Film and Darkroom User

Film and Darkroom User (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Cameras - medium format (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   !st Images from my recently acquired Bronica SQa (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=14261)

John King 16th June 2022 09:07 PM

!st Images from my recently acquired Bronica SQa

5 Attachment(s)
I got it about a month ago but have not been able to get out and about (back problems). But These are some of the better ones taken yesterday Taken with either the standard 80mm or the 5mm WA
Forma pan 200160iso Dev in ID11 in Jobo for just over 10 mins. I have not had time to print them but these are scanned. A print would be far better. (and sharper).

MartyNL 16th June 2022 10:03 PM

I think photography is the only place where being square is cool! :)

John King 17th June 2022 07:26 AM

The differences

After quite a few years of using auto focussing, auto exposure with the built in meter and 35mm film, it wasn't quite what could be called a culture shock, but I made some basic errors. Such as, several instances where the exposure wasn't correct, because in my enthusiasm I had forgotten to transfer the meter reading to the camera.:o
Then the times where the shutter didn't fire because I had forgotten to remove the film back slide. Coping and juggling with reduced depth of field when using longer focal length lenses. Then of course the extra weight of the camera and 3 lenses. I am getting there.......possibly via chiropractor!:D

B&W Neil 17th June 2022 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John King (Post 145443)
After quite a few years of using auto focussing, auto exposure with the built in meter and 35mm film, it wasn't quite what could be called a culture shock, but I made some basic errors. Such as, several instances where the exposure wasn't correct, because in my enthusiasm I had forgotten to transfer the meter reading to the camera.:o
Then the times where the shutter didn't fire because I had forgotten to remove the film back slide. Coping and juggling with reduced depth of field when using longer focal length lenses. Then of course the extra weight of the camera and 3 lenses. I am getting there.......possibly via chiropractor!:D

A good choice John - Bronis are lovely cameras and a joy to use. I've used them a lot in the past but sadly not now. I enjoyed your Beamish negs too and they should make some very nice prints.

Enjoy :-)

Neil.

Martin Aislabie 17th June 2022 11:44 AM

A very nice set of negatives.

I hope that you find life with the Bronica to be a happy one.

People I know who have them are very happy with them.

I sometimes use an RB67 but always with a tripod - the back strain of holding up a MF to take shots is too much.

Of course the tripod is yet another thing to carry - but I find alternating arms helps a lot.

Martin

Mike O'Pray 17th June 2022 11:58 AM

Well, all your shots you have shown us taken with the 2 focal lengths of 80 and 50( I take it that it was 50 and not 5 :D) are all good and have the right DoF or as good as you need it to be

The Foma at 160 has turned out well

Mike

John King 17th June 2022 02:36 PM

Mike no it was 50! My tripod is a Manfrotto 55b with a huge Manfrotto B&S head so yes that is heavy. I do have a shoulder-strap which screws to the underside of the QR shoe and loops around the bottom of the legs and is quite comfortable to walk with but still adds 12-14lb to the load. The images were all taken on the tripod - why carry it if you are not going to use it! But more importantly some of the exposures were in the region of 1/2 second, such as the barrels where I had to stop down to F16 to get the depth of field and the one in the woods was around 1/4 sec.

I was a bit disappointed with the Fomapan because it seems to be quite sensitive to post developing scratching. From the developing to the scanner was no more than a couple of hours but when they were scanned there are a lot of very fine tramlines visible in the lighter areas.
When I use FP4 etc the film dries more or less without curl either across the film or down it's length. The Foma, when I took it down from the drying rack and removed the clips, it tried to curl up like a clock spring and this is why it was not flat in the scanner and consequently is not as sharp as it should be. Hopefully I will be able to print a couple of the negs tonight and see if I can improve them

Terry S 17th June 2022 02:50 PM

You've some good scans there John, so printing should be better. :)

I found the Beamish Museum pictures interesting, so looked up their website, which gives a good bit of info for visitors, but no where on the site could I find their address and how to get there!?!...

Enjoy your SQA. I have a SQB, that I get out occasionally and love using it very much and always with a tripod.

In fact, your post has made me think of getting it out for a session, although I have 2 x 35mm and 1 x 120 films loaded in different cameras at the moment that I need to finish first, I suppose, but then again, what's the harm in having 4 rather than just 3 cameras loaded and ready to go? :)

Terry S

KevinAllan 17th June 2022 02:57 PM

Interesting to see you got away with using a tripod, John - the Beamish website now states "the use of tripods, monopods, supplementary lighting or drones is not permitted." Perhaps they only enforce that indoors or in otherwise crowded areas. I've used tripods there many times in the past and I'm not sure when this rule was introduced. I'd like to shoot large format at Beamish but a tripod ban would make that impossible.

Nat Polton 17th June 2022 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinAllan (Post 145451)
Interesting to see you got away with using a tripod, John - the Beamish website now states "the use of tripods, monopods, supplementary lighting or drones is not permitted." Perhaps they only enforce that indoors or in otherwise crowded areas. I've used tripods there many times in the past and I'm not sure when this rule was introduced. I'd like to shoot large format at Beamish but a tripod ban would make that impossible.

Nice pictures.

The answer is a bi-pod

A taller version of the ones used on rifles.;)

Cheers.