Film and Darkroom User

Film and Darkroom User (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Cameras - Large Format (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Shen Hao gets a day out (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=6736)

skellum 2nd March 2013 01:08 AM

Shen Hao gets a day out

So, I've been shooting mostly MF recently and re-discovering why the Mamiya C330s was my first pick camera for so long. However, I've set myself a project which will involve shooting some architecture and the Shen Hao is the obvious choice for it.
Today I went out shooting churches in Stornoway. In the space of 3 hours, first, I had someone stop the traffic- too busy checking out what I was doing to notice the lights had changed.
Then, explained to 2 different people what the camera was, and let them look under the dark cloth.
Then, had to explain that although it LOOKED old it wasn't really.
Then got laughed at by a bunch of school kids.
Then had a nice chat with a ministers wife about why I wasn't using digital.
Then had a chat with a different ministers husband about life in general.
Then had to explain that the camera used FILM, and no, it couldn't do Video.
In between times I managed to shoot 9 sheets.
The moral of my tale? If you want to meet people and have stimulating conversation take a 5x4 view camera out in daylight. As for taking photographs, I'll continue my project at 8.30 AM on Sunday, when the streets are quiet . . .

Delta 24th May 2013 04:19 PM

A great story! Actually it reminds me how nice people can be sometimes...

.. and every single time I forget to ask people if I can take their portrait for them (me).

FilmAyrshire 24th May 2013 04:23 PM

Photographing on the Sabbath in Stornaway! You're get stoned or lynched or taken to hear the psalms!

Great way to meet people.

ft

photomi7ch 24th May 2013 05:15 PM

Surperb story and manged to take some pic's as well :)

DavidH 29th May 2013 07:23 PM

I don't have a LF camera but find that my Mamiya C3, Rolleiflex and Kiev 60 can all attract attention. Folders have a similar effect.
Usually it is in the form of polite curiosity, and surprise that I can still get the film.

Adrian 29th May 2013 07:47 PM

Yeah it happened to me too - I was shooting LF in Salisbury Cathedral recently and a nice chap came up to me and said, "Gosh that must be a really old camera". I told him it was quite new and I'd built it myself - that was it - totally fascinated. I showed him the ground glass, "it's upside down", let him trip the shutter, and we ended up chatting about the fantastic architecture for 10 mins. Definitely the photographic equivalent of carrying a dog lead!

skellum 29th May 2013 09:38 PM

So, as a small addendum- went out the other evening to catch some late sun and long shadows in the Castle grounds. Found a spot with backlit branches against a dark background. Set up fast, under the dark cloth, but somehow couldn't get the composition right. In frustration pop out from under the cloth to find a couple waiting patiently for me to finish, rather than walk through my field of view!!
Yes, Obi-wan, see the power of the LF camera!

skellum 29th May 2013 09:44 PM

Just realised how often I mention 'the castle grounds' as if every living soul understood.
The Isle of Lewis is a wind-swept expanse of peat bog and low hills. interesting cliffs around the edges, and nothing grows taller than a sheep can reach. The sonly exception is in Stornoway, where Lord Leverhulme planted out an area of mixed wood-land. It's a small area, but full of secret little nooks for photographers.
It's world famous in Stornoway . . .

Adrian 30th May 2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skellum (Post 81254)
Just realised how often I mention 'the castle grounds' as if every living soul understood.
The Isle of Lewis is a wind-swept expanse of peat bog and low hills. interesting cliffs around the edges, and nothing grows taller than a sheep can reach. The sonly exception is in Stornoway, where Lord Leverhulme planted out an area of mixed wood-land. It's a small area, but full of secret little nooks for photographers.
It's world famous in Stornoway . . .

You lucky thing! The nearest castle to me is St John's Castle at Odiham, Hants. It's basically a pile of rubble surrounded by trees. Not very photogenic. Can't wait to go on holiday there - Lewis I mean, not Odiham :)

lithprinter 31st May 2013 08:58 AM

I was in Connemara a few years ago with my Shen Hao and tourists kept stopping by the side of the road to take snaps of me with their tiny digicams. They must have thought I was some mad Irishman who had let the digital revolution pass him by. Someone even asked me to get back under the darkcloth for their shot. I thought it was quite ironic.