Film and Darkroom User

Film and Darkroom User (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Chemical formulae (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Homemade Fix!? (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=3618)

FionaPhoto 3rd January 2011 03:16 PM

Homemade Fix!?

Hi there!

I was wondering if someone could help me please? I'm looking to find out if there is anyway of making your own print fix solution? I am currently trying to do a bit of lith printing in my loft and I have no fix! Is there a way of making my own using accessible chemicals? Scary thing is I am working to a deadline and don't think I have time to order any solution.
If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it!

Barry 3rd January 2011 04:08 PM

Firstly, welcome to fadu Fiona

There's one recipe here or further here

FionaPhoto 3rd January 2011 05:29 PM

Hi Barry!

Many thanks for your fast response, thats great! I'll see how I get on with one of these options or failing that I'll try and order some fix online and next time never leave my work so late!! Thanks again!

Mike O'Pray 3rd January 2011 06:12 PM

If you can't DIY and have a Jessops nearby you can check the online store availability. If there is fix( it'll be Ilford) at your nearest store then you can buy on line and usually pick up within 45 mins of ordering.

Not the cheapest but not outrageously priced and by far the quickest way of obtaining it when up against a pressing deadline.

Mike

pentaxpete 3rd January 2011 06:52 PM

can I add that a camera club member GAVE me a sack of Hypo ( Sodium Thiosulphate ) crystals and I make up my own print fixer now using the 'Alkali Fix Formula' :
Hypo Crystals 250 grams
Sodium Sulphite ( anhyd) 15 grams
Sodium Metaborate 10 grams
Warm water to 1 Litre
This is much better than the 'Acid Fix' I used to use with Sodium Metabisulphate in as that one used to grow strange 'Alien Growths' in it and this one remains clean !
I use TWO fixing baths then get 4 times at least the life out of the fixer-- a minute in first bath A and 3 minutes in bath B then wash.

Rob Archer 3rd January 2011 06:56 PM

Do you use it full strength, or do you dilute the stock solution for use? What sort of capacity do you get? I've been making my own devs for some time, but I'm not sure fix is worth the effort - convince me otherwise!

Rob

pentaxpete 3rd January 2011 07:13 PM

Rob : I thought this was used un-diluted so that is what I use -- only the Ammonium Thiosulphate ones seem to be diluted as the stock solution is stronger . It lasts for many months of B&W printing on and off -- I test it by taking out about 5 mls and dropping in a couple of drops of a 4% Potassium Iodide solution ( 4 grams in 100mls water) and if there is a yellow precipitate formed ( in the First Bath A) I ditch that ( down the Bog ! ) and then pour Bath B into the A container and make up a fresh Bath B.
I would add that I make up 4 litres of each, not just the 1 Litre so multiply the amounts by 4 .

I used to buy a 100 weight sack my self every few years but chemical supply companies have got less and less willing to sell -- the last time there was a company I found off the M25 near Waltham Cross -- now I have a FREE sack it lasts me years -- it needs a good FILTER with cotton wool though as it was in a loft for years and years and full of brown dust !

Domingo 9th May 2011 07:30 PM

I've found this older message and thinking about if the solution is really effective for film and/or paper. Seems really easy and inexpensive to prepare...

Richard Gould 9th May 2011 08:18 PM

Fiona, Welcome to Fadu, don't know where you are, but if you are anywhere near Birmingham then it might be worth phoning Matt at AG, one of the sponcers of this forum, he couldd get it to you within 24 hrs, or you could pick it up, If you are in London then Silverprint would be able to help,
Richard