Film and Darkroom User

Film and Darkroom User (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Darkroom (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   darkroom black out (put that bloody light out) (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=11030)

big paul 29th May 2016 07:23 PM

darkroom black out (put that bloody light out)

I am having another go ..my black out material is on the way out ,I see RK photographic sell Lastolite darkroom window set ,they seem to sell it ready cut to size but I need it bigger , has anybody tried or use this black out material is it completely light proof ,or if you know of anywhere else I can buy light proof material ,I have been thinking of using plywood but whatever I use I must be able to take it down and put it back up without to much difficulty . How have you solved this problem I need to load film during the day so my room must be light proof
let hope I do this one right...

www.essexcockney.com

andycmcr 29th May 2016 07:28 PM

I use that garden weed netting (heavy duty) and plywood boarding over it on my darkshed, seems to be lightproof that way after caulking up the joins and tops

paulc 29th May 2016 09:06 PM

I used two layers of blackout cloth from a local fabric store - It is quite thick and normally used as a curtain liner.

To attach the material to the window frame, I use self-adhesive velcro strips. One side stuck to the window frame, the other to the blackout cloth. Don't sew the stuff on or else you will end up with a nice neat row of pin holes providing a line of light leaks.

A similar arrangement works over the door.

alexmuir 29th May 2016 11:47 PM

I bought blackout material some years ago from Nova, I think. It came from a roll, so fixed width, but any length. It's fixed with the Velcro tape. Have a look at their website. They may still do it.
Alex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brock 30th May 2016 12:40 PM

Kitchen tin foil does the job.

www.theonlinedarkroom.com

Richard Gould 30th May 2016 02:36 PM

Firstcall photographic do darkroom blackout material, I believe they do a couple pf types, some suitable to be used as darkroom curtain types
Richard

John King 30th May 2016 07:47 PM

I used some of the Firstcall material on a wooden framework and it worked well up to a point. My house faces south and when the sun shines on the house, my darkroom which is in the spare front bedroom, shows a faint visible glow through the material from the sun. Otherwise it is light-tight

I used the remaining material I had left over to cover the other side of the frame and that now makes sure that there is no light seepage.

RichardWarom 31st May 2016 04:35 AM

I also use the material from Firstcall and found it work very well, but like John had to double up on a south facing window.
Richard

marty 31st May 2016 11:08 AM

Hi, there. I'm using two 12mm plywood panels seated in the glass frames. I just cut them square to exact fit and applied a thin frame to outside face to prevent them going in too far and block small leaks. Applied a couple of handles for easy removal. I also did hang a thick fabric curtain I had lying around to kill any residual leak.

Cheers, M.

Martin Aislabie 31st May 2016 03:45 PM

I used to use black-out cloth from RK Photographic hung from a wooden bar and pushed out to the sides by a couple of wooden rails.

It wasn't dark enough to safely handle film in the day time but was OK for printing.

During the day, after your eyes became adjusted to the gloom you could still see the shape of the window from behind the black-out cloth.

So, I had to do all my film handling at night or use a Film Tent

A couple of my friends used thick plywood screens across the windows mounted in to wooden frames to control peripheral light leaks - thin plywood wasn't always completely light tight. When they were single they would leave the plywood screens up permanently but this wasn't so acceptable when they were in long term relationships.

For my new darkroom (still in the planning stages), I'm going for a Richards of Hull darkroom blind - http://www.richards.uk.com/decora.htm

I used the darkroom blinds at University and they were excellent.

Martin