PDA

View Full Version : Acid fix change to neutral

GoodOldNorm
12th August 2014, 02:56 PM
Hello all, I have a 1kg box of powdered Kodak rapid fix (just add water). I understand this fix is a hardening fix. I wish to use this fix for fibre paper, would it be possible to lower the ph to 7 (neutral) or lower by adding an alkaline chemical?

Miha
12th August 2014, 04:02 PM
Hi Norm! Any good fix is well buffered so you can't easily change its pH, othervise a few developer soaked prints would make it neutral ;) There is no reason an acid fix can't be used for FB. Just wash longer (and use some HCA).

Terry S
13th August 2014, 09:30 AM
And there was me going to suggest something similar... :)

As Miha says, use a hypo clearing agent and give them a longer wash.

Terry S

GoodOldNorm
13th August 2014, 07:57 PM
Hi Norm! Any good fix is well buffered so you can't easily change its pH, othervise a few developer soaked prints would make it neutral ;) There is no reason an acid fix can't be used for FB. Just wash longer (and use some HCA).
Thanks Miha, I shall follow your advice and I shall not mess about with the Kodak fix I have.

Stocky
15th August 2014, 11:50 PM
I reckon you could add some borax or metaborate without risk. Even hydroxide (having regard to warnings about handling!). The problem without some method of testing would be to know how much to add.

If the fixer in its original state is well-buffered, a few prints won't change its pH.