posting anyway, so I am trying not to babble too much: Fomapan 400 and Rodinal, I really have to try that. Of course Richard has MF on his side, while I am on 35mm... The image quality of the Ensign Autorange 220 (Ensar lens) is impressive. Pre-war edition?

Again, thank you for both prints :)

Thanks for the kind words, Martin, glad you are enjoying the photos, as for the Ensign, no, it's post war, around 1949, the pre war autoranges used Prontor shutters, but they used the Episilon shutters post war
Richard

vincent
20th August 2014, 01:32 PM
Picture posted to day.

Hi Mitch, I received your print this morning and I like the really strong compositional lines you have incorporated into your shot.I must admit that I have never used Ro9 developer so it is interesting to look at your results. I enjoy browsing around your blog which is nicely laid out.

photomi7ch
21st August 2014, 09:01 AM
Hi Mitch, I received your print this morning and I like the really strong compositional lines you have incorporated into your shot.I must admit that I have never used Ro9 developer so it is interesting to look at your results. I enjoy browsing around your blog which is nicely laid out.

Thank you twice Vincent, the lines are part of what drew to the scene. :)

SimonNOTTS
21st August 2014, 05:29 PM
Print posted today (at last . . .)

And received! Thank you for sending an awesome print of a woodland in sea mist. Beautiful texture and great depth due to the mist. The print has been toned in Agfa Viradon which gives it a great 'woody' feel and colour.

Thanks again for sending and the edges weren't too wrinkly, a lot better than my attempts! Simon

SimonNOTTS
21st August 2014, 05:30 PM
Mine is in the post today

skellum
21st August 2014, 05:41 PM
Hi Simon, glad it arrived safely, and thanks for the comment. I don't think I've ever been credited with an awesome print before :D
I really like the exchanges, and usually try to make something new- sometime, though I have to dip into 'the Archive' for a negative.
I do find it hard to objectively judge how good a new print is, as an image which is immediately eye-catching isn't always the best.
Anyway, I'll stick it in the gallery.
Cheers!

BobRob
24th August 2014, 10:32 AM
Posted mine on Friday
sorry forgot to send this.

Bobrob

photomi7ch
26th August 2014, 06:33 PM
Posted mine on Friday
sorry forgot to send this.

Bobrob

Your print arrived this morning. Wow! Bob what drama and action certainly got the day off to a good start. Superb picture. It also has a very high gloss to the paper that adds to the scene.

Your picture has taken over from Graemes picture which we put on the wall in the study.

Tony Marlow
28th August 2014, 10:19 AM
Just a reminder, all prints for this round should be in the post by this weekend; there are just two which have yet to be sent!!

Tony

Terry S
28th August 2014, 11:32 AM
Ooops! I forgot to update = my print was sent after the Bank Holiday weekend.

Terry S

Derek Lincoln
29th August 2014, 07:56 AM
Ooops! I forgot to update = my print was sent after the Bank Holiday weekend.

Terry S

And was received yesterday Terry. A well composed and exposed print of a father and son taken 30 years ago - eat your heart out digital! As you say Terry these old negatives make you think what the subjects are doing now if they are still alive. Practicas were not bad cameras of their era (I still have one). Once again Terry a very well printed shot.

Derek

Terry S
29th August 2014, 11:12 AM
And was received yesterday... a very well printed shot.
Derek

Many thanks for your comments Derek.

I will be putting it onto the gallery as soon as able.

Terry S

Bill
30th August 2014, 08:39 AM
My print is on its way.

Bill

Michael
1st September 2014, 11:14 AM
Bill's print arrived here this morning. It's Peak District millstones, photographed beautifully on downrated FP4+. There are worked stone, grass and straw, birch trunk and rock textures all well defined; and the tonal range and separation are faultless. Lots of lovely crisp detail which may not show up in the scan. Contrast is spot-on.

Thank you very much, Bill