PDA

View Full Version : OM4 OM4ti Overexposure.

vanannan
20th October 2014, 09:23 PM
The meter readouts on both my OM4 and OM4ti are showing the correct exposure (checked against my Nikons and Gossen Starlight meters) however the the shutter is staying open for more than 2 stops too long ie OM meters indicate 1/4 sec @ f8 but the shutters open for more than 1 second, I have been scratching my head trying to identify a reason but can think of none other than that there is some sort of fault, any ideas would be much appreciated.

Martin Erdner
20th October 2014, 09:47 PM
But you checked any forms of exposure compensations rings, buttons, whatever? -/+2 EV would a typical maximum of exp comp and sometimes one simply forgets the made change...

Argentum
21st October 2014, 12:55 AM
something getting sticky? Are you sure its not the aperture closedown sticking or linkage to aperture. But then again it could be the shutter sticking. Sounds like it needs a good service.

vanannan
21st October 2014, 07:03 AM
Hi
Sorry , I should have given more information in my original post, all cameras and meter were set at 100asa with no exposure compensation, both Olympus's were tested with two 50mm lenses, the problem only occurs on aperture priority auto exposure where the readout shows the speed which agrees with my other equipment, the shutter timing is fine when on manual:confused:

vanannan
21st October 2014, 07:43 AM
Silly me:o I was testing the OM4's without film, the OM meters from the film plane during exposure, without film camera meters pressure plate (black) hence over exposure, simples:D thanks for ideas.

RH Designs
21st October 2014, 08:39 AM
Automatic OM bodies came with a little piece of card with a similar reflectance as film, especially for testing shutter speeds. Of course, we've all lost them years ago :).

Martin Erdner
21st October 2014, 11:37 AM
Silly me:o I was testing the OM4's without film, the OM meters from the film plane during exposure, without film camera meters pressure plate (black) hence over exposure, simples:D thanks for ideas.

Ah, didn't knew that. Thanks for the heads up, maybe I need that in the future! And congrats for solving the mystery :)