Film and Darkroom User

Film and Darkroom User (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Darkroom (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Size of prints (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=3070)

akyiia 15th September 2010 05:50 AM

Size of prints

Hey guys, I am wondering about the size of prints you do or plan to do.. I am building my own darkroom and as I browse websites and look for developing trays I noticed I can't find any place where they sell developing trays larger than 20x24" (except for Silverprint who sells 37x48" trays for Ģ111.99 per piece) So my question is: does any of you print larger size than 20x24"..?? BTW, I don't want to create a duplicate thread so if this topic was discussed somewhere else
( I couldn't find any other thread but..) I think the administrator can just delete it after few days.

Neil Smith 15th September 2010 06:25 AM

I don't envisage doing anything larger than 20x16, but it did cross my mind that when I printed 6x12 larger trays would be useful. With 24x20 trays I could print 20x10 with a border, I did wonder if this would be large enough for exhibition, if I wanted large panoramas, so I got 3 trays which were approx 1.2m by 0.9m, which sounds the same size as the Silverprint ones you mention. Only problem is they are so big, I can barely fit them in the darkroom hence they are totally impractical in my darkroom (I didn't really think through how big an area they take up side by side) so it looks like I will have to stick to 24x20.

I have still got the large trays, as I was thinking that I could just about use them in my darkroom if I wanted, but the more I think about it the more I think it would be disastrous, I barely have room to move between the benches! and I can foresee chemical spills on a large scale:slap:

Neil

Dave miller 15th September 2010 06:45 AM

First off Akyiia we only delete threads that contravene our few rules.

I don't normally print above 12"x16" but when I need to I have a processing drum that will accept up to 20"x24".

I used to have a set of very large trays, which were very difficult to handle when full. One reason that they are so expensive is that they are made from very thick material.

We have discussed the problem of processing very large prints without trays on this forum so a search may be of help to you.

Richard Gould 15th September 2010 07:31 AM

Size is a personal choice, for myself I like smaller sizes, and I tend to print 9.5 by 12, I like the size and I like the idea that when my photographs are hanging people have to come close to look at them, and perhaps get drawn into the print, you will get much advice, but mine is to decide what you like, size is'nt everything,sometimes a smaller print beats a bigger one,Richard

Trevor Crone 15th September 2010 07:35 AM

So far I've never printed larger than 16"x20" - the added problems of large mounts, frames and storage, have been issues for me that have turned me away from doing big prints. I now rarely make enlargements bigger than 12"x16".

My photography these days is more towards making contact prints (4x5 to 8x10) - I just really enjoy the intimacy of small prints.

mono 15th September 2010 07:51 AM

I print my 35 mm negs up to 10 fold or not bigger than 24x36 cm and MF not bigger than 30x30 cm. That is the maximum size my positive scanner can handle. I have standardized on these formats.
Sorry about cm sizes, I will never get used to inch, feet ... I am too old for that stuff ;-)

And very good trays are the following ones which I have up to 50x60 cm photo size (they are bigger as you may see here: http://www.monochrom.com/cc/monoc/in.../210/de/96.pdf)

I like Trevorīs point of view of the intimacy of smaller prints, like Michael Kenna who makes small prints, too!
So I might reduce my print size in the near future...?

Kev M 15th September 2010 07:54 AM

I only print up to 16x12 but even that is a struggle with my equipment. I have an RRB 20x16 easel but the actual image area is only really around 16x12, the rest of the space is taken up by the blades of the easel so even if I stuck 20x16 paper in it there would be a minimum 2" border all around it.

The other problem I have is the size of the easel. The edge is so deep it butts up against the vertical post of the enlarger and pushes the printable area towards the centre of the base board making it difficult to fill a 16x12 area. Come to think of it, the widest picture I've managed so far is 14x11.

Either way, to print bigger would mean spending out on more gear and I've done more than enough of that lately. Out local competitions only accept images up to 16x12 anyway so I don't really have a reason to print any bigger than that.

Carl V 15th September 2010 08:35 AM

I do have trays which can accommodate a 16 x 20 print, but I very rarely ever print at that size these days. My usual print size is 10 x 8 and 9.5 x 12, and occasionally 7 x 5.

A few years ago I was printing on 8.25 x 11.75 which I liked as it allowed me to print virtually the whole negative frame if this was required, but I usually find I want to crop out certain parts of the negative anyway.

Paulographic 15th September 2010 09:22 AM

I don't print very large due to cost,storage, mounting/framing etc and also the cost to a potential buyer (when one comes along).
I now prefer smaller prints too.
But as my wet bench is just that, a bench with no drainage, I sit my dishes in larger ones to minimise spillage.
Some of the larger ones I picked up in my local garden centre.

Mike O'Pray 15th September 2010 12:24 PM

10x8 max. If I ever want to go larger then like Dave I have a Jobo drum. If I became serious about larger than 10x8 on a regular basis then I'd bite the bullet and buy a 12x16 Nova. Unless you have a lot of space, even three 12x16 trays take up a lot of room.

Something I don't think anybody has mentioned is: If you think large trays are expensive, try large easels for the prints!!

Mike