Film and Darkroom User

Film and Darkroom User (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Filters (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Digital Filters. (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=13186)

Nat Polton 6th May 2020 08:13 AM

Digital Filters.

Idling through a couple of American Internet Shops, I have noticed a new
type of filter. At least it is to me.
Digital Filters.
Is this a sales ploy?.
Or is their something about them that makes them technically essential for digital cameras.
If the date was 1st of April I wouldn't bother writing this, but now my curiosity has been awakened.
Cheers.

Rob Archer 6th May 2020 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nat Polton (Post 133081)
Idling through a couple of American Internet Shops, I have noticed a new
type of filter. At least it is to me.
Digital Filters.
Is this a sales ploy?.
Or is their something about them that makes them technically essential for digital cameras.
If the date was 1st of April I wouldn't bother writing this, but now my curiosity has been awakened.
Cheers.

I've just bought a couple of 58mm Hoya filters off the auction site and they both have 'digital' written on them. I'm using them on my Mamiya 7ii! A filter is a filter AFAIK but I suppose it's marketing. 'Digital' makes it sound more modern. I've noticed a couple of cheap 'digital' tripods too!

Lostlabours 6th May 2020 09:22 AM

My little Slik tripod which I use with a 5x4 Super Graphic is marketed as a Digital tripod. I's an irrelevant marketing hype.

Ian

photomi7ch 6th May 2020 10:54 AM

I go along with what both of you have stated. :)

I had the same thing from a salesman in my local shop. He said it's a digital filter will that do? I said is it the size I want? Yes! then it will do :)

mpirie 6th May 2020 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lostlabours (Post 133092)
My little Slik tripod which I use with a 5x4 Super Graphic is marketed as a Digital tripod. I's an irrelevant marketing hype.

Ian

:slap:a digital tripod.......does it only have two legs? :D

Bloody marketing gone crazy !

Mike

John King 6th May 2020 01:37 PM

I use any sort of filter even uncoated ones and so long they are from a reputable maker. If I am using B&W I will even stoop to using Cokin acrylic ones. - Never had a problem!

Martin Aislabie 6th May 2020 08:35 PM

I had a conversation with a chap from B+W filters and asked what the difference is between their standard multi-coated filters and their digital filters were.

Nothing, other than the label was the reply.

Apparently, many amateur photographers were wary of fitting filters to their digital cameras than didn't carry the digital label.

However, recently Hoya have introduced a new digital multicoated range of filters - the theory being that digital sensors are effectively glass coated - and so prone to increased levels of flare - hence the need for improved filter coating.

I have from time to time bought new digital UV filters as the price was less than for a none digital filter - cost v volume - it is always worth checking.

Martin

Bob 7th May 2020 01:56 AM

There are digital filters - but they are software ones for Photoshop and the like. The last thing you need is to buy a filter and just receive a CD in the post or an email with a download link :D

MikeHeller 7th May 2020 11:48 AM

Does the same apply to lenses in either direction although the mounts can be different making the decision more difficult?

Mike

Nat Polton 16th May 2020 03:00 PM

https://www.freestylephoto.biz/9725-...veloper-500-ml

I have just found another advert of a dubious nature.
This time it is for "FOCUS-BOOSTING FILM DEVELOPER"
ROLLEI COMPARD RO9 FILM DEVELOPER.
Surely once a film is no longer behind the lens, and safely tucked away in the developing tank nothing can affect the focus of the actual image on the negative.
Or am I wrong?
Cheers.