Film and Darkroom User

Film and Darkroom User (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   New products and offers (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   IlfordPhoto - 10% off chemicals until Midnight Monday 27 July 2020 (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=13321)

Mike O'Pray 24th July 2020 04:19 PM

IlfordPhoto - 10% off chemicals until Midnight Monday 27 July 2020

Self explanatory. Not a lot of time but if you need chems in the next week or so then worthwhile. I imagine that 10% brings most of Ilford prices to at least the level of the retailers and possibly better

Mike

alexmuir 24th July 2020 07:33 PM

Sounds like a good offer, but check the sponsors. I’ve been surprised in the past at how much cheaper they were, even with an offer like this.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mike O'Pray 24th July 2020 08:29 PM

Ignore the "cncals" bit I have no idea what that is. Possibly a mangled version of chemicals which I hadn't deleted after eventually typing it correctly:D

Mike

[Edit: I have pruned it out (pardon the metaphor - been faffing about in the garden a lot the last few weeks :) ) Cheers, Bob.]

Tom Kershaw 24th July 2020 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexmuir (Post 134700)
Sounds like a good offer, but check the sponsors. I’ve been surprised in the past at how much cheaper they were, even with an offer like this.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I agree, some of the prices direct from Ilford are a bit high.

Mike O'Pray 24th July 2020 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw (Post 134702)
I agree, some of the prices direct from Ilford are a bit high.

Certainly back in the day when Harman owned the place the executive, Simon Galley who was the customer face either stated or at least strongly hinted that it was never going to be the Harman policy to attempt to be a rival to their customers who were the major retailers. I can recall very few if any "money off" offers

Since then Pemberstone has bought what everyone refers to as Ilford and I detect a subtle but clear change of policy in all manner of things

Certainly these "quick buy it now " offers are much more frequent and while they tend to match dealer prices only on rare occasions and then for limited periods only I do think that the new owners are open to new ideas and are constantly assessing what is the best approach for Pemberstone.

If I were a retailer then I'd not be depending on IlfordPhoto to maintain the relationship that Harman had with retailers or the individual consumers. Nothing will remain "set in stone"

Mike

Tom Kershaw 25th July 2020 08:06 AM

The marketing direction from the current iteration of ILFORD Photo certainly seems to be much more targeted towards newer and more entry level users.

Bob 25th July 2020 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw (Post 134706)
The marketing direction from the current iteration of ILFORD Photo certainly seems to be much more targeted towards newer and more entry level users.

I felt the same about the previous incarnation - they also preferred to use facebook etc to primarily target the younger crowd. It makes sense as that is where future growth lies but it is a bit lazy - putting a post on social media and hoping that will trickle out to other interested users.

Once upon a time, manufacturers had marketing departments whose job was to make sure all potential customers knew what was happening. Now they have social media advisers and the customers tell each other what is happening on twitter. Guess which option is cheaper :D

Tom Kershaw 26th July 2020 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 134718)
Once upon a time, manufacturers had marketing departments whose job was to make sure all potential customers knew what was happening. Now they have social media advisers and the customers tell each other what is happening on twitter. Guess which option is cheaper :D

I know, it might be cheaper but doesn't always give such a good impression... Not everyone is on Facebook or at least wants to spend much time there.