Film and Darkroom User

Film and Darkroom User (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Sale or Wanted (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Wanted Studio Flash equipment (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=13899)

Lostlabours 7th August 2021 07:54 PM

Wanted Studio Flash equipment
 
As per title.

However I'm after high end equipment, Bowens Quadmatic packs. Elinchrom 2002, and equivalent.

Ian

big paul 9th August 2021 12:45 PM

I have also been looking for a Hi power flash or pack ,at the moment I have two 250 watt one 400watt and one 600watt ,I am at the moment looking for 750 watt or 1000watt for shooting very low asa film .

skellum 9th August 2021 01:11 PM

If nobody can help, Ffordes are groaning with lighting kit.

https://www.ffordes.com/c/427/studio-lighting?p=1&q=427

big paul 9th August 2021 07:51 PM

thank for that skellum I did have a look ,but there was nothing I needed there ,the trouble is if you want power 1000watts or more cost a lot of money new , I have notest that the older studio flashes that run of a pack have been slowly going up in price ,but if you look around you can still buy 1200 watts of light for say under 300 pounds ,as apposed to 1000s new I know I am taking a chance ,but I cannot afford to buy new . I hope Lostlabours is having better luck ....

mpirie 9th August 2021 07:51 PM

One word of caution about buying used studio flash......make sure you see the unit working before you buy. It may sound stupidly obvious, but these units have large capacitors in them and if they are not cycled every now and then, the capacitors will fail.

The cost of repair was nearly as much as a replacement when it happened to my Bowens setup.....and of course, parts are getting harder and harder to find nowadays!

Mike

Lostlabours 9th August 2021 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpirie (Post 141165)
One word of caution about buying used studio flash......make sure you see the unit working before you buy. It may sound stupidly obvious, but these units have large capacitors in them and if they are not cycled every now and then, the capacitors will fail.

The cost of repair was nearly as much as a replacement when it happened to my Bowens setup.....and of course, parts are getting harder and harder to find nowadays!

Mike


I just bought a large 7 head Elinchrom kit, so I'm almost sorted :D 5x Elinchom 500 heads 3 listed as working two only the flash but hey they just needed just needed new bulbs. There's a 1000 head but that has no bulb, I think just a two pin Halogen.

Then there's a 101 pack and A2000 head, the tube definitely needs repacing but rerfubished heasds sell for nearly 300.

My first two Elichrom 11 heads are still going strong after 40 years of use, a tube did go in one around two reas after I bought them but things happen. I've not found Bowens kit as reliable and after 3 reairs on my Monmolite 400 just gave up, but by then with the Internet it was cheapper to just get a Monolite 750 second hand, it's been my work horse for years.

We then have to look at what else came in the kit, two Calumet Wireless Transmitters, and 4 Recievers and new that's way over 3100 to buy today,plus a light box and stand

I have hired or borrow more powerful flash packs and heads for commercial shoots. And I'd still hire if needed.
the
Now I've reached a point where I need to sell off flash kit I never use. :D

Ian

Lostlabours 10th August 2021 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big paul (Post 141164)
thank for that skellum I did have a look ,but there was nothing I needed there ,the trouble is if you want power 1000watts or more cost a lot of money new , I have notest that the older studio flashes that run of a pack have been slowly going up in price ,but if you look around you can still buy 1200 watts of light for say under 300 pounds ,as apposed to 1000s new I know I am taking a chance ,but I cannot afford to buy new . I hope Lostlabours is having better luck ....

I missed a Bowen's 800E which went for 9.99, I just forgot I was watching it on eBay :)

I'll get my A2000 head fixed it's most likely just a new tube and probably sell the 101 pack and get a 202 pack so I can get the full 3 kw output.

It's one of those strange ones buying almost a job lot is by far the best way to get bargains. I remember in the days of Bulletin boards going on alt.rec.darkroom and there was a huge collection of kit in Liverpool. everyone asked the seller to split the items, he and the family wouldn't.

The result was I had a near mint Durst M605, and loads of darkroom kit, plus an excellent near mint tripod Bowens BoLoght. Canon EF lenses. 3 colour anaysres , enlarger timers. a car full esentially of inexpected items.

I was even offered an evening meal :D which I reluctanly declined, I'd been working 12 hour days for a month, this was one of my first rolling 8 hour shifts after and I needed to get home to bed :)

I think the girl I bought the Elichrom kit off had essentially done the same and bought a lob lot or perhaps 2, it may all (or at least som,e) be ex BBC (according to one or two of the PAC test stickers0. It seems she used what she had a need for, just 3 500 heads, and the reste were in the way. Her partner Emma inicated she'd opted for smaller and lighter Elinchom D-lite heads.

My point is though good kit is out there and a fraction of dealers prices.

Ian

big paul 20th August 2021 07:17 AM

I bought a Bowens Traveller 1500G it came with three 500w heads ,with control over each head ,for the grand total of 140 .The power pack is not to big or to heavy and the flash heads are nice and compact ,and take all my accessories , and soft boxes .............

Martin Aislabie 21st August 2021 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big paul (Post 141240)
I bought a Bowens Traveller 1500G it came with three 500w heads ,with control over each head ,for the grand total of 140 .The power pack is not to big or to heavy and the flash heads are nice and compact ,and take all my accessories , and soft boxes .............

Good for you :)

Hope you have many happy years shooting all sorts of interesting things with them.

Martin


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.