Film and Darkroom User

Film and Darkroom User (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Print Exchanges (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Print Exchange 135, November 2021 (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=13973)

MikeHeller 24th October 2021 03:33 PM

Print Exchange 135, November 2021

Time to think about the Print Exchange for November 2021 – FADU Print Exchange Round 135.

All those who want to participate please post here and send me a PM to confirm your address if I do not already have it or you have changed it.
Closing date for registering your entry is Sunday October 31, 2021. Latest date for sending your print is Tuesday November 30, 2021. I am only looking for one print in a month.

I would add that if you do join the exchange and later encounter problems which prevent you from completing then please contact me by PM. Sometimes we do get confronted by the unexpected but if I and the other two people involved (sender and receiver) know you have a problem then it does take out the uncertainty in our minds and perhaps find a solution.

Print Exchange Rules
To start with you will have the remainder of this month to sign up, the cut-off being the last day of the month. If you wish to be included then make a post on this thread to that effect, and at the same time send me a PM with your name, and address, if necessary.
Head the PM with the title “FADU Print Exchange Round”, and add the round number.
At the beginning of next month those that have given me their details will be provided with the name and address of one other member to whom you will be expected to send your print before the end of the month.

You will not be told who has been asked to send you a print, so that it remains a surprise until you receive it. When you send your print please post to that effect on this thread, but do not say to whom you have sent it. We like to maintain the element of surprise until the last moment. When you receive a print please post to that effect on this thread, you may say who it is from and comment on it if you wish.

Anyone failing to send out their print without good reason will be excluded from future events. If you run into difficulty in this respect then please let me know.
If you wish to participate then confirm your intention on this thread and also send me a PM with your name and address.
The selection process will be as random as possible, and I will try and ensure that you receive a print from a different person in each round although eventually there will be some repetition.

There is a Gallery for posting your print after it has arrived with the recipient. It is not compulsory but it does make the Exchange more interesting to all members of the forum and displays your work to others.

Rules
• Your print must have been printed from a negative exposed in a film camera
• Inkjet, digitally printed photographs, or computer manipulated images are not allowed
• Your print paper can be any size that will fit in an envelope up to A4 size
• The image may be any size or format
• Paper type and finish is your choice, as is the subject
• Alternative processes, toning or other treatments are all accepted
• It is recommended you provide some background information with your print to assist your recipient as this encourages interchange
• Don’t forget to enclose your details and FADU name so your recipient can thank you
• You are only responsible for the cost of posting your own print
• Please ensure you dispatch your print within the round month
• You must enjoy the experience
• If you have any queries or problems - please contact me as soon as possible.
Mike

PanFrank 24th October 2021 05:19 PM

Hi Mike,
Please count me in again.
Thanks, Frank

Bob 24th October 2021 06:12 PM

Add me in again please Mike :)

Terry S 25th October 2021 11:29 AM

In again please.

Terry S

MartyNL 26th October 2021 02:41 PM

Me too, please.

MikeHeller 26th October 2021 03:08 PM

I'm in again.

Mike

Michael 27th October 2021 09:18 AM

Once more here please, Mike.

BuzzNL 27th October 2021 02:07 PM

Please count me in again, too!

My previous print still hasn't been delivered after posting it 3 weeks ago and the round before that it took me two attempts to get it to the recipient, but I stay confident in the postal service... :D

TonyMiller 27th October 2021 06:36 PM

It's been a long time since I had a go but please count me in again please.

Michael 29th October 2021 03:09 PM

Sorry, Mike - please remove me from the list.

Uwe Pilz 30th October 2021 05:51 AM

I am in again.

MikeHeller 30th October 2021 05:44 PM

So far the following have opted to participate:

PanFrank
Bob
Terry S
MartyNL
MikeHeller
Uwe Pilz
Tony Miller

Please let me know if I have omitted anyone. Any other prospective participants have until the end of Sunday to post on this thread.

Thanks, Mike

skellum 30th October 2021 06:46 PM

Hi Mike- I'd like to be in for this round please.

MikeHeller 1st November 2021 10:31 AM

The list for participation in this Round is now closed. The following have opted to participate:

PanFrank
Bob
Terry S
MartyNL
MikeHeller
Uwe Pilz
Tony Miller
skellum

Please let me know if I have omitted anyone. PMs will be sent out in the next few days.

Thanks, Mike

MikeHeller 2nd November 2021 04:42 PM

PMs have been sent out. Please let me know of any non-receipts or any other problems.

Thanks, Mike

MikeHeller 2nd November 2021 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuzzNL (Post 141975)
Please count me in again, too!

My previous print still hasn't been delivered after posting it 3 weeks ago and the round before that it took me two attempts to get it to the recipient, but I stay confident in the postal service... :D

I have today heard from Richard Gould and he has sadly had to spend more time in hospital but he has received the print and hopes to be back with us next year.

Meanwhile on behalf of us all we wish him a speedy recovery.

Mike

Uwe Pilz 4th November 2021 05:54 AM

My prints are in the mail.

BuzzNL 4th November 2021 05:18 PM

Mine just got posted as well! :)

Bob 7th November 2021 10:12 PM

I have created the November Gallery for submissions - cheers.

TonyMiller 8th November 2021 04:51 PM

..and received today thank you, Uwe. A card and two prints. All three are well seen and printed but I especially like the 'window into nothing' print. The warmtone paper is particularily pleasing. I couldn't quite make out what developer was used so I'd be keen to see the details in the gallery. Thanks again, Uwe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uwe Pilz (Post 142116)
My prints are in the mail.

TonyMiller 15th November 2021 01:27 PM

Mine went away today in the post.

MikeHeller 16th November 2021 09:31 AM

My offering is in the post.

Mike

Terry S 17th November 2021 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuzzNL (Post 142123)
Mine just got posted as well! :)

And received with thanks Buzz. :) (Apologies but I've been busy and fallen behind with my mail.)

As well as a great 10" x 8" of a forest and lake, with the welcome addition of a horse and it's rider stopping to drink, Buzz has been kind enough to return to his darkroom, to provide me with two supplementary postcard size prints, printed on Ilford's MGV RC SATIN paper. I must have mentioned once or twice somewhere, how underrated I think that this paper is and how much I like it... :p

Both of the two postcards contain Highland cattle, which are one of my favourite animals, of which I saw a few whilst living in Scotland, some time ago now. One print is very dark and Buzz admits to have found it hard to print, as both the mother and her young were in the shadow of the forest. To be honest Buzz, even under bright light I find them hard to spot, but thanks for the effort involved, for most of us would have given up much sooner, I think.

The second postcard print is my favourite of the three prints, as I do love Highland cattle and this print is a lovely head and shoulders portrait of one, looking straight at the camera as well. A great shot indeed!

So, thank you once more for all the effort that you put in to your prints for me. They are all much appreciated. :)

Terry S

BuzzNL 18th November 2021 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry S (Post 142304)
And received with thanks Buzz. :) (Apologies but I've been busy and fallen behind with my mail.)

As well as a great 10" x 8" of a forest and lake, with the welcome addition of a horse and it's rider stopping to drink, Buzz has been kind enough to return to his darkroom, to provide me with two supplementary postcard size prints, printed on Ilford's MGV RC SATIN paper. I must have mentioned once or twice somewhere, how underrated I think that this paper is and how much I like it... :p

Both of the two postcards contain Highland cattle, which are one of my favourite animals, of which I saw a few whilst living in Scotland, some time ago now. One print is very dark and Buzz admits to have found it hard to print, as both the mother and her young were in the shadow of the forest. To be honest Buzz, even under bright light I find them hard to spot, but thanks for the effort involved, for most of us would have given up much sooner, I think.

The second postcard print is my favourite of the three prints, as I do love Highland cattle and this print is a lovely head and shoulders portrait of one, looking straight at the camera as well. A great shot indeed!

So, thank you once more for all the effort that you put in to your prints for me. They are all much appreciated. :)

Terry S

Thanks for your kind words, Terry! And indeed, you're solely responsible for me wanting to print more on satin paper... :D
It's been a real struggle to get the mother with her young printed even half decent, but I thought I'd throw it in anyway.
A good reason for me to go back to this place next spring, to hopefully capture a better version.
I'll upload them to the gallery later today!

skellum 18th November 2021 09:43 AM

Print gone this morning

Terry S 18th November 2021 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuzzNL (Post 142317)
Thanks for your kind words, Terry! And indeed, you're solely responsible for me wanting to print more on satin paper... :D

My pleasure Buzz. :)

And great to hear that you want to print more on RC satin paper now and I hope to slowly convert a few others, given time. :)

Terry S

Uwe Pilz 21st November 2021 06:30 AM

I just received a real wonderful print form Mike Heller. He photographed fresh shorn sheep in a shelter at an rather cold day. Most impressing was one of the sheep looked directly to Mike or it's camera.

Thank you very much

MartyNL 22nd November 2021 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyMiller (Post 142274)
Mine went away today in the post.

And it’s been in my my hands since the weekend, Tony, sorry about the delay!

What I really like about the print exchange rounds is that you don’t just get a send and receive photo’s but that you get to tell and hear more about the photographers journey and the process behind each of the images.
Tony’s sent an 8x10” contact print, made with a diy camera, on Foma film, using a brass lens with the lens cap as shutter and guessing the exposure! It’s turned out exceptionally well, also by his own admission, and in many ways, the whole journey chimes with my own which makes it all the more personal.

Great to see you back in the PE rounds, Tony, and many thanks for the print and the inspiration!

Regards,
Martin

TonyMiller 22nd November 2021 01:13 PM

Thanks Martin, it's definitely a journey - but an enjoyable one. Good luck with yours too!
Tony
Quote:

Originally Posted by MartyNL (Post 142378)
And it’s been in my my hands since the weekend, Tony, sorry about the delay!

What I really like about the print exchange rounds is that you don’t just get a send and receive photo’s but that you get to tell and hear more about the photographers journey and the process behind each of the images.
Tony’s sent an 8x10” contact print, made with a diy camera, on Foma film, using a brass lens with the lens cap as shutter and guessing the exposure! It’s turned out exceptionally well, also by his own admission, and in many ways, the whole journey chimes with my own which makes it all the more personal.

Great to see you back in the PE rounds, Tony, and many thanks for the print and the inspiration!

Regards,
Martin

PanFrank 22nd November 2021 07:14 PM

Posted my print today.
Frank

BuzzNL 23rd November 2021 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skellum (Post 142318)
Print gone this morning

And well received today.

Received a rather special print from Skellum today, beautifully printed on Art300 paper.
The photo shows one of the monuments of Glasgow Necropolis and the stairway leading to it.
It's taken with a Horizon Panoramic 202 camera in portrait mode, allowing for a large part of the stairway to be included in the frame, and at the same time showing the monument itself.

It's a dark and moody print, which is exactly how I would probably have tried to make the print myself if I were to print it.
Like yourself, with certain scenes I like to make a print to create a certain mood or feeling, rather than making it a "natural" print per se.
The texture of Art300 is very pleasing in this print.

I like it a lot, thank you Colin!

skellum 23rd November 2021 07:24 PM

Hello Sebastiaan.
Believe it or not there is an even gloomier version of this print, but I managed to restrain my self and send this one.
Thank you for the comments, I'll post it in the gallery shortly.

Terry S 26th November 2021 01:39 PM

Printed a fortnight ago, my offering was finally put into the post yesterday - Thursday 25 November 2021.

Terry S

MartyNL 27th November 2021 05:16 PM

My prints were posted today.

skellum 27th November 2021 09:49 PM

Arrived this morning from PanFrank.
A photograph taken specifically for the exchange. It's a quiet, peaceful scene taken in a local park with autumn leaves covering the ground. Taken on Large Format and contact printed it's full of subtle mid-tones and shadow detail.
The print is also a colour I can't place: what paper is this Frank, and is it toned?
Many thanks,
Colin.

PanFrank 28th November 2021 06:17 PM

Hi Colin,
Thank you very much. Sorry, forgot to write the tech specs in the letter. Film was FP4+ in Tetenal Ultrafin (just trying now for rotating). I guess you cannot guess the paper, because it is not toned. :-)
It is Ilford MGV glossy. I am still at the beginning of contact printing. Enlarged, the print would have likely have more contrast. This print had finally grade 3, after trying grade 2 firstly.
Frank

skellum 29th November 2021 07:18 PM

Frank, this is Ilford MG V??
I would never have guessed. I use either FB Classic or FB Warmtone for my prints, but for contacts I use RC paper. To my shame I'll buy anything on offer. Currently it's some kind of Fomaspeed from AG's clearance page.
This MG V looks positively warm in tone. I've just compared it to some old MG IV RC contacts and they are much more neutral in tone. Which paper developer are you using?

Of course, you'll tell me it's the same Ilford MG dev I use, and surprise me even more.

Bob 30th November 2021 05:41 PM

Sorry but mine is going to be a couple of days late hitting the post... Refurbishment has taken longer than expected (or rather, taken longer even than the amount longer I had allowed for...) and I only have previous prints on hand so need to make new ones. I'm in the rearranged and newly plumbed darkroom as I type but with toning etc it will be a couple of days to be ready to post :(

Hopefully things will go smoothly from now...

PanFrank 30th November 2021 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry S (Post 142454)
Printed a fortnight ago, my offering was finally put into the post yesterday - Thursday 25 November 2021.
Terry S

Hi Terry,
Well received and highly enjoyable, not only in the cloudy and windy day we had today. The Crooked House is surely fun. This spinning wheel is marvellously framed drwas you in & up with this view and the cut edges.
Thanks & best wishes!
Frank

PanFrank 30th November 2021 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skellum (Post 142510)
Frank, this is Ilford MG V?? Of course, you'll tell me it's the same Ilford MG dev I use, and surprise me even more.

Hi Colin,
Yes MGV glossy, which replaced the Adox MCP as standard paper,because the latter is currently out of production. The paper developer saves our day now for us and always when I am usiing it. Of course, I am only using the best paper developer of the world. ;-) It's Moersch Eco 4812.
Cheers, Frank

Terry S 2nd December 2021 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PanFrank (Post 142524)
Hi Terry,
Well received and highly enjoyable, not only in the cloudy and windy day we had today. The Crooked House is surely fun. This spinning wheel is marvellously framed drwas you in & up with this view and the cut edges.
Thanks & best wishes!
Frank

Many thanks for the comments Frank. I'm glad that they got to you so speedily.

I have just uploaded them into the gallery.

Terry S

Bob 8th December 2021 06:41 PM

So, firstly apologies are due: I was called away unexpectedly and just got back home earlier today.

Waiting for me was a lovely print from MartyNL - it probably arrived last Friday/Saturday judging by its location under the pile of assorted final demands, circulars and solicitor's letters at the foot of the front door... ;)

A lovely printed and composed panorama of tree branches swooping down over Rydal Water (probably my favourite lake, along with its neighbour Grasmere). Added bonuses in the shape of a couple of 4x5 contact prints on self-coated paper - the detail and sharpness visible in the Ferris wheel's gondolas is surprising considering the matt paper finish.

Many thanks - both a great main print and equally interesting contact prints. Christmas came early!

Bob 8th December 2021 06:45 PM

Per my observation above, I was not able to get my print out on time this month due to stuff... but have now finally done so. Apologies again to the recipient for the delay - had I been better organised I would have got it sent out much earlier in the month...

MartyNL 8th December 2021 07:00 PM

Many thanks, Bob, much appreciated.

MikeHeller 13th December 2021 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 142634)
Per my observation above, I was not able to get my print out on time this month due to stuff... but have now finally done so. Apologies again to the recipient for the delay - had I been better organised I would have got it sent out much earlier in the month...

Not one or two prints but five prints arrived yesterday. One of them - a very bleak winter photograph of a tree and fells in the Lake District - was the official Exchange Print. When I lived in the Lake District as a student for some 5 years, I always found it very benign and unthreatening but then we had come from Aberdeen. A print from the Lake District not as I have it in my memory.

The other 4 prints were very varied and Bob says were left over from previous Print Exchanges: An interior of a deserted mansion with lovely light from a doorway and window, A cottage in a hill landscape with quarry waste visible and could be from this part of N. Wales, A sad sunflower bloom in front of an abandoned looking padlocked shed, and a warm toned print of a path through an open Scots Pine Woodland.

All worth waiting for, thanks very much and will join all my other prints from the Exchange in the second of two files of Exchange Prints.

Thanks, Mike