PDA

View Full Version : 5/16 tripod thread....

Xpres
2nd October 2014, 09:32 AM
Anyone have a camera with a 5/16 tripod thread?

I've just got one that appears to be 5/16 and am wondering how I'm going to get it on the tripod. Can you get a reducer to 1/4 like you can from 3/8?

It's a wooden field camera so the other option is to remove the brass thread and either re-machine it or get a replacement. Or perhaps make a new screw for my QR plates. They're manfrotto and I can't find any reference to them being a stock item.

Any opinions and ideas welcome....

paulc
2nd October 2014, 11:31 AM
There wouldn't be enough "meat" on a 5/16" thread to run a 1/4" thread up the inside. By far the easiest thing to do is to make up a 5/16" screw to fit a QR plate. If you get stuck, I have a 5/16x18tpi die, unfortunately UNC, whereas I suspect you should be using BSW.

photomi7ch
2nd October 2014, 11:38 AM
Manfrotto do, do mounting plates with different size screw threads but I do not think they sell the threaded screws buy themselves. Here are some codes that may get you where you want to go 088lbp, 200pl, 357plv.

Alternative is to use a heli coil. It is a replacement thread that screws into the original hole once drilled.

RonanP
2nd October 2014, 06:16 PM
I am a Model Engineer as well as a keen photographer. I have most common thread sizes in dies including 5/16" BSW. I would be happy to make you one if you let me have details of what you want.
Brian

Xpres
2nd October 2014, 09:08 PM
Thank you all for the tips and pointers. It seems you can get the threaded screws as a spare part, but not 5/16.

So Brian that's a fantastic offer, thanks. I use the hexagonal and square type 030 manfrotto plates which you may be familiar with. This is a pic of the 3/8 screw...
http://www.bogentripodparts.com/parts/images/R030.06%20repl%203%208ths%20camera%20screw.jpg

Is that sort of thing possible?

Stocky
3rd October 2014, 01:13 AM
Could you just screw a plate directly onto the base of a wooden view camera with ordinary wood-thread screws? You might have to drill a couple/few holes in the plate. To make it neater you could countersink the holes and use countersink screws.

Xpres
3rd October 2014, 06:53 AM
Could you just screw a plate directly onto the base of a wooden view camera with ordinary wood-thread screws? You might have to drill a couple/few holes in the plate. To make it neater you could countersink the holes and use countersink screws.

You could of course... You can even attach the square plates directly to the camera; the holes are provided. I prefer the non destructive route though as it's a reasonably nice antique camera.

Martin Aislabie
5th October 2014, 09:00 PM
Camera mounting were Whitworths thread-forms (I think)

Whitworth thread-forms were never common - even in the days when imperial was the normal.

I would take RonanP up on his offer - it is unlikely you find another solution to the problem.

Martin

Peltigera
5th October 2014, 09:55 PM
The ISO standard for tripod screws is 1/4 or 3/8 inch UNC class 1A, not Whitworth. Originally, they were Whitworth but they changed some time ago. UNC and Whitworth are near enough that they will fit each other - the 'class 1A' bit means it is a sloppy fit suitable to be tightened by hand.

Lostlabours
6th October 2014, 07:47 AM
Camera mounting were Whitworths thread-forms (I think)

Whitworth thread-forms were never common - even in the days when imperial was the normal.

I would take RonanP up on his offer - it is unlikely you find another solution to the problem.

Martin

Unless you have an old German camera :D

My 18x24 Reisekamera has metric threads for it's two tripod mounts, slightly too large to take 1/4" UNC or Whitworth and not enough brass there to tap out to 3/8 and fit a bush. I wouldn't trust a tripod bush with that weight.

Ian

Xpres
10th October 2014, 05:02 PM
I received a 5/16 threaded screw courtesy of Brian today.:D

I now have my 10x12 on a tripod and ready to play, so am a happy bunny!

Thanks Brian!

http://xpres.smugmug.com/photos/i-Xfch4Sz/0/L/i-Xfch4Sz-L.jpg

RonanP
10th October 2014, 06:05 PM
Great picture, glad to have helped.
Brian

paulc
10th October 2014, 06:06 PM

Is that a Watson & Son camera ?

If so, I'm surprised it doesn't have a plate in the base for a wooden tripod to clip in to like many cameras of the period.

MartyNL
11th October 2014, 06:31 AM
Now that's a proper camera. Looks gorgeous!

Xpres
11th October 2014, 08:34 AM
Is that a Watson & Son camera ?

If so, I'm surprised it doesn't have a plate in the base for a wooden tripod to clip in to like many cameras of the period.

It doesn't have a makers name, just the retailer; city sale and exchange, and dates from 1900. The base is flat with a tripod bush in the middle. It's a fairly standard and simple design for the period. I have another 10x12 which is very similar, although with two tripod bushes, and a whole plate too.

I think the ones with a big hole in the base where intended for the field and so lightweight with many more movements. The 10x12 here shares more with a tailboard camera... perhaps more of a portrait camera.

Steve Smith
13th October 2014, 08:33 AM
I now have my 10x12 on a tripod and ready to play

Does it play the piano too?!!

Steve.

Xpres
13th October 2014, 08:59 AM
does it play the piano too?!!

Steve.

:D

vanannan
15th October 2014, 08:00 PM
Does it play the piano too?!!

Steve.

I remember a story that Graflex used to recycle the wood from discarded pianos to make their cameras.

Argentum
15th October 2014, 08:08 PM
My photography instructor was convined that meopta enlargers were made from recycled steel from 2nd world war tanks.

CambsIan
16th October 2014, 05:56 PM
Don't know about being made from a recycled tank, but mine certainly feels as though it may have been built like one. :)

Ian

Lostlabours
17th October 2014, 07:49 AM
I received a 5/16 threaded screw courtesy of Brian today.:D

Thanks Brian!

http://xpres.smugmug.com/photos/i-Xfch4Sz/0/L/i-Xfch4Sz-L.jpg

I have looked through various adverts for City Sales and Exchange 1890's - 1930's while looking for other things and no mention of a 10x12 camera, however they were a large retailer. Adverts tend to listb the higher selling cameras.

It's not like the Watson field cameras, it can take a lot of time and patience identifying the actual manufacturer, often it's luck.

Ian

Xpres
17th October 2014, 09:11 AM
I don't think I'll ever know who made it... the address on the nameplate puts the date at 1898 - 1902 so I plumped for the middle at 1900.
The interesting thing for me was the way the rise and fall works. The bar you can see above the panel tightens the vertical standards - pulling them together - holding the panel and lens in place. It seems to be effective, although not tested with a heavy lens yet. Perhaps that might give a clue as to the maker as I'd imagine the technique wasn't that common.

paulc
10th January 2015, 09:49 PM

Now that you have a box of film (I'm assuming you snagged a box from Harman over Christmas), how have you solved the problem of supporting the film in the plate holders ?

Xpres
11th January 2015, 06:36 PM
Yes, I did get a box from Harman.... but no, I haven't thought about how to put it in the plate holders. Something more refined than a bit of cardboard box perhaps.
I'm sure many have traveled that path though. I'm thinking some sort of foam or corex board rig.

paulc
11th January 2015, 10:27 PM
The reason I ask is I'm toying with the idea of digging out my mother's half plate camera and having a play with it. I know others have used plates of glass to make up the thickness, but it is fragile. Currently toying with the idea of a material called Dibond (http://www.display.3acomposites.com/en/products/dibond/characteristics.html) with a matt black finish - Fairly lightweight, rigid, and unlikely to break.

Xpres
12th January 2015, 07:56 AM
That looks like the kind of stuff I was thinking of, although it seems a bit more useful than the ordinary card backed foamboard.