Film and Darkroom User

Film and Darkroom User (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/index.php)
-   FADU YEARBOOK 2015 (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   FADU Yearbook 2015 (http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=10391)

Xpres 20th April 2015 05:33 PM

FADU Yearbook 2015
 
1 Attachment(s)
Les McLean has kindly offered to edit and produce a FADU yearbook once again for 2015, so I cordially extend an invitation to all FADU friends to submit entries for inclusion in this year's edition.

Like last year you can submit up to four photographs for consideration and at least one will be included, although once again Les has the last word.
Anything goes, as long as it's 100% analogue and, as before, a maximum paper size of 10x8 or A4 with a border to allow for easy handling and scanning.

This year Les proposes to give the book a simpler look without an 'essay' or any biographies so no need for any artist's statements.

The closing date for entries is 1st September giving us more than four months to prepare and submit photographs! So no excuses! With a long lead time it's hoped that as many FADU friends as are able will have the opportunity to be part of the book this year... including me! So get thinking about those masterpieces now and start the ball rolling.

All being well the yearbook will be ready in good time for Christmas.

Les will provide weekly updates and sneak previews of submissions and progress, so we'll all be kept on our toes and not allowed any of 'the dog ate my homework' type excuses for not handing in our work. :D

So... four photos to Les by September 1st...

Let's go! :)

A pdf entry form is attached to this post for you to print out, fill in and include with your submission.

David Brown 20th April 2015 09:34 PM

On my calendar with a personal deadline of August 1st to get them in the mail! :)

CambsIan 21st April 2015 04:45 PM

Count me in, plenty of time to sort myself out.

Les - Just a thought but if I wanted to could I submit a home developed slide?

Ian

Les McLean 21st April 2015 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CambsIan (Post 102134)
Count me in, plenty of time to sort myself out.

Les - Just a thought but if I wanted to could I submit a home developed slide?

Ian

Nice idea Ian but I'm afraid I have to say it cannot be allowed on the grounds that in my view the image becomes a photograph only when it is printed. After all the forum members supporting the book will produce a print from their negative to submit for selection therefore I feel that you should produce a print from your transparency.

CambsIan 21st April 2015 07:43 PM

Hi Les, thanks for the reply, no worries, as I said just a thought.

Will stick to prints.

Ian

Dave Hall 29th April 2015 01:49 PM

The 2015 Entry form says "Details of Photographs entered". Does this simply mean title or is more information required?

Xpres 30th April 2015 10:09 PM

It's up to you what information you provide, but in essence, yes, a title.

Les McLean 7th May 2015 03:00 PM

David Hall has started the ball rolling. His 4 prints arrived this morning, thank you David. I'll post a scan of one of them in the next couple of days.

chisel 1st July 2015 11:25 PM

Posting to give myself a boot to take part in this. Will get some prints off in the next few weeks.

Derek Lincoln 2nd July 2015 07:22 AM

Sent my 4 at start of week to make sure they have gone!!!

Derek

Les McLean 3rd July 2015 12:21 AM

Thanks Derek, they arrived a couple of days ago. I'll scan one of yours and David Hall's when I can.

My wife has just been discharged from the Burns Unit of the RVI in Newcastle having accidently pouring some very hot liquid over her right foot some weeks ago. The injury required some skin grafts and will incapacitate her for some time which will require me to spend a lot of time helping her get better. I'll also need to do a lot more around the house as well as shopping etc.

Therefore can I ask those who intend to enter prints for the book to let me have them as soon as possible instead of waiting until nearer the closing date. This will enable me to work on them is short snatches when I'm free from helping my wife.

Your cooperation would be very much appreciated.

CambsIan 3rd July 2015 07:12 AM

Hi Les, sorry to hear about your wife's accident, I hope that she has a full recovery.

I for one will hurry up with my prints and get them to you before the cut off date.

All the best to you and your wife.

Ian

photomi7ch 3rd July 2015 01:54 PM

The form asks for photograph details a part from the title of the picture and I know this is going to sound thick but what else should we include?

Sorry to hear Les of your wife's accident. Best wishes for her swift recovery.

Graeme 7th July 2015 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les McLean (Post 103303)
Thanks Derek, they arrived a couple of days ago. I'll scan one of yours and David Hall's when I can.

My wife has just been discharged from the Burns Unit of the RVI in Newcastle having accidently pouring some very hot liquid over her right foot some weeks ago. The injury required some skin grafts and will incapacitate her for some time which will require me to spend a lot of time helping her get better. I'll also need to do a lot more around the house as well as shopping etc.

Therefore can I ask those who intend to enter prints for the book to let me have them as soon as possible instead of waiting until nearer the closing date. This will enable me to work on them is short snatches when I'm free from helping my wife.

Your cooperation would be very much appreciated.

We don't know each other Les, but I'm sorry to hear of the accident, wishing Mrs M. a full and speedy recovery. I'll make an effort to avoid last-minute submission. Best Wishes,

Mark Snowdon 25th July 2015 08:42 AM

Hi Les,

4 prints sent off today.

Sorry to hear about the accident. I hope your wife gets well soon.

Best Wishes,
Mark

Les McLean 28th July 2015 06:39 PM

Mark,

Your prints arrived yesterday (Monday), thank you.

To date we have entries from 3 members only a long way short of the numbers we need and we now have only 34 days to get enough entries in to make a book. There were many members interested in producing year book but the support up to now is pretty poor so please make an effort in the next couple of weeks otherwise the whole project looks like a dead duck.

chisel 28th July 2015 09:51 PM

My 2 are drying, will be sending them in 2 days.....

skellum 29th July 2015 05:48 PM

Sorry Les!
I had prints in last time, and was looking forward to this years book but right now I'm out of action photographically.
We're right in the middle of moving home. Packed the darkroom kit a couple of months back, as it was in the kitchen- it seemed wise to make the place look less 'cluttered'.
On a positive note I might soon once again have a permanent darkroom, for the first time in years!!!
Unfortunately at the pace the conveyancing is going there's no way I'll be wet printing again anytime soon. Might just manage end of the year, way too late for this.
Wouldn't surprise me if a lot of work comes in at the last minute.
Cheers!

SanMiguel 30th July 2015 06:50 AM

I had hoped to get a submission but started a major darkroom renovation a few months ago which is still ongoing. It'll be September before I get it up and running, which is no help for this year's book - apologies.

Hopefully I can play a bigger part in Print Exchanges and future book projects. I hope you get enough submissions to proceed Les and that your wife makes a good recovery.

Michael

GoodOldNorm 30th July 2015 09:55 AM

It will be last minute for me, I am away for the next three weeks, will try and do a couple of prints and get them posted this weekend with two more to follow at the end of the month.August is a busy month with holidays etc. Les would extending the deadline to Sept. 11th help you and the contributors.

Les McLean 30th July 2015 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodOldNorm (Post 103719)
It will be last minute for me, I am away for the next three weeks, will try and do a couple of prints and get them posted this weekend with two more to follow at the end of the month.August is a busy month with holidays etc. Les would extending the deadline to Sept. 11th help you and the contributors.

Sorry Norman, everyone has had 4 months to make and submit prints for the book and to say now that you are away for the next three weeks and ask for a 10 day extension will not happen. Anything that arives after 1st September will not be considered.

You may have read the post that I made some weeks ago regarding my wife and the accident she had that required a skin graft. I requested members to try to submit prints early so I could have time to work on them while she was in hospital. To date I have received three submitions, a response that really is disappointing My wife is now home and can barely walk and requires me to do everything for her which is a full time job. I now have very little spare time but I will work at the book as much as I can provided there is enough entries from which to select 40+ prints.

MartyNL 30th July 2015 01:13 PM

Posted my 4 prints today. Hopefully they will arrive safe and sound.
Many thanks Les.

GoodOldNorm 30th July 2015 01:56 PM

[QUOTE=Les McLean;103722]Sorry Norman, everyone has had 4 months to make and submit prints for the book and to say now that you are away for the next three weeks and ask for a 10 day extension will not happen. Anything that arives after 1st September will not be considered.

That is fair by me, I was not asking for an extension for myself just wondered if other people were struggling to make the deadline and that was the reason for the poor input. Hope your wife makes a swift recovery and all goes well with the yearbook, regards, Norm.

GoodOldNorm 1st August 2015 08:28 AM

Prints in post

David Brown 2nd August 2015 09:30 PM

Prints in post tomorrow! Hope the boat gets there in time!

photomi7ch 4th August 2015 11:30 AM

Print were posted this morning first class recorded. This would have happened sooner if circumstance had not conspired against me.

Les McLean 4th August 2015 02:14 PM

Prints from Good Old Norman and Marty NL arrived today, thanks very much.

I now have 5 members prints so still a long way to go in just over 3 weeks.

skellum 5th August 2015 07:33 AM

Hi Les.
At this point I can't print, but could have a rummage in my 'archive', where I'm sure I could turn up a couple of images.
They most likely would not conform to your 10x8 with 1 inch margin standard. So, more work scanning??
In the next couple of days all my print boxes will be getting packed in preparation to move, so after this weekend all prints will become unavailable.
Happy to look if you feel it would be appropriate.
Cheers!!

chisel 6th August 2015 10:58 AM

My 4 are gone in the post today...

Les McLean 6th August 2015 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skellum (Post 103807)
Hi Les.
At this point I can't print, but could have a rummage in my 'archive', where I'm sure I could turn up a couple of images.
They most likely would not conform to your 10x8 with 1 inch margin standard. So, more work scanning??
In the next couple of days all my print boxes will be getting packed in preparation to move, so after this weekend all prints will become unavailable.
Happy to look if you feel it would be appropriate.
Cheers!!

Skellum, I can only scan A4 size prints anything bigger will not fit into my flatbed scanner

Les McLean 6th August 2015 06:24 PM

Photot Mitch your prints arrived this morning. Now we are six.

GoodOldNorm 8th August 2015 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les McLean (Post 103823)
Photot Mitch your prints arrived this morning. Now we are six.

Six :(Thats really disappointing, there are lots of great prints in our galleries, surely every member could send in just 1 print if they cannot manage 4. I am still a novice in the darkroom, I print too infrequently to get any good. Last week I managed to do 4 prints in an evening, they are probably not the best and I would be the first person to admit that as I have still a lot to learn. Surely it is not too much to ask each member to submit at least 1 print, after all it is supposed to be a bit of fun and an opportunity to show what you can do.

Les McLean 8th August 2015 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodOldNorm (Post 103854)
Six :(Thats really disappointing, there are lots of great prints in our galleries, surely every member could send in just 1 print if they cannot manage 4. I am still a novice in the darkroom, I print too infrequently to get any good. Last week I managed to do 4 prints in an evening, they are probably not the best and I would be the first person to admit that as I have still a lot to learn. Surely it is not too much to ask each member to submit at least 1 print, after all it is supposed to be a bit of fun and an opportunity to show what you can do.

Norman, many thanks for that post which I appreciate very much.

I recieved another two entries in todays post, thanks to David Brown (all the way from Texas) and Francis Morrin known to us as Chisel from Co Kildare Ireland. Now we are 8 but still a very long way from having sufficient entries to enable me to put together a Yearbook that FADU deserves.

photomi7ch 8th August 2015 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodOldNorm (Post 103854)
Six :(Thats really disappointing, there are lots of great prints in our galleries, surely every member could send in just 1 print if they cannot manage 4. I am still a novice in the darkroom, I print too infrequently to get any good. Last week I managed to do 4 prints in an evening, they are probably not the best and I would be the first person to admit that as I have still a lot to learn. Surely it is not too much to ask each member to submit at least 1 print, after all it is supposed to be a bit of fun and an opportunity to show what you can do.

Norm you just made four prints put them in the post and be part of the book. The book is supposed to be for everyone no matter what your ability. It is about taking part not floor-less images. :)

David Brown 8th August 2015 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les McLean (Post 103856)
I recieved another two entries in todays post, thanks to David Brown (all the way from Texas) ...

Wow! Those got there fast! :)

GoodOldNorm 9th August 2015 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by photomi7ch (Post 103857)
Norm you just made four prints put them in the post and be part of the book. The book is supposed to be for everyone no matter what your ability. It is about taking part not floor-less images. :)

I agree the book is for everyone, it is not a competition.

Tony Marlow 11th August 2015 10:15 AM

Quote:

Six Thats really disappointing, there are lots of great prints in our galleries, surely every member could send in just 1 print if they cannot manage 4.
Just to back up GoodOldNorm there must many people who have taken part in the Print Exchanges who have spare prints of the right size which could be submitted and put in the book. How about digging them out?

I have sent four prints off to you today Les.

Tony

Les McLean 12th August 2015 07:16 PM

Tony, your prints arrived this morning (Wednesday12th). Many thanks for your note regarding my wife's accident, we both appreciated it.

Les McLean 13th August 2015 06:25 PM

Prints received today from Keith Tapscott and Richard Warom

chefsteve 15th August 2015 06:41 AM

I have four prints ready to send. Hopefully get to post office this morning.
Steve

JohnnyAtari 15th August 2015 08:43 PM

I'm in the darkroom tonight, should hopefully be able to get four prints ready.

Les McLean 17th August 2015 10:32 AM

Steve Evans prints arrived in this morning's post and Steve, thanks for your note regarding my wife's accident we both appreciate your kindness.

davidgc 17th August 2015 01:45 PM

Having read Mitch's reply to Norm the guilt of not taking part (given my inexperience) has provided the proverbial kick up the pants and I have selected 4 prints that will be in the post tonight.
Apologies Les, for the last minute approach especially given your circumstance; I hope your wife is recovering quickly.
David

Les McLean 19th August 2015 11:36 PM

Prints received from David Cliffe and Bob Robertson yesterday 19th August. We are now 14.

Les McLean 20th August 2015 10:47 PM

Prints received from John Shiell today

Bill 21st August 2015 06:11 AM

I put 4 prints in the post last evening.

Bill

Les McLean 21st August 2015 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill (Post 104147)
I put 4 prints in the post last evening.

Bill

The prints arrived this morning Bill Thank you.

Michael 26th August 2015 08:34 AM

I sent off four prints yesterday and should have said so then: my apologies. They ought to arrive today.

Les McLean 26th August 2015 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 104255)
I sent off four prints yesterday and should have said so then: my apologies. They ought to arrive today.

Your prints arrived on Wednesday morning Michael, thank you

David Brown 27th September 2015 01:56 PM

What paper was used in the FADU yearbook? Blurb has a number of choices.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.