Film and Darkroom User

Film and Darkroom User (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Toning (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Help with toning (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=11339)

SanMiguel 7th January 2017 06:06 PM

Help with toning

A quick ask for help from those more knowledgeable than me (which I think includes just about everyone on FADU :)

I've been trying to tone a print and as usual, made several prints to work with. I'm using Fotospeed Sepia Toner, as well as Fotospeed Selenium. Trouble is, every single print has come up with strange-looking darkish stains when dunked in the bleach of the sepia toner. They're in different places every time and some disappear in the final print but others are still faintly noticeable - to me at least, since I know where to look :)

So...is this likely to be a washing problem, a fixing problem or something else? I'm using Kentmere VC Select, a resin-coated paper which tones quite nicely. I've the print looking how I want it, except for the blasted marks on it.

I usually wash under running water for about 10-15 mins, probably closer to 15 today since I was hoping for a 'final run' on this particular negative. But it appears I'll be re-visiting it again sooner than expected...

I was using a Nova slot processor with 2-bath fix. I'm not great at keeping count of how many prints I've put through the thing and I'm probably due to dump Fix1, replace it with Fix2 and make a new Fix2, but it could be I've simply exhausted both.

Any help/suggestions/advice greatly appreciated.
Michael

B&W Neil 7th January 2017 06:30 PM

It is difficult to say exactly what the problem is without seeing the print/s but I would look at insufficient fixing and / or washing.

Neil.

Richard Gould 7th January 2017 07:02 PM

As Neil says, without seeing the print it is difficult to tell what the problem is, I have used the kentmere paper, best RC paper for toning, The only time I have had problems with it was in sufficient washing, I also suggest that you dilute the bleach and toner a lot more than Fotospeed suggest, I haven't used any fotospeed toner for a few years, I prefer the Foma sepia, or any two bath toner, not the 3 part, I dilute the bleach for any toner at twice the given ratio, if they say 1/9 the I will dilute 1/20, 50 parts of bleach concetrate to 1 liter of water, same for the toner, double the dilution rate, It works fine and is a lot more controlable, also, make sure the toner is warm I find at around 22 to 24 it works better, for toning RC paper I wash for 5 minutes at least, also do not two bath fix with RC, you don't need to, it can make it harder to tone, I suggest that fixing for 3 minutes in fixer diluted 1/9 is more than plenty, over fixing can also lead to the problem you are having so,fix for 3 minutes at 1/9, wash for at least 5 minutes, then tone straightaway do not let the print dry befpore toning, otherwise you need to soak the print for 1/2 hour before bleaching, Hope this helps, let us know how you get along
Richard

cliveh 7th January 2017 08:55 PM

You need to wash the prints for at least 30 minutes.

John King 7th January 2017 09:52 PM

I will go along with the last answer. A print to be toned has to be well and truly washed to remove ALL the fixer so that the bleach will act upon the emulsion prior to going into the toning bath.

MartyNL 7th January 2017 10:22 PM

Michael, since you're open to suggestions, you may find this post about alkaline fixers on apug useful.

maltklaus 8th January 2017 12:01 PM

Wash well and use a hypo bath prior to washing. Any error and sloppy work during processing will inevitably show up during toning.

Richard Gould 8th January 2017 12:39 PM

With RC paper you do not need to use hypo clear, or to wash for 30 min, 5 to 10 min wash is fine, at least, for me with Kentmere VC select RC paper it has always has been, I used it for toning for years, long before the Harman buy out, and since, I have some in stock all the time as it is simply the best RC paper for sepia toning, it tone very much like FB paper, with out the disadvatages of FB paper, such as long wash times and Hypo clear, so,what I always do with this paper, fix in 1/9 fixer for 3 minutes, wash for 5 to 10 minutes, use toner and bleach at half strength, you should be fine, you will sometimes get these black marks, it is just something that happens no matter how careful you are, it will evan happen with FB paper, I do not no why, but it should only be very rare, happens in perhaps 1 in 30 or 40 sheets to me with any paper,
Richard

SanMiguel 8th January 2017 04:00 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies, all much appreciated. I haven't had this problem before and haven't changed my routine, hence my question. Perhaps I've just been lucky up to now.

So...I shall increase my wash times and see how things progress. It's kind of annoying when you've spend a couple of hours getting the print come out of the fixer the way you want it only to see all your work come to nothing 10 seconds after it gets immersed in the bleach. All part of the learning curve I guess.

Regards,
Michael

photomi7ch 10th January 2017 04:46 PM

You say you are using Kentmere RC gloss. I use this paper a lot I fix for one minute in rapid fix and then store the prints in a water bath until I finish my print run as I do not have running water in my darkroom. When the print run is finished they then get a further wash for about a minute.

If the stains on your print are purplish it is the fix. Any other colour stains could be contaminated fingers?