Film and Darkroom User

Film and Darkroom User (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Cameras - medium format (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Hasselblad 80mm CF Bay 60 to 67mm Adaptor? (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=12865)

KeithM 5th December 2019 04:31 PM

Hasselblad 80mm CF Bay 60 to 67mm Adaptor?

Just taken delivery of a 503CX with the 80mm Planar CF T* f2.8, which unlike the 80mm Planar C on the 500C I had earlier, is Bay 60. Always like to use a medium yellow filter and as I have a 67mm one, wondered if there is an adaptor ring to convert to Bay 60?

KeithM 5th December 2019 05:03 PM

Just answered my own question - doh! However, the Fotodiox ones I found on a certain big river site are castigated for having a very sloppy fit on the lens bayonet. Others listed are of unknown make, which makes me hesitate. May have to go for the Marumi one but as that has to come all the way from Japan, it will be some time next month before delivery. Hmmm...

Terry S 5th December 2019 05:10 PM

Not having a Hassleblad, can you tell me what this 'bay' system is please?

Does a 'blad have a different filter thread to the norm? If not simple 'step rings' are easy to find and buy.

Terry S

MartyNL 5th December 2019 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry S (Post 129206)
Not having a Hassleblad, can you tell me what this 'bay' system is please?

Does a 'blad have a different filter thread to the norm? If not simple 'step rings' are easy to find and buy.

Terry S

Terry the bay fittings are like lugs on tbe tip of the lens and accessories can be attached by rotating and positioning the prongs behind the lugs. Copies of the OEM's are often ill fitting.

KeithM 5th December 2019 05:19 PM

Terry, the Zeiss lenses on Hasselblad cameras do not have the more usual thread for filters etc. Instead, they have a bayonet fitting which is generally shortened to 'bay'. Depending on the particular lens, the bay comes in different sizes (older 80mm ones are Bay 50; the later 80mm I just acquired is Bay 60, having a larger diameter).

Also, the bayonet has two parts, external and internal such that a lens hood engages the outer lugs, whereas a filter engages the inner lugs. Simples! ;)

Bill 5th December 2019 05:20 PM

Terry, for Bay read Bayonet as is on the Rolleiflex cameras.

Terry S 5th December 2019 05:37 PM

All makes sense now. ��

I've also just read an older thread about it all and it appears that one can get a cheap adapter and then one can use the more regular screw in filters. Seems a good idea as I bet bay filters cost quite a bit more?

Terry S

mpirie 5th December 2019 06:08 PM

I would caution against buying a cheap B60 to 67mm filter adapter.

I bought one and realised soon afterwards that the fit is nowhere near that of the genuine Hasselblad adapter.

The genuine adapters come up on the auction site regularly.

Mike

Richard Gould 5th December 2019 09:37 PM

For these sort of adaptors I would always suggest looking at SRB, they make a lot of their own bits and pieces and they are very good quality indeed, I recently bought some Orange filters in various sizes for my hew Minolta lenses, multi coated. fits like a dream, and I have used SRB filters in the past, very good quality indeed and half the price of any other make
Richard

KeithM 9th December 2019 02:31 PM

Ordered a used Marumi adaptor Thurs evening and it arrived Sat morning - whilst I was out and about on the Ridgeway in conditions where a yellow filter would have been very useful. Anyway, the fit of the bayonets is very good - no slackness or movement once in place. Ditto for the screw-in filter. :)

MartyNL 9th December 2019 05:11 PM

Good news Keith.

Now don't even begin to ask about how to combine filters AND a lens hood!:)

KeithM 9th December 2019 06:17 PM

:) And lens cap!

About eighteen months ago I sold two CB lenses and the proper Hasselblad Bay 60 yellow/green filter - after all, I no further need for the filter...

mpirie 9th December 2019 09:25 PM

You need to be careful when stacking two filters with the CFE50mm.

A polariser and yellow will cause vignetting with the 50.

Mike